I Hate Customers!!! - Business - Contractor Talk

I Hate Customers!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #1

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 53

I Hate Customers!!!

Thank you very much

Last edited by skarrlette; 03-19-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Re: I Hate Customers!!!

is it really that bad? im gettin out too,screw this

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,897

Sounds like someone needs a factory job.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
strat hd

Trade: framing contractor , remodeler , GC occasionally
Rewards Points: 1,000

I'd go to the bar.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarrlette View Post
I need to vent big time!!! I have been a GC for a short period of time 10 mos to be exact, and I don't think I have met one customer that I like. The problem with this business and what is starting to really turn me into a Ahole!! is that people in this business are treated like **** and I am sick of it. First off its a hard business its not easy being on your knees all day, or being on a roof in 90 degree or demoing some customers NASTY DIRTY F HOUSE!!!!. Secondly its the one business where they EXPECT YOU TO LOWER YOUR RATE FOR HARD TIME CONSUMING WORK. There is no other business pretty much that a customer can NEGOTIATE on like this one and do it shamelessly. When a customer goes to a doctors office or a resturant and they get the bill WHY DON'T THEY REFUSE TO PAY AND WALK OUT!!! Or when they go to buy a HD F TV set why don't they start negotiating with the store. Because they would get laughed out of the place or the cops would be called. But when I improve your house the most exspensive thing in your life that you are going to make money back on, somehow I am suppose to work for free and give my blood because you were so F kind to give me your job PLEASE ITS INSULTING (as half of the jobs are garbage anyway). I am suppose to give a low price! and then do your long list of change orders and changes for free, as well HOPING ALL THE WHILE THAT YOU GIVE ME THE LAST CHECK and crappy reference. All the while dealing with your arrogrant, bitchy, complaining, unappreciative, self centered attitude AND I AM SUPPOSE TO DO IT WITH A SMILE! Please someone please explain to me WHAT THE F THIS **** IS ALL ABOUT!!! Talk about making lemonaide from lemons!!! The amount of garbage these gc's and workers have to go through just to get a measly check and a piece of crap reference is unbelievable. I have come to not even like customers anymore and totally understand why people in this business turn into A HOLES they should be!!!!! Most guys are hardworking and honest and I am tired of the garbage and sense of entitlement and demeaning BS that these customers put us through. These people need a reality check!!!! I have one customer right now that I feel like telling to G F YOURSELF!!!
This is what you need to know -

If you walk through a field of flowers you will smell wonderful fragrant perfumey smells, very pleasant very nice.

If you walk through a cow pasture, you'll smell sh*t.

Understand?

What you experience in anything is dependent on your situation.

If you are only attracting sh*tty customers, you will have a sh*tty experience.

Who do you think gets the low baller, negotiating, piece of crap low-life customers?

the new guy does.

These are the only ones who will say yes to you right now.

The good customers are much harder to land. But if you stick at it and are smart and good at what you do, you will slowly move away from these bottom feeders and land customers who are hiring you for the right reasons and not just the low price.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
bonz (06-20-2009), bwalley (06-20-2009), CapeCodder (06-22-2009), constmgt (06-23-2009), CScalf (06-19-2009), donovplmb01 (06-20-2009), fez-head (06-19-2009), gtmstang (06-20-2009), KitchenSync (06-19-2009), Meetre (06-20-2009), mikec (06-19-2009), Mitch M (06-19-2009), Mrmac204 (06-19-2009), naptown CR (06-19-2009), nj handyman (06-20-2009), OGStilts (06-20-2009), orson (06-21-2009), RCPainting (06-19-2009), rustyjames (06-19-2009), Tom Struble (06-19-2009), WarriorWithWood (06-19-2009), Winchester (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Multi-tradesman defender

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 250

Feel better?

Ok, let's look at this logically, you did not just wake up and say "I want to be a GC" did you? You must have worked in the trade before doing this on your own, this is just the side you did not know about until you hung up your shingle as the owner. It gets better!
  • Upgrade your marketing.
  • Upgrade your image (if you need to).
  • Get a website and pre-qual your customers in a manner similar to what Mike and many, many others do.
  • "Love" your customers or you have no business -I don't care How good you are at what you do, if you don't have somebody to buy it, you are broke.
  • Stick around CT and pay attention, there is a wealth of knowledge here, use it.
  • Change your attitude, I know you are just venting here, but does that come through in real life? If so, your customers can feel it.
Think back to why you got into this GC thing, was it because you thought you would make a bunch of money? Did you lose a job and decide youwould just start your own deal? Did you realize you could produce a better product than that of your competitorsand decide to take the plunge? Did you deal with happy, satisfied clients in previous jobs and assume that they were all that way?

There are many reasons why we choose to be in this crazy industry, but one thing is constant, no matter your reason for being. You absolutely have to have "Customers!"

