Liability Insurance - Business - Contractor Talk

Liability Insurance

Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Liability Insurance

Are there any companies that sell liability insurance on a job by job basis? My GC business is not my full time job. I however would like to be covered but cant see justifying a full time liability policy. I live and work in Massachusetts.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 528

Re: Liability Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianford View Post
Are there any companies that sell liability insurance on a job by job basis? My GC business is not my full time job. I however would like to be covered but cant see justifying a full time liability policy. I live and work in Massachusetts.
You might be able to find a company that will carry you month to month maybe?

The only way I can get any answers from these people though is to go in person to the agent, every time I try to talk on the phone with them they want to pass me around like a bong at a frat party.

Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 25

I feel like I have heard of this but cannot remember where? Try digging around here for some past threads. I found 15 threads with liability insurance in the title but didnt have time to look through them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: sun rooms, screen rooms, pergolas, patio covers...
Rewards Points: 250

Liability insurance isn't based on full-time or part-time, it is based on the dollars you run through the till and the extent of the risk the company feels they are exposed to.

Normally you tell the agent your expected gross revenue in a year's time. Let's say it's $100,000. After the end of the year they audit your books and adjust your premium up or down depending on how close you hit your projection. If you paid based on the $100k, and only did $80K, you'll get a 20% rebate. Likewise if you do twice as much, you'll pay 2 times the premium.

They don't care if you did all your business in one month, or spread it out even. It's just a percentage of your gross revenue.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,830

Dude, just buck up and pay the dues - sheez, it's only $750.00 for a basic policy which would probably fit your needs. And, could you imagine the hassle of trying to insure every job. Doesn't make sense to me no matter how few jobs you do.

This is probably the cheapest insurance you'll ever pay and probably cheaper than trying to insure each thing you do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
bhock (04-06-2011), MikeGC (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Trade: Lawn Care
Rewards Points: 25

I don't think you can get for per job,but you can do a monthly payment plains with small down payment

Advertisement