My Second Poached Employee - Business - Contractor Talk

My Second Poached Employee

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,623
Rewards Points: 18

My Second Poached Employee


Recently moved. One of the young movers had unbelievable hustle for the entire day, not to mention a generally nice guy. These guys get paid by the hour, not job. Not much incentive to be fast.
Even owns a house. He's got his life more figured out than most.

So I hired him as an entry level guy.

How else can you find employees?
Golden view is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-07-2018), Bull Trout (04-07-2018), KAP (04-07-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #2
Pro
 
Ohio painter's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,513
Rewards Points: 2,802

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Good for you. I was hoping you hadn't poached him from another contractor.

Advertisement

Ohio painter is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,623
Rewards Points: 18

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
Good for you. I was hoping you hadn't poached him from another contractor.
My first was poached from a glass contractor. I guess this is capitalism. Better pay and I treat them better.
Golden view is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-07-2018), Jaws (04-07-2018), Ohio painter (04-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
The Sheriff

 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23,949
Rewards Points: 6,738

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
My first was poached from a glass contractor. I guess this is capitalism. Better pay and I treat them better.
My field supervisor worked for one of my subcontractors, he heard that I was looking for a field supervisor to train to be a superintendent and asked to interview for the job. I told him I had reservations about that but he said he did not want to be in that trade, he wanted to be a builder and thought he would learn a lot working with us

I interviewed him and gave him a job, even at starting pay with no experience I paid him $4 more an hour, without knowing what he was making with his last job. Let's $8,000.00 more per year. Plus I do not ask them to work crazy hours, he works 40 to 45 hours a week, 50 is rare. He gets vacation and days off, a truck and a cell phone.

I don't know where the line is, to me it would be a **** head move to ask a subcontractor's hand if he wanted to go to work for me. I would never do that. Wouldn't discuss it in front of them or even imply that they should talk to me about it. But if they approached me about an open job position, we do not own our employees and it is a free country.

To be honest I would have done the same thing if I was that guy, it's a lot better job and will teach skills that will put him in a position to do his dream job later

As far as other contractors I'm not associated with I have got the phone numbers from guys that work for me of guys who are good Carpenters and called them and offered them a job, I did not ask or frankly give a s*** about whether or not they were currently employed or about their bosses situation. Their boss or ex boss is free to do the same.
__________________
"The sound of the saftey clicking off is the only warning your gonna get......., so cover your ears" Northeast Wyoming 2016

John
Jaws is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-07-2018), Golden view (04-07-2018), Ohio painter (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 24,360
Rewards Points: 1,360

Re: My Second Poached Employee


I had one I had as a summer helper go work for a moving company.
hdavis is online now  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,470
Rewards Points: 35,760

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Recently moved. One of the young movers had unbelievable hustle for the entire day, not to mention a generally nice guy. These guys get paid by the hour, not job. Not much incentive to be fast.
Even owns a house. He's got his life more figured out than most.

So I hired him as an entry level guy.

How else can you find employees?
Hustlers have a way of making themselves known without even knowing they are doing it...

Treat 'em right and provide opportunities for mobility and they more often than not end up being loyal...

Most guys want a home to be a part of to be able to do what they do while being compensated as a pro...
KAP is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (04-08-2018), Golden view (04-07-2018), TxElectrician (04-10-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,623
Rewards Points: 18

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
M

I don't know where the line is, to me it would be a **** head move to ask a subcontractor's hand if he wanted to go to work for me. I would never do that. Wouldn't discuss it in front of them or even imply that they should talk to me about it. But if they approached me about an open job position, we do not own our employees and it is a free country.
Totally agree. In fact, my other employee, from the glass co, approached me first. We have some mutual friends, and he's seen my stuff on Facebook and was really interested in doing more of a variety and learning new skills. He's turning into a capable lead. Got a good head on his shoulders and a kid to feed at home. Good combo.
Golden view is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Jaws (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,648
Rewards Points: 13,884

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Recently moved. One of the young movers had unbelievable hustle for the entire day, not to mention a generally nice guy. These guys get paid by the hour, not job. Not much incentive to be fast.
Even owns a house. He's got his life more figured out than most.

So I hired him as an entry level guy.

How else can you find employees?
I gave a card to a kid working at Qdoba a couple weeks ago. Hasn't called me yet though.
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Pro
 
Stryker1-1's Avatar
 
Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,170
Rewards Points: 2,350

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Personally I don't see the problem with poaching people from others.

I've always Said as an employer you should make sure your employees are so well looked after they never think about leaving for what ever reason.

Back when I worked in corporate I used to get calls several times a year from head hunters looking to poach talent it was commonplace.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Stryker1-1 is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Pro
 
flashheatingand's Avatar
 
Trade: H.v.a.c.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boise, Id
Posts: 3,915
Rewards Points: 3,522

Re: My Second Poached Employee


On occasion, I see some younger guy walking to / from work wearing a fast-food uniform. I think to myself, maybe I should offer that guy / gal a job doing hvac work.

At least they are showing up, and making an attempt.
__________________
http://www.37flash.com/
flashheatingand is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flashheatingand For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-08-2018), KAP (04-08-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #11
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
 
MOTB's Avatar
 
Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,031
Rewards Points: 3,302

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
How else can you find employees?
Finding good people is usually easier than you may think. I went from 0 to just under 30 people in my last company simply by creating an atmosphere where people wanted to work and make money, not just a place to go to only make money. So the first suggestion is to attempt to create an atmosphere where you are looking for someone to join your team as opposed to just finding an employee.