If you truly give your customers what they want and serve all of their needs, you will not ever hate them. I'm not saying it is all rosy, but it certainly can be enjoyable and rewarding. Good luck.

Edited section:
You should see how this looks in my preview, before it's posted. I think half the people that get hammered for one paragraph posts, might be getting blamed erroneously. This post had bullet, paragraphs, etc. but when viewed in the forum, no bullets and all spacing is omitted, what's up with that Nathan?

http://www.yourhandymansite.com

Last edited by Handymanservice; 06-19-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Paragraph structure is different in preview.
The Following User Says Thank You to Handymanservice For This Useful Post:
fez-head (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build

Have you tried advertising on Craigslist?
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post:
ChainsawCharlie (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Pro

here's an email and reply to one of my valued customers change your attitude and it will get more and more like this for you

Hi Tom,
Good to hear from you. I was going to e mail you to tell you that I'm enjoying the house very much but you beat me to it. You're welcome anytime to fix the header and if you have time on a weekend late morning or afternoon, drop by and say hello.
Robert

----- Original Message -----
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:58 am
Subject: hi Robert
To:

> Robert
> How have you been hope everything good,i walked around your
> house yesterday,everything looked good,little separation at the
> corners but not too bad,when i was on the porch i noticed some
> water spots on the header ,its on the front right side facing
> the street,i want to fix this [at no cost] not sure when but i
> wanted to let you know as to not surprise you
>
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,232

Your mother told you to go to school....now STFU and get back to work...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JonM For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (06-22-2009), naptown CR (06-19-2009), rbsremodeling (06-19-2009), rustyjames (06-19-2009), Schmidt & Co (06-21-2009), Tom Struble (06-19-2009), WarriorWithWood (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

I skipped the op, but will give him a leeetle hint...USE THE FVKN "ENTER" KEY every once in awhile (also called "paragraphs")...how do you run a "business" and not know how to communicate effectively?

Do you communicate with your clients the same way?

tough love
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
BobsLandscaping (06-19-2009), Magnettica (06-22-2009), rustyjames (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
I skipped the op, but will give him a leeetle hint...USE THE FVKN "ENTER" KEY every once in awhile (also called "paragraphs")...how do you run a "business" and not know how to communicate effectively?

Do you communicate with your clients the same way?

tough love
Really, when I see a post that's written in one paragraph, when it should be 4, I skip right over them. Communication is everything, especially in construction.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
fez-head (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 239

A customer will only treat you as bad as you let them, assuming you haven't done anything to p#$s them off first.

Tim
Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #13

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 53

Nope I don't piss customers off if anything they should appreciate what I do as I go the extra mile every time and maybe that is my problem. I don't feel its appreciated at all. Come are you guys serious you don't experience this? Every customer you get is rich signs with a smile and appreciates everything? I find that hard to believe or maybe it because I am woman and your men but something doesnt make sense.

I have valid points about the issues customers do try and nickel and dime you down everytime, I know people want to get a good deal, but come on other people have to make a living too.

This is the one industry where they always think they are getting ripped off so therefore they expect you to do things for free. I have seen it over and over and I am sure all of you have experienced it.

They always think that the job can be done quick and easily. They say "oh but that should only a take a few hours right?". Then the job takes two day and its complicated, but they never think it shoudl or will be and then they think your dragging it out on purpose to make more money. Or they have no idea how much work really goes into it.

Its like customers have all been brainwashed that mostly every single GC or worker is ALWAYS giving high prices or that it could be lower, and sometimes the price is on the low side to begin with but they never believe you when you are telling the truth.

I could go on, and another thing I have noted that I don't think people in the the trades stick together. If some other guy is always going to low then customers and there friends expect it from everyone where if everyone stayed in the same general ballpark of estimates then people would be making a better living.
p.s. and to the guy that can't read more than 3 sentences without getting distracted. The have medication for ADHD now

p.p.s is my paragraph formating more to everyones liking now? Also is there a period in the ps or not because I am sure that someone is going to tell me. Thanks fo r the advice

Last edited by skarrlette; 06-19-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 500

Maybe it's you.

Reminds me of a guy who has a different girlfriend every week. Always getting dumped but it's never his fault. Maybe it is...

How do you project yourself? On my business cards. fliers, postcards, etc. it says "When You Want The Best". Common sense says the best isn't the cheapest. It's mutually exclusive.

When they call do you qualify them at all? If they want me to come to their house it's $50 for me to show up. If they want me to do a landscape design and estimate that starts at $150. Do you ask any questions?

For example I'll get a call about a outdoor kitchen, pergola, and outdoor dining area. Right off the bat I know this is going to run $18,000 for a minimalist design. So I ask about budget, do they have financing, do they want financing, etc. If they start to choke on the phone it's not worth the drive out there.

Know your customer, I deal with a lot of foreigners. In some cultures haggling is expected. Bid accordingly. A little sensitivity and awareness will go a long way.

