Need Some Advice On Dealing With A Possible Client - Business - Contractor Talk

Need Some Advice On Dealing With A Possible Client

Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Need Some Advice On Dealing With A Possible Client

To make a long story short, I bid a window and siding replacement job for a homeowner. I broke this out into 3 options depending on style and quality of windows. I knew going in I was bidding against two other contractors. I was able to turn my bid around in less then 24hrs from the point of intial contact. I have had emails back and forth answer any questions homeowner might have.

A week had past so I called, then emailed customer just to see if he had anymore questions. (The standard just to see whats up) Now I did pre-quailify and they have the means to do the work they want. He emailed me back saying he never got other bids, so he has another contractor coming out tomorrow so he has something to compare mine too. I'm really considering just saying, (What can I do to make this happen) I wanna eliminate everyone else if I can. I'm not worried about my pricing as I usually close about 70% of my leads, just wanna get this one as its a good money maker.

How would you approach?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: wood flooring
Rewards Points: 1,280

Re: Need Some Advice On Dealing With A Possible Client

he already told you what he is doing and its happening tomorrow..don't offer anything yet...it will only be used against you..

Advertisement

www.flortechardwood.net
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamestrd For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (07-17-2012), FGCC (07-17-2012), pinwheel (07-18-2012), thomasjmarino (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Thomas J Marino, Inc

Trade: Custom Home Builder/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

If you close 70% of your bids then why are you so concerned about this one?
You should have the confidence to know what the outcome will be.
Never, ever beg for work!
And don't ever let the owner think you are desperate!
2 Big No-No's!!!!
If you are comfortable with your bid and are confident that you will get the job then just be patient and wait it out.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thomasjmarino For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (07-17-2012), FGCC (07-17-2012), griz (07-17-2012), Jaws (07-17-2012), katoman (07-17-2012), pinwheel (07-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjmarino View Post
Never, ever beg for work!
And don't ever let the owner think you are desperate!
2 Big No-No's!!!!
This is good advice for your situation. I would do as you have tried to keep the dialog going and answer the homeowners questions.

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
thomasjmarino (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Contractor

I appreciate the advice! Points very well taken and thats the path I will take.

I'm def not desperate as I have work lined up, I was more or less saying why give someone a chance? Especially when you have already crushed 2 guys because they didnt even submit bids
Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Thomas J Marino, Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP CONST View Post
I appreciate the advice! Points very well taken and thats the path I will take.

I'm def not desperate as I have work lined up, I was more or less saying why give someone a chance? Especially when you have already crushed 2 guys because they didnt even submit bids
Can't wrap your mind around that sh*t.
You're never going to conquer the world.
Just lay back and groove.....
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Contractor

I hear ya, I wouldnt want the world anyway, just a very small chunk that can sustain my family and I!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Thomas J Marino, Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP CONST View Post
I hear ya, I wouldnt want the world anyway, just a very small chunk that can sustain my family and I!
You and me both brotha.
You and me both.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

It's water over the dam but you have to give them reasons before you leave the home.

I really enjoy meeting customers and I think many times the quality conversation we have ultimately seals the deal. You can't fake it though, like I said I enjoy talking to my customers and it's something I look forward to.

I was on a very competitive type job this morning and I pretty much felt I was gonna lose it. His personality over the phone just didn't seem ideal for me. When I arrived I noticed Ducati posters in the garage.....that's how I opened up the conversation. The actual job didn't get discussed until after we were done chatting about bikes.

He got so excited he asked me if I wanted to see his rare bike collection. He showed me and he was proud.

I got the job and I bet it was because I decided to talk about him and he didn't feel like I was gonna sell him. I build trust like this all the time but again - it's real and not fake.

Learn to enjoy the process, take it in and enjoy the reason we all got in the business in the first place.