Next, a good way to start is to ask any current or former employee if they have any suggestions or recommendations. Very similar to asking current and past customers for any referrals. And perhaps you may not have gotten off well with someone in the past, but that doesn't mean things have not changed where they do happen to know someone in the field who is available for whatever the reason is.

Good luck with the effort.
__________________
Helping contractors find work with website marketing education & strategy planning
MOTB is offline  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #12
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,623
Rewards Points: 18

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Finding good people is usually easier than you may think. I went from 0 to just under 30 people in my last company simply by creating an atmosphere where people wanted to work and make money, not just a place to go to only make money. So the first suggestion is to attempt to create an atmosphere where you are looking for someone to join your team as opposed to just finding an employee.

Next, a good way to start is to ask any current or former employee if they have any suggestions or recommendations. Very similar to asking current and past customers for any referrals. And perhaps you may not have gotten off well with someone in the past, but that doesn't mean things have not changed where they do happen to know someone in the field who is available for whatever the reason is.

Good luck with the effort.
Sorry to come off this way, but I'm sure I could find hundreds of people looking for work in your industry, and I don't even have many connections.

Other than that, your suggestions are good, but not revolutionary and certainly nothing that's not part of my strategy.

Good carpenters/construction leads and people willing to do physical work in general are asking to make as much as opticians, but there are fewer of them available. It's a simple problem.
Golden view is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,369
Rewards Points: 5,284

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Sorry to come off this way, but I'm sure I could find hundreds of people looking for work in your industry, and I don't even have many connections.

Other than that, your suggestions are good, but not revolutionary and certainly nothing that's not part of my strategy.

Good carpenters/construction leads and people willing to do physical work in general are asking to make as much as opticians, but there are fewer of them available. It's a simple problem.
At first I read that as optometrist.
Big Johnson is online now  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,648
Rewards Points: 13,884

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
On occasion, I see some younger guy walking to / from work wearing a fast-food uniform. I think to myself, maybe I should offer that guy / gal a job doing hvac work.

At least they are showing up, and making an attempt.
One of my best guys I ever had. (Effort and dependability wise) was my ex girlfriend's friend. I told her I didn't think I was ready to be giving her friends jobs at that point in our relationship as we had only been dating for about a month.

She told me this guy (54) walked 2 miles to McDonald's every day for work. Even in the winter wearing a broken foot boot. I hired him....lol
A&E Exteriors is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-09-2018), KAP (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #15
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
 
MOTB's Avatar
 
Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,031
Rewards Points: 3,302

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Sorry to come off this way, but I'm sure I could find hundreds of people looking for work in your industry, and I don't even have many connections.

Other than that, your suggestions are good, but not revolutionary and certainly nothing that's not part of my strategy.

Good carpenters/construction leads and people willing to do physical work in general are asking to make as much as opticians, but there are fewer of them available. It's a simple problem.
Ok, so let me go back to your original question and throw another idea your way. No matter what industry, there will always be an opportunity to find someone. It is how you are positioning for them. So another idea is to simply add an (optimized) page to have people find your business when they are looking for Carpentry Work. A quick example is here
http://castileconstructioninc.com/ab...opportunities/

It may not be perfect, but it allows them to be found as part of their hunt to find more people. Hope it helps.
__________________
Helping contractors find work with website marketing education & strategy planning
MOTB is offline  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,623
Rewards Points: 18

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Ok, so let me go back to your original question and throw another idea your way. No matter what industry, there will always be an opportunity to find someone. It is how you are positioning for them. So another idea is to simply add an (optimized) page to have people find your business when they are looking for Carpentry Work. A quick example is here
http://castileconstructioninc.com/ab...opportunities/

It may not be perfect, but it allows them to be found as part of their hunt to find more people. Hope it helps.
People aren't looking for carpentry work.
Golden view is online now  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,623
Rewards Points: 18

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
At first I read that as optometrist.
That's actually what I meant. A little exaggeration but there are some newer ones out of grad school making 35 an hour. Not far off what carpenters are looking for.
Golden view is online now  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #18
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,055
Rewards Points: 7,300

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post

She told me this guy (54) walked 2 miles to McDonald's every day for work. Even in the winter wearing a broken foot boot. I hired him....lol

Uphill I bet too.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
KAP (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #19
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,470
Rewards Points: 35,760

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Uphill I bet too.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both ways...
KAP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #20
Pro
 
Bull Trout's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salish Sea
Posts: 1,058
Rewards Points: 676

Re: My Second Poached Employee


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Both ways...


In the snow...

Advertisement

Bull Trout is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
KAP (04-10-2018)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Employee or 1099? 5 tips to correctly identify independent contractors from employees FarmerBrown Farmer Brown Insurance Agency 16 06-17-2017 09:03 AM
Employee becoming competition? BamBamm5144 General Discussion 58 06-21-2014 12:28 AM
Does Your Company do Employee Reviews? constructonomics General Discussion 14 04-12-2013 04:43 AM
Job Scheduling | Employee Insurance Problems CopperSmith Business 3 05-11-2010 10:39 PM
Does your company do employee reviews? constructonomics Business 0 09-30-2009 10:29 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?