Know when to walk away. At some point you will need to tell a client "I'm sorry, but my services aren't within your price range. I can put you in touch with a lower priced landscaping company if you would like?"

It's like somebody walking into a Porsche dealership with Kia money. The deal ain't gonna happen.

Find clients on your level, don't lower yourself to theirs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BobsLandscaping For This Useful Post:
ChainsawCharlie (06-19-2009), constmgt (06-23-2009), Dustyrose (06-19-2009), skarrlette (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #15

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 75

People are not going to appreciate what you do unless you sell them on appreciating it. A customers perception of a job well done has probably only 50 % to do with the quality of the work. Its all about the relationship you have with them.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: hardwood floor contractor 28 yrs.
Rewards Points: 150

No girls allowed!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to the big 12 inch For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
strat hd

Trade: framing contractor , remodeler , GC occasionally
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
People are not going to appreciate what you do unless you sell them on appreciating it. A customers perception of a job well done has probably only 50 % to do with the quality of the work. Its all about the relationship you have with them.
I don't buy that !! 50% of the interior trim has gaps in it and thats ok !
Work is or should be 100% quality. 100% communication. That's where referrals come from.
The Following User Says Thank You to strathd For This Useful Post:
DQM (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #18
Alberto

Trade: laminate floor installer
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsLandscaping View Post
Maybe it's you.

Reminds me of a guy who has a different girlfriend every week. Always getting dumped but it's never his fault. Maybe it is...

How do you project yourself? On my business cards. fliers, postcards, etc. it says "When You Want The Best". Common sense says the best isn't the cheapest. It's mutually exclusive.

When they call do you qualify them at all? If they want me to come to their house it's $50 for me to show up. If they want me to do a landscape design and estimate that starts at $150. Do you ask any questions?

For example I'll get a call about a outdoor kitchen, pergola, and outdoor dining area. Right off the bat I know this is going to run $18,000 for a minimalist design. So I ask about budget, do they have financing, do they want financing, etc. If they start to choke on the phone it's not worth the drive out there.

Know your customer, I deal with a lot of foreigners. In some cultures haggling is expected. Bid accordingly. A little sensitivity and awareness will go a long way.

Know when to walk away. At some point you will need to tell a client "I'm sorry, but my services aren't within your price range. I can put you in touch with a lower priced landscaping company if you would like?"

It's like somebody walking into a Porsche dealership with Kia money. The deal ain't gonna happen.

Find clients on your level, don't lower yourself to theirs.
bob is right, don't lower your prices just because they can't afford you, ...... if you do, you won't be happy about the job because you'll feel you're getting paid less to do more work and you will start to hate your job lol.

make sure everything expected from you and your client is clearly stated, in writing, incase any disagreements occur and so that you both know what is expected.

if the job is going to cost alot to get done and you know your prices are reasonable, let your clients know that so they don't feel like they are getting ripped off

*know your clients

*know your product

*know your competition
Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Have you tried advertising on Craigslist?
That's Freak'n funny! Cruel but funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Spot on!

Perception is everything.

Quote:
Nope I don't piss customers off if anything they should appreciate what I do as I go the extra mile every time and maybe that is my problem. I don't feel its appreciated at all. Come are you guys serious you don't experience this? Every customer you get is rich signs with a smile and appreciates everything? I find that hard to believe or maybe it because I am woman and your men but something doesnt make sense.

Could be the fact your a women and you're just more sensitive then the rest of us are. But we don't know you well enough to say that.

I do know if you're a woman in this field you're already about 3 steps ahead of the rest of us. A woman in this field has got it made.

Quote:
I have valid points about the issues customers do try and nickel and dime you down everytime, I know people want to get a good deal, but come on other people have to make a living too.
If all of your customers are doing this, you either are getting your lead base from the wrong place or you are doing this to yourself.

Quote:
This is the one industry where they always think they are getting ripped off so therefore they expect you to do things for free. I have seen it over and over and I am sure all of you have experienced it.
You're nuts.

Quote:
They always think that the job can be done quick and easily. They say "oh but that should only a take a few hours right?". Then the job takes two day and its complicated, but they never think it shoudl or will be and then they think your dragging it out on purpose to make more money. Or they have no idea how much work really goes into it.
Stop working T&M or learn how to set proper customer expectations. T&M can be a license to steal for a sh*tty tradesman. It's a huge crutch keeping losers in the business when they would be weeded out through natural selection if it wasn't for T&M.

Good thing for you to learn is to : Under promise and over deliver.

Quote:
I could go on, and another thing I have noted that I don't think people in the the trades stick together.
Have you notice the irony that just about everybody replying to you is sticking together on the same theme?

Quote:
p.s. and to the guy that can't read more than 3 sentences without getting distracted. The have medication for ADHD now
That-a-girl!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
constmgt (06-23-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #20
Pro

Advertisement