Lost Money Today!!!! - Business - Contractor Talk

Lost Money Today!!!!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Member
 
ash2042's Avatar
 
Trade: custom deck builder
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75

Lost Money Today!!!!


I have only been in business for 6 years. Started out small but started to grow and got employees. Today one of my experienced guys and a new guy(he said he had 30 yrs in construction) didn't make enough to pay for one guy. They put down 3 boxes of hardwood in 8 hours, roughly 60 sq ft. I need some assistance, how do you handle this. I understand it can't keep happening but its hard to get the thought out of my head(I just keep running the numbers over and over). The day before we done 14 boxes, I worked with them. A little bit of info on the new guy, I just about went balistic on him yesterday, he tossed the mallet from a standing position about 3 feet onto the hardwood. Need some advice, Thanks
ash2042 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Pro
 
Rob PA's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana PA
Posts: 801
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


ask em what happened....

bonuses for certain goals met may help productivity

Advertisement

__________________
Facebook
Rob PA is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Wood Craftsman
 
PrestigeR&D's Avatar
 
Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 7,324
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


new team oriented workers Ash- my advice is to get rid of the infection that has developed in the work field and get some guys that want to help your company grow.. not bury it in the ground... there are plenty of qualified workers out there that would love to be working ... these guys sound like they don't appreciate that...

I would toss em...
B.
PrestigeR&D is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PrestigeR&D For This Useful Post:
boman47k (01-27-2011), CENTERLINE MV (01-28-2011), katoman (01-27-2011), Osito (01-27-2011), pinwheel (01-27-2011), SAW.co (01-27-2011), tgeb (01-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vineland, New Jersey
Posts: 14,233
Rewards Points: 12,218

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2042 View Post
I just about went balistic on him yesterday, he tossed the mallet from a standing position about 3 feet onto the hardwood. Need some advice, Thanks
Advice? Next time, remove the words in bold letters above.

I've had a few guys over the years who, for whatever reason, pull some a**munch move like that.

"Pack your s#!t and get the off my job!"
__________________
__________________________________




"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"




__________________________________
loneframer is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
cdkyle (01-27-2011), kswoodbutcher (01-27-2011), PA woodbutcher (01-27-2011), pinwheel (01-27-2011), PrestigeR&D (01-27-2011), thom (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Thom
 
thom's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 4,137
Rewards Points: 4,748

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


sometimes anger is better when it is expressed. On the spot firing makes a statement.
thom is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Grampy
 
Osito's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel & Repair Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 173
Rewards Points: 174

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Pay them by the sq. ft. I have a son in Morgantown he would be a goodone to help.
__________________
"It only cost a little more to go first class"
Osito is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Osito For This Useful Post:
skyhook (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Member
 
ash2042's Avatar
 
Trade: custom deck builder
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


I have never had to fire anyone before, its hard. I know my new guy needs the money, but he just doesn't act like a guy wanting a job, I over heard him talking, he felt we needed more breaks. He has been there six days and he didn't even help clean up yesterday. If I needed a job, I think I would look a head a little and have everything there when guys needed it, he just dosen't have it. Sorry, just needing to vent, my wife gets tired of hearing it. Thank you.
ash2042 is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Pro
 
PA woodbutcher's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northeast, Pa
Posts: 1,965
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Advice? Next time, remove the words in bold letters above.

I've had a few guys over the years who, for whatever reason, pull some a**munch move like that.

"Pack your s#!t and get the off my job!"
I attended a communications class one time. They referred to them as significant emotional events. They are lessons that people don't forget.

Never the less, I agree. Only thing different, is I might be inclined to help him pack his s#!t so as to insure some of mine didn't join his.
__________________
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
PA woodbutcher is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Geometrist

 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 190

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


What kind of screening process do you go through before hiring anybody? I go to great measures before I let anyone sign on. I also make it a point to do a quick firing if I realize things aren't working out. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.
__________________
I'd love to replace all the dumbness in this room but the budget is tight and the stupidity is plentiful!

Easy Gibson
Warren is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
KEPC (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Pro
 
PA woodbutcher's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northeast, Pa
Posts: 1,965
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2042 View Post
I have never had to fire anyone before, its hard. I know my new guy needs the money, but he just doesn't act like a guy wanting a job, I over heard him talking, he felt we needed more breaks. He has been there six days and he didn't even help clean up yesterday. If I needed a job, I think I would look a head a little and have everything there when guys needed it, he just dosen't have it. Sorry, just needing to vent, my wife gets tired of hearing it. Thank you.
Some take pleasure in firing someone. I don't, but make sure that I explain it to them, that if I don't draw the line somewhere it makes me no better than them.....I am better, that's why I'm the boss.

Sometimes it isn't easy, just necessary. If he for real wanted to work, the last thing he should be bitching about is breaks.
__________________
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
PA woodbutcher is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Geometrist

 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 190

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


What do you mean he didn't help clean up? Did he just stand around, or was he still working. I have fired my fair share over the years. It is difficult, I hate it and take it very seriously. But when it needs to be done, I just do it. I don't like the blow up method anymore and have vowed to not do it anymore. When that occurs, it usually means you waited to long to let the person go.
__________________
I'd love to replace all the dumbness in this room but the budget is tight and the stupidity is plentiful!

