Lost Money Today!!!! - Business - Contractor Talk

Lost Money Today!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #1

Trade: custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 75

Lost Money Today!!!!

I have only been in business for 6 years. Started out small but started to grow and got employees. Today one of my experienced guys and a new guy(he said he had 30 yrs in construction) didn't make enough to pay for one guy. They put down 3 boxes of hardwood in 8 hours, roughly 60 sq ft. I need some assistance, how do you handle this. I understand it can't keep happening but its hard to get the thought out of my head(I just keep running the numbers over and over). The day before we done 14 boxes, I worked with them. A little bit of info on the new guy, I just about went balistic on him yesterday, he tossed the mallet from a standing position about 3 feet onto the hardwood. Need some advice, Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Lost Money Today!!!!

ask em what happened....

bonuses for certain goals met may help productivity

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Arrow

new team oriented workers Ash- my advice is to get rid of the infection that has developed in the work field and get some guys that want to help your company grow.. not bury it in the ground... there are plenty of qualified workers out there that would love to be working ... these guys sound like they don't appreciate that...

I would toss em...
B.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PrestigeR&D For This Useful Post:
boman47k (01-27-2011), CENTERLINE MV (01-28-2011), katoman (01-27-2011), Osito (01-27-2011), pinwheel (01-27-2011), SAW.co (01-27-2011), tgeb (01-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2042 View Post
I just about went balistic on him yesterday, he tossed the mallet from a standing position about 3 feet onto the hardwood. Need some advice, Thanks
Advice? Next time, remove the words in bold letters above.

I've had a few guys over the years who, for whatever reason, pull some a**munch move like that.

"Pack your s#!t and get the off my job!"

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 01-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

sometimes anger is better when it is expressed. On the spot firing makes a statement.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Grampy

Trade: Remodel & Repair Contractor
Rewards Points: 174

Pay them by the sq. ft. I have a son in Morgantown he would be a goodone to help.
skyhook (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #7

I have never had to fire anyone before, its hard. I know my new guy needs the money, but he just doesn't act like a guy wanting a job, I over heard him talking, he felt we needed more breaks. He has been there six days and he didn't even help clean up yesterday. If I needed a job, I think I would look a head a little and have everything there when guys needed it, he just dosen't have it. Sorry, just needing to vent, my wife gets tired of hearing it. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Advice? Next time, remove the words in bold letters above.

I've had a few guys over the years who, for whatever reason, pull some a**munch move like that.

"Pack your s#!t and get the off my job!"
I attended a communications class one time. They referred to them as significant emotional events. They are lessons that people don't forget.

Never the less, I agree. Only thing different, is I might be inclined to help him pack his s#!t so as to insure some of mine didn't join his.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 190

What kind of screening process do you go through before hiring anybody? I go to great measures before I let anyone sign on. I also make it a point to do a quick firing if I realize things aren't working out. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
KEPC (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I have never had to fire anyone before, its hard. I know my new guy needs the money, but he just doesn't act like a guy wanting a job, I over heard him talking, he felt we needed more breaks. He has been there six days and he didn't even help clean up yesterday. If I needed a job, I think I would look a head a little and have everything there when guys needed it, he just dosen't have it. Sorry, just needing to vent, my wife gets tired of hearing it. Thank you.
Some take pleasure in firing someone. I don't, but make sure that I explain it to them, that if I don't draw the line somewhere it makes me no better than them.....I am better, that's why I'm the boss.

Sometimes it isn't easy, just necessary. If he for real wanted to work, the last thing he should be bitching about is breaks.
When you rob Peter to pay Paul, chances are pretty good you will receive Paul's vote. Apparently the object of the game is to create more Pauls than Peters....What happens when the Peters can no longer support the Pauls? .
Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Geometrist

What do you mean he didn't help clean up? Did he just stand around, or was he still working. I have fired my fair share over the years. It is difficult, I hate it and take it very seriously. But when it needs to be done, I just do it. I don't like the blow up method anymore and have vowed to not do it anymore. When that occurs, it usually means you waited to long to let the person go.

