New York City Home Improvement Contractors - Business - Contractor Talk

New York City Home Improvement Contractors

Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Trade: Painting, flooring, remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

New York City Home Improvement Contractors

We have been a home improvement contractor in New York City since 2007. We need to carry liability and workers compensation policies to be able to work in coop and condominium buildings. It is getting harder and harder to obtain affordable insurance here and we are spending crazy amounts of money to carry insurance. How is everyone else able to stay in business in New York City if they are a small business?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,204

Re: New York City Home Improvement Contractors

NYC is real tough . No such thing as affordable. Some buildings want excessive liability, some even want action over coverage .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 7,249

Charge more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut

Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,182

NYC allows self inspections for electrical and plumbing in many instances which helps things along. Their paperwork requirements are crazy which is why most people hire expediters.

A guy I know who only works in NY said have a pocketful of cash, it goes a long way. At one job I did the inspector asked what floor ( no elevators ) contractor said 6th, inspector held out his hand, contractor gave him $100 and that was that, there were no other inspections after that.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #5

Trade: Residential and Comm Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epris View Post
We have been a home improvement contractor in New York City since 2007. We need to carry liability and workers compensation policies to be able to work in coop and condominium buildings. It is getting harder and harder to obtain affordable insurance here and we are spending crazy amounts of money to carry insurance. How is everyone else able to stay in business in New York City if they are a small business?
It's a struggle. I know in our business we need general liability, workers comp (which are through the roof), umbrella, Third party action, etc etc. Its especially hard when so many people can hire flyby-night contractors, or "someone" they know, and sneak in to the building (most of our work are in those smaller condo/Co-ops with part time staffs). Just make sure you build your brand, and really work on those sales skills. or in the most basic form, make your self more likable and trustworthy on the first meeting. Hopefully your work matches what you promise!