Easy Gibson
Warren is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Bastien1337 (01-27-2011), chris klee (01-29-2011), ChrWright (01-27-2011), [email protected] (01-29-2011), loneframer (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Member
 
ash2042's Avatar
 
Trade: custom deck builder
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Pay them by the sq. ft. I have a son in Morgantown he would be a goodone to help.
That is a good idea but I am sure they won't like it, for obvious reasons. Is your son a student here?
ash2042 is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Pro
 
detroit687's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 662
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


They must of had some excuse? Did the power go out? Flooring gun jam? Where they drunk? Just seems like there must of been something going on. I try not to freak out on my guys till I see exactly what I made. They don't create the same production every day, we all have bad days. But over all they make me good money. I know it's not easy to replace my guys so I've learned to bite my tongue on occasion.
detroit687 is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Member
 
ash2042's Avatar
 
Trade: custom deck builder
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


He didn't help clean up because he was smoking and he cleaned off his car(snow). So since he didn't help clean up he wasn't able to set up the next morning because he didn't know where the tools were. It was the first day on the job so he didn't know where the tool room was located. I wouldn't look for it or anything.
ash2042 is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Geometrist

 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 190

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2042 View Post
He didn't help clean up because he was smoking and he cleaned off his car(snow). So since he didn't help clean up he wasn't able to set up the next morning because he didn't know where the tools were. It was the first day on the job so he didn't know where the tool room was located. I wouldn't look for it or anything.
That right there would ensure that there would be no day #2. If you let that slide, then you set yourself up for even worse. I have fired people after only one or two days on several occasions. Sometimes you can tell in less than an hour what the new guy is all about. They generally don't improve much from the first day.
__________________
I'd love to replace all the dumbness in this room but the budget is tight and the stupidity is plentiful!

Easy Gibson
Warren is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.
 
SAW.co's Avatar
 
Trade: general contractor
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Angels Camp CA
Posts: 1,230
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
new team oriented workers Ash- my advice is to get rid of the infection that has developed in the work field and get some guys that want to help your company grow.. not bury it in the ground... there are plenty of qualified workers out there that would love to be working ... these guys sound like they don't appreciate that...

I would toss em...
B.
I agree you should be loyal to your company first employees second. If you have a worker that doesn't fell the same way give him the axe
SAW.co is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Pro
 
Mike Finley's Avatar
 
Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 14,078
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2042 View Post
I over heard him talking, he felt we needed more breaks.



That's hilarious.


Sounds like another troll starting up.
Mike Finley is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vineland, New Jersey
Posts: 14,233
Rewards Points: 12,218

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PA woodbutcher View Post
I attended a communications class one time. They referred to them as significant emotional events. They are lessons that people don't forget.

Never the less, I agree. Only thing different, is I might be inclined to help him pack his s#!t so as to insure some of mine didn't join his.
While framing one day, one of my new hires,(knew him from many years ago) started arguing with me and proceded to throw a lumber crayon at me.

I was in the middle of notching a 6x6 post at the time. I jumped over the horses, pommel horsed over his cut table and started screaming in his face. As I continued toward him, with my right index finger in his face, he says "You take one more step toward me with that handsaw in your hand and I'll call the cops."

At which point, I threw the handsaw down and continued to pursue him. As he entered his car, I told him if he set foot back on the site, we were gonna go a round.

Two weeks later, the siding guy shows up and guess who's working for him?

After a conversation with his boss, I made peace with the guy, but he never seemed to take both eyes off of me while they were there.
__________________
__________________________________




"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"




__________________________________
loneframer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
tgeb (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
Geometrist

 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,233
Rewards Points: 190

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
While framing one day, one of my new hires,(knew him from many years ago) started arguing with me and proceded to throw a lumber crayon at me.

I was in the middle of notching a 6x6 post at the time. I jumped over the horses, pommel horsed over his cut table and started screaming in his face. As I continued toward him, with my right index finger in his face, he says "You take one more step toward me with that handsaw in your hand and I'll call the cops."

At which point, I threw the handsaw down and continued to pursue him. As he entered his car, I told him if he set foot back on the site, we were gonna go a round.

Two weeks later, the siding guy shows up and guess who's working for him?

After a conversation with his boss, I made peace with the guy, but he never seemed to take both eyes off of me while they were there.
You Bully!!

Was this a male or female?
__________________
I'd love to replace all the dumbness in this room but the budget is tight and the stupidity is plentiful!

Easy Gibson
Warren is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
Member
 
ash2042's Avatar
 
Trade: custom deck builder
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!


I know what I have to do, its the actual act of doing it that worries me. I am just too nice, this is extremely hard for me.

Advertisement

ash2042 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ash2042 For This Useful Post:
chris klee (01-29-2011)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost a sale today! AJAX Marketing & Sales 1 01-31-2010 10:52 PM
Lost one today Trim40 Carpentry 10 11-29-2009 01:48 PM
5 Best Hardwood Floor Tips And Save Money Too! Benoakley Flooring 6 08-17-2009 12:49 PM
Made off wit da' Money PGD Off Topic (Non Trade) 1 07-03-2009 01:01 AM
Lost one today KB construction Roofing 13 04-20-2008 09:51 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?