Easy Gibson
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Bastien1337 (01-27-2011), chris klee (01-29-2011), ChrWright (01-27-2011), [email protected] (01-29-2011), loneframer (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Pay them by the sq. ft. I have a son in Morgantown he would be a goodone to help.
That is a good idea but I am sure they won't like it, for obvious reasons. Is your son a student here?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: carpenter

They must of had some excuse? Did the power go out? Flooring gun jam? Where they drunk? Just seems like there must of been something going on. I try not to freak out on my guys till I see exactly what I made. They don't create the same production every day, we all have bad days. But over all they make me good money. I know it's not easy to replace my guys so I've learned to bite my tongue on occasion.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #14

He didn't help clean up because he was smoking and he cleaned off his car(snow). So since he didn't help clean up he wasn't able to set up the next morning because he didn't know where the tools were. It was the first day on the job so he didn't know where the tool room was located. I wouldn't look for it or anything.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Geometrist

Quote:
He didn't help clean up because he was smoking and he cleaned off his car(snow). So since he didn't help clean up he wasn't able to set up the next morning because he didn't know where the tools were. It was the first day on the job so he didn't know where the tool room was located. I wouldn't look for it or anything.
That right there would ensure that there would be no day #2. If you let that slide, then you set yourself up for even worse. I have fired people after only one or two days on several occasions. Sometimes you can tell in less than an hour what the new guy is all about. They generally don't improve much from the first day.

Easy Gibson
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
TRADE CRAFTSMAN.

Trade: general contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeR&D View Post
new team oriented workers Ash- my advice is to get rid of the infection that has developed in the work field and get some guys that want to help your company grow.. not bury it in the ground... there are plenty of qualified workers out there that would love to be working ... these guys sound like they don't appreciate that...

I would toss em...
B.
I agree you should be loyal to your company first employees second. If you have a worker that doesn't fell the same way give him the axe
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I over heard him talking, he felt we needed more breaks.

That's hilarious.

Sounds like another troll starting up.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA woodbutcher View Post
I attended a communications class one time. They referred to them as significant emotional events. They are lessons that people don't forget.

Never the less, I agree. Only thing different, is I might be inclined to help him pack his s#!t so as to insure some of mine didn't join his.
While framing one day, one of my new hires,(knew him from many years ago) started arguing with me and proceded to throw a lumber crayon at me.

I was in the middle of notching a 6x6 post at the time. I jumped over the horses, pommel horsed over his cut table and started screaming in his face. As I continued toward him, with my right index finger in his face, he says "You take one more step toward me with that handsaw in your hand and I'll call the cops."

At which point, I threw the handsaw down and continued to pursue him. As he entered his car, I told him if he set foot back on the site, we were gonna go a round.

Two weeks later, the siding guy shows up and guess who's working for him?

After a conversation with his boss, I made peace with the guy, but he never seemed to take both eyes off of me while they were there.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
Geometrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
While framing one day, one of my new hires,(knew him from many years ago) started arguing with me and proceded to throw a lumber crayon at me.

I was in the middle of notching a 6x6 post at the time. I jumped over the horses, pommel horsed over his cut table and started screaming in his face. As I continued toward him, with my right index finger in his face, he says "You take one more step toward me with that handsaw in your hand and I'll call the cops."

At which point, I threw the handsaw down and continued to pursue him. As he entered his car, I told him if he set foot back on the site, we were gonna go a round.

Two weeks later, the siding guy shows up and guess who's working for him?

After a conversation with his boss, I made peace with the guy, but he never seemed to take both eyes off of me while they were there.
You Bully!!

Was this a male or female?

Easy Gibson
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #20

I know what I have to do, its the actual act of doing it that worries me. I am just too nice, this is extremely hard for me.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ash2042 For This Useful Post:
chris klee (01-29-2011)