LEED Certified Wood - Business - Contractor Talk

LEED Certified Wood

Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
YourVisionIsOurCommitment

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

LEED Certified Wood

....at the moment we're bidding to build a custom home from the ground up out in Miami Beach. This will be our first "green/environmental friendly" home we will build. Based on the meeting we had with the Architect that's in charge of this project, we're basically the ones favored by a long shot to get this project. We just need to adjust our prices a bit more to fit the project's projected budget. One of the items we're eyeing to make more cost-efficient is the 2 outside wood decks. The wood, of course, has to be a LEED certified product seeing as to how the house itself is a LEED certified home. We've gotten a couple of estimates from a couple of carpenters, one quotes Forever Plast Lumber (which is ridiculuously expensive) and the other carpenter is quoting Timber Tech Plastic Lumber (also very expensive).

I wanted to know if any of you has had experience with "certified green products", especially wood? If so, can you provide to me some other types of woods that would fall into this category? Or if any of you knows where I can go online to get such info? I've tried throughout the afternoon, but I've had no luck. I keep on running into sites that prepare you for the LEED exam, but nothing on the actual products (especially wood).

Any and all help will grealty be appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 502

Re: LEED Certified Wood

This project should probably be in the Green Building section....

You could try a thermally modified wood product, they tend to run a little less than some of the premium plastic deckings.

Many of the plastic deckings are made from PVC which is extermely not green due to chemical processes in production.

Here's a link to a thermally modified wood deck product that tends to run less than top of the line composites and plastics: http://www.purewoodproducts.com/default.aspx

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Pro

Just remembered something else, here is an older thread that is pretty relevant although the publication linked to in it is a tad bit dated:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f91/in...decking-40772/

Remember, with LEED you can use a product that is not certified as long as you do the documentation to show that it is a viable green product.
The Following User Says Thank You to orson For This Useful Post:
CF Construction (02-25-2009)

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
YourVisionIsOurCommitment

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by orson View Post
Just remembered something else, here is an older thread that is pretty relevant although the publication linked to in it is a tad bit dated:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f91/in...decking-40772/

Remember, with LEED you can use a product that is not certified as long as you do the documentation to show that it is a viable green product.

I was actually reading that thread a few minutes ago.

Can you clarify the whole thing about using a product that's not certified?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 304

Not a builder but this link may be helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/GreenTimber

By the way, interesting website.
orson (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Pro

Here is another product I just noticed:

new type of cabon based outdoor treated wood

I can't be very specific about how you get a product that isn't already approved because I've never actually done a LEED project, however, the reading I have done suggests that LEED welcomes innovation and allows you to document the use of an unapproved product or method and submit it for consideration to contribute points to the project certification.

Maybe an experienced LEED AP will chime in here and explain it better, you might also try asking on a green building forum.

Last edited by orson; 02-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

You probably want to check out the USGBC website, usgbc.org. They are the orginazation in charge of LEED. Take a look at the LEED for homes rating system. It will be a pdf file outlining each possibe point and how to get it. I know more about leed for new construction than leed for homes but in general the LEED programs allow certain trade offs where you may be able to use a less "green" wood for the deck but use a deck sealer with a lower VOC content to off set not getting the point for green material. Also the leed for homes reference guide will have much more in depth information than the pdf on allowable products. Try checking with friends or at the library before buying one.

Advertisement