Remember something very important, probably the most important aspect in your business really, we are in the relationship business. Construction is very unique, not many businesses require the amount of trust a customer needs to have to be confident in a sale. Construction companies that do very well all seem to have a common trait ~ relationships are front and center.

I'm not saying be best friends, not at all. But ask yourself constantly if you spent any time making your customer feel good. A customer that feels good will remember that and in this industry you can bet your competition doesn't. This is a real competitive advantage I'm talking about here. MASTER IT! Because if you master this and you are professional I will tell you from first hand experience you will exceed your dreams.

If you do that than you will never have to worry about missed customers because the ones that don't call back are not the customers you want.

Mike

Last edited by Oconomowoc; 07-17-2012 at 11:43 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
CompleteHome (07-22-2012), MattK (04-03-2013), Spaint90 (07-19-2012), TxElectrician (07-18-2012), Windwash (07-19-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
Contractor

I completely follow what your saying and I do that all the time. Even with this customer we discussed his massive collection of vintage items in the house from coke machines to old motorcycles and everything in between. They had an indoor pool, full of junk but I'm into that stuff so we talked about it all. I feel like the job will be mine in the end, was just curious to see what others thought about blocking the competition from even entering the race.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP CONST
I completely follow what your saying and I do that all the time. Even with this customer we discussed his massive collection of vintage items in the house from coke machines to old motorcycles and everything in between. They had an indoor pool, full of junk but I'm into that stuff so we talked about it all. I feel like the job will be mine in the end, was just curious to see what others thought about blocking the competition from even entering the race.
Well, before you leave the house tear the address sign off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
CompleteHome (07-22-2012), J F (07-18-2012), ROVACON (07-18-2012)
Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
It's water over the dam but you have to give them reasons before you leave the home.

I really enjoy meeting customers and I think many times the quality conversation we have ultimately seals the deal. You can't fake it though, like I said I enjoy talking to my customers and it's something I look forward to.

I was on a very competitive type job this morning and I pretty much felt I was gonna lose it. His personality over the phone just didn't seem ideal for me. When I arrived I noticed Ducati posters in the garage.....that's how I opened up the conversation. The actual job didn't get discussed until after we were done chatting about bikes.

He got so excited he asked me if I wanted to see his rare bike collection. He showed me and he was proud.

I got the job and I bet it was because I decided to talk about him and he didn't feel like I was gonna sell him. I build trust like this all the time but again - it's real and not fake.

Learn to enjoy the process, take it in and enjoy the reason we all got in the business in the first place.

Remember something very important, probably the most important aspect in your business really, we are in the relationship business. Construction is very unique, not many businesses require the amount of trust a customer needs to have to be confident in a sale. Construction companies that do very well all seem to have a common trait ~ relationships are front and center.

I'm not saying be best friends, not at all. But ask yourself constantly if you spent any time making your customer feel good. A customer that feels good will remember that and in this industry you can bet your competition doesn't. This is a real competitive advantage I'm talking about here. MASTER IT! Because if you master this and you are professional I will tell you from first hand experience you will exceed your dreams.

If you do that than you will never have to worry about missed customers because the ones that don't call back are not the customers you want.

Mike
Mike-i have had my differences with you, but you are dead on. Make a friend, build a relationship, build a business. Connect on a personal level, people buy from people. No one likes to be sold. If you are real and people feel that they will trust you.

OP- Fact is once you leave that house and drop your number and he wants to go out and get other quotes with other contractors. He either does not see the value in your product/service, does not trust you, or possibly both. There still is a slight uncertainty somewhere. He could just be a smart shopper and want to see another price..see if you are rediculous or not. Your best option now is to sit back and wait, dont ask about the other guys. If you have already followed up, give it time..week goes by no answer. Possibly follow up one more time, say your schedule is getting full and you would like to accomodate him. Assume the sale. You will get the no or go. Any questions will come out as well if he is on the fence.

Advertisement

Last edited by Spaint90; 07-19-2012 at 12:21 AM.