Joist Financing - Business - Contractor Talk

Joist Financing

Old 10-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Decks, Additions
Rewards Points: 14,466

Joist Financing

Anybody using this option?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,592

Re: Joist Financing

Not yet, but I would consider it.

Most of my jobs are <$4000. I take e payments from Joist. Iíd rather have the 3%, so I add a bit before giving the option in the estimate.

It takes a day or two to get money in the account after they pay, but I donít care. Iíll sometimes have undeposited checks sitting on the table for weeks.

Iíve only done a couple of roofs this year. Offering financing would certainly help encourage some people to do the bigger ticket items like that. Certainly more convenient for them than applying for a HELOC or a refinance.

Convenient enough they may do the siding or the paint, now or down the road, with me. A monthly payment to me would keep me on their radar.

I did allow one homeowner to make payments on a $2500 job. It was kind of fun to get a $500 check each month for a job done long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 534

I have never had a customer ask about financing. In the last week or two I recieved an email from Square that they are now offering the option.

You get your money from square, as usual and they handle the rest. I believe there may be a 10K limit per transaction though.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,958

I havenít used this. And I never click that button when I send the invoice. But the last few I have sent, Iíve noticed when the customer gets it, paying by credit card is automatically an option. If they click it, it says the option is not available and to wait for the contractor to send another bill.

Then joist sends me an email saying the customer wants the credit card option and I need to sign up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-04-2018)
Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #5

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Avoid Joist Financing at all costs. I actually dropped them after 3 years of liking Joist due to a financing issue. Really the financing wasn't the issue. Joist changed their payment policy, and started holding bank transfers over $10,000 for 7 days. They didn't inform me of this, and after I shelled out $11,000 for materials... i found out that I would have to wait a week to get payed back. I don't generally let that amount of materials go unpaid for a week, and was pissed. Needless to say, I will never say anything good about Joist again. I use QB exclusively now, and take CC payments through square. I should have done that a long time ago, but I did like Joists platform. Get away from joist before they do you like they did me.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:48 AM   #6
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Decks, Additions
Rewards Points: 14,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomancarpentr View Post
Avoid Joist Financing at all costs. I actually dropped them after 3 years of liking Joist due to a financing issue. Really the financing wasn't the issue. Joist changed their payment policy, and started holding bank transfers over $10,000 for 7 days. They didn't inform me of this, and after I shelled out $11,000 for materials... i found out that I would have to wait a week to get payed back. I don't generally let that amount of materials go unpaid for a week, and was pissed. Needless to say, I will never say anything good about Joist again. I use QB exclusively now, and take CC payments through square. I should have done that a long time ago, but I did like Joists platform. Get away from joist before they do you like they did me.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the homeowner financing
Old 01-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,958

One of my tenants switched to Square. It's a small retail business. He said he really likes it.
I don't think this applies to homeowner financing, but some customers have asked if I take credit cards. I don't, but some people like to get the airline miles.

Advertisement