Leaving That Job Site...revisted.... - Business - Contractor Talk

Leaving That Job Site...revisted....

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Pro
 
ruskent's Avatar
 
Trade: Outdoor D/B
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 1,028

Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


I am still struggling with leaving the job site fully and actually running a business. I have made alot of progress. I really do not do much physical labor. I make my guys shot all elevations, layout etc. I am basically there just looking over their shoulders making sure no mistakes are made.

I have been keeping track of what things I do tell them so I can include them on future plans in the form of notes.

Overal I feel I waste a tremendous amount of time each day. I really do not think I am personally accomplishing anything. I really need to leave the job site 90% of the time.

Did you guys slowly leave the site? IE 1 day a week, then 2 etc. Or did you just get up a leave one day?


The next job we are starting is small, around 50k. I think I am going to do a long walk through with my guys, give them a detailed plan and let them have it. Lets see how they do.
ruskent is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Pro
 
Mike Finley's Avatar
 
Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 14,078
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


You're crazy to "I think I am going to do a long walk through with my guys, give them a detailed plan and let them have it. Lets see how they do."

There is a big difference between being a control freak and tending to your business. Calling, stoping by, inspecting without acting like it, patting your guys on the back when you confirm they are doing well, being known for being around randomly, chatting it up with the customer and basically confirming all is well is the latter.

Advertisement

Mike Finley is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
Pro
 
wellbuilthome's Avatar
 
Trade: building for 30 years. new homes , additions
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 463
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


You need to pick the best guy , tell him the hole job and stop talking to any of the other men about the job . You need to make some one the boss man . Let him pick his own men , let him take the hours at the end of the week , let him try to come up with a game plan . Get him some nice shirts that make him look like a boss . I would stop at the job three times a day and see how it gos. When you start to feel good about there work take the next best guy and start crew # 2 . I like to run 3 jobs with 9 men + me . You could double up a crew for a larger job or get extra men when needed . Then you would have time to do boss things . Good luck you will need some.
wellbuilthome is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Pro
 
Carport King's Avatar
 
Trade: Aluminum Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 470
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


Hey Rusk get out your checkbook because Mike and myself will be charging you from now on for our mentor program!

Man you would think you were having a baby or something. Hey it is just dirt,rocks,plants etc. Come on put the best guy in charge and cut them some slack and leave the job site will you?

Do like Mike says and give them some breathing room. Check on them once in a while but let them do there job. Hey guess what they will make mistakes so big deal. Like you never have?

The job will run better without you. Bet you.

PS. Make that first check out to Mike for $2500.00 hell we just saved you more then that.
Carport King is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Pro
 
ruskent's Avatar
 
Trade: Outdoor D/B
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,907
Rewards Points: 1,028

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carport King View Post
Hey Rusk get out your checkbook because Mike and myself will be charging you from now on for our mentor program!

Man you would think you were having a baby or something. Hey it is just dirt,rocks,plants etc. Come on put the best guy in charge and cut them some slack and leave the job site will you?

Do like Mike says and give them some breathing room. Check on them once in a while but let them do there job. Hey guess what they will make mistakes so big deal. Like you never have?

The job will run better without you. Bet you.

PS. Make that first check out to Mike for $2500.00 hell we just saved you more then that.

Every job is my baby!!! Thats the biggest proablem.

I think I will cut back to just afternoon visits. Last year with a smaller crew and smaller jobs i had no proablem cutting back. Now that I am into larger worker every job (95k average job for the year) I somehow feel like I need to be there.

Being there, and listen to the questions I have been asked is helping me put the right details on the plan. Such as exact patio pitch, where to put sleeving under patios or walks, where to put excavated dirt, Pattern angle, etc. The plans we use now are detailed enough for me since I spend so much time with the plans during the design stage.


I am making progress! I have 3 good guys now.
ruskent is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
General Contractor
 
Snow Man's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction Management
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 684
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskent View Post
I am still struggling with leaving the job site fully and actually running a business. I have made alot of progress. I really do not do much physical labor. I make my guys shot all elevations, layout etc. I am basically there just looking over their shoulders making sure no mistakes are made.

I have been keeping track of what things I do tell them so I can include them on future plans in the form of notes.

Overal I feel I waste a tremendous amount of time each day. I really do not think I am personally accomplishing anything. I really need to leave the job site 90% of the time.

Did you guys slowly leave the site? IE 1 day a week, then 2 etc. Or did you just get up a leave one day?


The next job we are starting is small, around 50k. I think I am going to do a long walk through with my guys, give them a detailed plan and let them have it. Lets see how they do.
You M A K E them shoot elevations ?
I cant do any thing without an incentive .
When you say small around 50k , are you spending the rest of the year on that job or just 2-3weeks?
Real estate(dirt farming) is the only gamble out.
Best Wishes!
__________________
DECOSnowRemoval&IceControl
Serving Delaware County & Philadelphia Pa
610 457-9721

Last edited by Snow Man; 08-20-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Snow Man is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #7
Pro
 
Carport King's Avatar
 
Trade: Aluminum Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 470
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskent View Post
Every job is my baby!!! Thats the biggest proablem.

I think I will cut back to just afternoon visits. Last year with a smaller crew and smaller jobs i had no proablem cutting back. Now that I am into larger worker every job (95k average job for the year) I somehow feel like I need to be there.

Being there, and listen to the questions I have been asked is helping me put the right details on the plan. Such as exact patio pitch, where to put sleeving under patios or walks, where to put excavated dirt, Pattern angle, etc. The plans we use now are detailed enough for me since I spend so much time with the plans during the design stage.


I am making progress! I have 3 good guys now.
Ok I will give you an atta boy! How that?
Carport King is offline  
Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Pro
 
Mellison's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,158
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


Ruskent,
I also look at my business as well as each job as my baby.
That being said, here is a way to get over this situation and it is pretty simple: Book two jobs for the same time period, or at least a temporary overlap between the two.
You will have no choice to split a crew(or hire a couple of new men)and bounce between job sites to check on the progress of each. All the while being reachable by cell phone to answer any questions that arise.
Think of the freedom not to mention the extra money to be made.
If you spend that much time on the job site now you should have a good idea as to who you can instruct to lead the crew.
Trust me, I speak from experience.
Mike
Mellison is offline  
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
Pro
 
genecarp's Avatar
 
Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,425
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


relax, deep breaths.........
__________________
genecarp is offline  
Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Pro
 
nlgutters's Avatar
 
Trade: seamless gutters
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: new hampshire
Posts: 992
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Leaving That Job Site...revisted....


Which job do you prefer most ? Being on site or running the business. There is nothing wrong with being on site and hiring somebody to run your business. A buddy of mines father owns a business that does close to 10 mil a year. He digs ditches and changes oil. He loves that part. customers talk to him like hes a monkey and he just laughs and keeps working. I always thought it was stupid but that is what he likes to do.

Advertisement

nlgutters is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Made in the USA - cool site wallmaxx General Discussion 7 08-21-2008 01:49 PM
Help , new to site ..... need help for job peaches0518 Flooring 0 08-20-2008 11:26 AM
My new site is up and running! AAPaint Technology 60 05-18-2006 04:20 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?