Insurance Rates Going Down?? - Business - Contractor Talk

Insurance Rates Going Down??

Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 2,037

Insurance Rates Going Down??

Got this email this afternoon. Anybody's agent relayed this info to you yet? Can't remember when my rates ever went down.
"There have been many changes in the Construction Insurance Industry since we last spoke. Due to a slowdown in the California construction market many construction companies have gone out of business or their gross receipts have dramatically reduced compared to previous years. Commercial Insurance companies have been frantically trying to replace this lost business.
Right now is the best time to purchase insurance. We have been seeing insurance companies cut rates as much as 50% compared to last year’s pricing. These companies are hungry and they want your business. New carriers are entering the market each month leading to a price war.
Whether it’s General Liability Insurance, Commercial Auto, Workers Comp or any other type of insurance that you would need as a contractor, we could potentially save you HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY!!!!!!
Take advantage of the insurance companies in this “slow down economy.”You and I both know they have always charged an “arm and a leg” in the past. Now is the time to pull the trigger.
Call us today to see how much prices have dropped!!! Even if you have a policy in force and it doesn’t expire for several months, why wait to save money?"

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
JimmyS

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Insurance Rates Going Down??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
Whether it’s General Liability Insurance, Commercial Auto, Workers Comp or any other type of insurance that you would need as a contractor, we could potentially save you HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY!!!!!!
Take advantage of the insurance companies in this “slow down economy.”You and I both know they have always charged an “arm and a leg” in the past. Now is the time to pull the trigger.
The tone of this email doesn't sound like an insurance agent, sounds like a huckster. Any time you can save $ without risk it's worth looking in to, though. My health ins. actually went down a little this period, odd.
Jim

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Contractors Insurance
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
Got this email this afternoon. Anybody's agent relayed this info to you yet? Can't remember when my rates ever went down.
"There have been many changes in the Construction Insurance Industry since we last spoke. Due to a slowdown in the California construction market many construction companies have gone out of business or their gross receipts have dramatically reduced compared to previous years. Commercial Insurance companies have been frantically trying to replace this lost business.
Right now is the best time to purchase insurance. We have been seeing insurance companies cut rates as much as 50% compared to last year’s pricing. These companies are hungry and they want your business. New carriers are entering the market each month leading to a price war.
Call us today to see how much prices have dropped!!! Even if you have a policy in force and it doesn’t expire for several months, why wait to save money?"
It is true that insurance rates have gone down over the last couple of years due to the fact that the insurance industry is in a soft market. Insurance stays on a pretty steady cycle of soft market to hard market about every 8-10 years. If you remember back in 2003 and 2004, rates in California were really high and underwriting was pretty tough as well. The fact that we're in a soft market has nothing to do with the "slow down economy" though. Also, there are so many other factors. The soft market may or may not even effect you. For example, if you are an owner-only painting operation, your annual cost of insurance will probably not be that much more or less than it was 10 years ago. But if you are a larger construction company, your best bet is to make sure your broker is shopping the whole market for you every year. Make them present you with at least three quotes to prove that they've done their work.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC HVAC/R Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,880
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarahGruber View Post
The fact that we're in a soft market has nothing to do with the "slow down economy" .
How did the market get soft in the first place.? Supply and demand.
Work is slow, who needs a million dollar G/L policy if they are sitting at home.?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Contractors Insurance
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhook View Post
How did the market get soft in the first place.? Supply and demand.
Work is slow, who needs a million dollar G/L policy if they are sitting at home.?
The soft and hard market is a continuing trend in the insurance industry. It been going on for over 60 years. The market will get hard again eventually. I agree though. I wouldn't buy a policy either if I wasn't working. It really depends on the type of liability policy that you've had in the past to determine if you should keep it going even when you are not working.
skyhook (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Superior Firepower

Trade: GC HVAC/R Lic. since 1985
Rewards Points: 3,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarahGruber View Post
The soft and hard market is a continuing trend in the insurance industry. It been going on for over 60 years. The market will get hard again eventually. I agree though. I wouldn't buy a policy either if I wasn't working. It really depends on the type of liability policy that you've had in the past to determine if you should keep it going even when you are not working.
My General Liability policy rate fluctuates, based on the gross sales from the year before. During years when I'm running $2.5 million, the G/L policy is $8,000 annually. The hard numbers get lower every year we go without a claim.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,860

Good, I like a nice hard market.

Advertisement