Making A Contract Several Months Out - Business - Contractor Talk

Making A Contract Several Months Out

Old 09-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #1

Trade: c-27
Rewards Points: 82

Making A Contract Several Months Out

This might be an odd question but I'm getting booked up through the year and I'm wondering if it's out of the ordinary to send a contract now that has an unknown start date that's so far away. I normally would send it a few weeks ahead of the start date so I don't loose them or they think I've forgotten them, but it seems strange to ask them to sign something in September for starting in November or so. Am I overthinking this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36

Re: Making A Contract Several Months Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
This might be an odd question but I'm getting booked up through the year and I'm wondering if it's out of the ordinary to send a contract now that has an unknown start date that's so far away. I normally would send it a few weeks ahead of the start date so I don't loose them or they think I've forgotten them, but it seems strange to ask them to sign something in September for starting in November or so. Am I overthinking this?
Yes... getting a contract ensures they're place in line... a month and a half to two months out from signing is not generally that big an issue...

That said... give an estimated start date and in today's environment (i.e. - material shortages, etc.) be sure to include a clause that states you can't be held responsible (among other things) for delays beyond your control (i.e. - material shortages, delivery delays, Acts of God, etc.)...

In addition, based on the volatility of material prices lately, you're also going to want to include a cause for material price changes past a certain period of time...

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,937

A "force Major" clause, and an impossibility clause, PLUS being still legal under the added laws and regs produced by our over sized government.

I'd want an elevator clause for materials and labor expenses....

Your business model might go the way of the buggy whip during the wait....

you might have to open an escrow account for any deposits/ fees paid far in advance
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #4

Trade: Commercial project management
Rewards Points: 214

Sign a short form contract that essentially locks them in to a place on your schedule. Include a line that a full contract will be signed 3-4-5 weeks from start date and until then either party can cancel. Consider using the slack time to order long-lead materials, to be stored at the customers location.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 124

I just have them sign an intent to build and give a nominal and non refundable deposit to hold the spot. Just got one a couple weeks ago, 2500 bucks good faith payment, start the house in 8 weeks probably

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Cheif Joseph
Old 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 124

My contract gauntees us starting within 21 days

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Cheif Joseph