Job Sequencing Issues - Business - Contractor Talk

Job Sequencing Issues

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Job Sequencing Issues

Opinions requested from GCs and subs. We have reached our substantial completion for a recent union, commercial, project at least 4 weeks ago. Sequencing has been an issue from the start. A job bid as a single phase turned into two-plus phases. Parts that we had to paint came in piecemeal. Crew productivity was in the tank.

Now, the GC expects us to paint another piecemeal item that was in our contract The item should have taken 1-2 hours if it was there at the jobsite when it should have been. The crew could have painted it in between other tasks. Now it will take a minimum of 2-3 half days of labor due to paint curing time and union half day rules. If I send a painter out for even one hour we are required to pay them a half day. So we are looking at a loss of 6-10 labor hours. We already took losses to paint other items that came in out of sequence.

What recourse does a sub have? What is the accepted practice? What are the GCs opinions? Subs opinions?

Thanks for the feedback.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #2

Trade: General Contractor

Re: Job Sequencing Issues

I was a project manager for a gc for a while. If it was our fault, I allowed a change order to be turned in to the owner. I would ask nicely if this is an option. The gc should have money in the job for your division above what you quoted if the owner balks at the change order. If they say no I wouldn't do work for them anymore.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,458

Is there any language in either the contract or spec to deal with this? Have you spoken with the GC/PM/Archy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonur1 View Post
I was a project manager for a gc for a while. If it was our fault, I allowed a change order to be turned in to the owner. I would ask nicely if this is an option. The gc should have money in the job for your division above what you quoted if the owner balks at the change order. If they say no I wouldn't do work for them anymore.
Thanks for the feedback. I will see what I can do.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Is there any language in either the contract or spec to deal with this? Have you spoken with the GC/PM/Archy?
Griz, checked the contract. Not exactly sure if I have recourse due to sequencing problems. I will have to check with my attorney. Left a message with the GC. They are not very good with return calls.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Trade: Painting & Coatings

Try this in your next subcontract with a GC -

We shall perform the work under this agreement in accordance with mutually agreeable project schedules, revisions, and changes. We shall perform the work under this agreement in a coordinated and mutually agreeable project sequence relative to the project schedule. ACME Painting & Decorating, Inc. reserves the right to equitable compensation for any schedule acceleration, shift work, overtime requirements and any work performed out of sequence. This subcontractor reserves the right to equitable compensation for any delays and/or damages that may be incurred during the prosecution of our work.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonur1 View Post
If it was your fault as the GC why should the owner pay for it?
MikeGC (04-07-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 25

I have also worked as a project manager for a commercial general contractor and the subject is always an argument. A schedule should have been an attachment to the subcontract if not at least a start and finish date. If the contractor has delayed you you have a right to a change order. One key to getting a change order is having the discussion as soon as the delays start, by waiting you have put yourself on the low end of the negotiating table. A book could be written on this topic alone but again communication is the key.
One issue is why was work out of sequence? Who caused delays? What was the impact of the delays to schedule, budget ect. That is why PM's document, document, document because he with the best documentation wins the battle.

Advertisement

Tags
job sequencing , paint , sequencing , subcontractor , subs