How Would You Charge In This Situation? - Business - Contractor Talk

How Would You Charge In This Situation?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

How Would You Charge In This Situation?

Task for today was to grout a 3' x 5' shower, walls only.

Started day at 7:30. Made a trip into lowes for supplies. Arrived on jobsite at about 8:30.

Prepped shower. Cleaned off excess thinset in areas. Masked walls and base for protections.

Start grouting with epoxy grout at about 10:00.

HO walked in the bathroom. The color she picked out is a no go. She hates it. Way lighter than she thought. (It was way lighter than the swatch on the package.)

I said now is the time if you don't want it. She says no go. I had only done about 4 sq ft so no big deal.

I removed grout and cleaned up.

She runs into the city, about 45 minutes away to get more grout.

I figure I'll suck it up and work late to make sure it gets done today, that way they see progress for time billed.

Well, the color she wanted was special order. So I wasted a whole day on nothing.

Job was T&M. I went back to clean and load up tools for next job tomorrow. I legitimately worked 4.5 hrs but wasted the whole rest of the day because she didn't end up liking the grout. Wasted day was not my fault.

How do you bill?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry; Kitchen & Bath Reno
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: How Would You Charge In This Situation?

I would bill her for the whole day but that's part of my T&M spiel - you cause me to lose a day due to site access or changing decisions, you pay for the day.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 986

You are screwed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Chris Johnson (03-05-2015), dkillianjr (03-05-2015), mikeswoods (03-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

You don’t have a minimum daily charge to cover short days?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 520

I would only bill for the time you actually spent. It sucks but it's the right thing to do.

1) it's time & materials, not days & materials

2) if the client is upset about being billed a full day when you didn't perform a full day of work, is it worth losing a happy client and good referral?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schaefercs For This Useful Post:
Anderson (03-05-2015), Creter (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefercs View Post
I would only bill for the time you actually spent. It sucks but it's the right thing to do.

1) it's time & materials, not days & materials

2) if the client is upset about being billed a full day when you didn't perform a full day of work, is it worth losing a happy client and good referral?

I would agree with you normally, but the client decided to change their mind last minute. A contractor shouldn't suffer because of a client's error.
There is no other service in the world that wouldn't charge for time spent on your job.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

I disagree, T&M should be to provide a fair labor rate when unknown circumstances prevent a firm price, design as you go and indecisive customers. By having a minimum daily cost clause it prevents HO’s from wasting your time with one hour days and HO caused mistakes. Time is moneys in ours business, loss time, gas etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festerized For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-05-2015), Jeff G (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,826

For me...

New customer...all day.

Reliable repeat customer...time spent.

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
Agility (03-05-2015), dkillianjr (03-05-2015), rrk (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

This is why I bid jobs on fixed prices and have all the details determined weeks before we show up.

What a mess.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,940

This really does depend. Short jobs like this you really need to spell out how you charge, and charge accordingly. If it's t&m with no other u.derstanding, it's 4.5 hours.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

I would and do charge for the day in a case like this.Not your problem she changed her mind .You spent a day charge for it unless she is a good customer or friend you feel like giving a break to.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
Livin the dream...

Its one of those complicated deals.

I pretty much lived at these peoples house on weekends from 16-21. Mom and dad to my best friend since high school.

That being said they are a royal PIA to work for. Not my target clientel but what can you do sometimes.

This job has been in the pipeline for a year. I gave multiple fixed quotes but it kept changing. Love the woman to death but she is a tight wad with no bearing on reality as to what things cost. Finally I got tired of giving prices and said, "T&M, it is what it is. $xx/hr." She is also the most indecisive customer I have ever had.

I feel that as the contractor I have a responsibility to make sure all materials are on site to complete the project in an efficient manner. I did. It wasn't my fault she didn't like the grout she picked out.

I think I'm going to meet them in the middle and chart 6.5 or 7 hrs. They won't know unless they ask. I am already charging them at the very bottom of the scale in terms of my hourly rate and not making anything on material markup so my mercy bucket is empty. I've been more that good to them so I don't feel I'm asking to much for them to meet me in the middle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (03-06-2015), Robie (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #13

Trade: General Contracting/Concrete
Rewards Points: 136

I'd charge for the time spent, not the full day. If you were going to charge for a full day I think the best thing to do would be to let her know up front or at least before she left to get a different color.

I'd be upset if I were in her shoes. She didn't change her mind, it was a different color than shown.. Not her fault, not your fault.

Unless this happens frequently I'm sure you could find something worth doing to finish the day: oil change, car wash, clean shop, catch up on bookwork, work on bids, plan out future jobs, etc.

Edit: just read your post above. I completely agree. That seems like a reasonable thing to do in that situation.

Last edited by klintala; 03-05-2015 at 05:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to klintala For This Useful Post:
Creter (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Its one of those complicated deals.

I pretty much lived at these peoples house on weekends from 16-21. Mom and dad to my best friend since high school.

That being said they are a royal PIA to work for. Not my target clientel but what can you do sometimes.

This job has been in the pipeline for a year. I gave multiple fixed quotes but it kept changing. Love the woman to death but she is a tight wad with no bearing on reality as to what things cost. Finally I got tired of giving prices and said, "T&M, it is what it is. $xx/hr." She is also the most indecisive customer I have ever had.

I feel that as the contractor I have a responsibility to make sure all materials are on site to complete the project in an efficient manner. I did. It wasn't my fault she didn't like the grout she picked out.

I think I'm going to meet them in the middle and chart 6.5 or 7 hrs. They won't know unless they ask. I am already charging them at the very bottom of the scale in terms of my hourly rate and not making anything on material markup so my mercy bucket is empty. I've been more that good to them so I don't feel I'm asking to much for them to meet me in the middle.
Situations like this you split the burden between yourself and the client.

The swatch didn't match, you said it yourself. You agreed with her, you are the expert here.

You are still entitled to be paid for the actual time you worked, but I don't see how you can collect on the remainder of the day. I'm sure it wasn't a wasted day, you had another 3 hours, go do paperwork, pick up materials for another job etc.
Creter (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Task for today was to grout a 3' x 5' shower, walls only.

Started day at 7:30. Made a trip into lowes for supplies. Arrived on jobsite at about 8:30.

Prepped shower. Cleaned off excess thinset in areas. Masked walls and base for protections.

Start grouting with epoxy grout at about 10:00.

HO walked in the bathroom. The color she picked out is a no go. She hates it. Way lighter than she thought. (It was way lighter than the swatch on the package.)

I said now is the time if you don't want it. She says no go. I had only done about 4 sq ft so no big deal.

I removed grout and cleaned up.

She runs into the city, about 45 minutes away to get more grout.

I figure I'll suck it up and work late to make sure it gets done today, that way they see progress for time billed.

Well, the color she wanted was special order. So I wasted a whole day on nothing.

Job was T&M. I went back to clean and load up tools for next job tomorrow. I legitimately worked 4.5 hrs but wasted the whole rest of the day because she didn't end up liking the grout. Wasted day was not my fault.

How do you bill?
T & M is what it is. 4.5 Hours is what I would bill. Understand there was a wasted deal but as long as the homeowner is willing to pay 4.5 hours and then whatever it takes to complete the next time.

Happy Home Owner = Vested Investment for You.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #16
Livin the dream...

I guess its going to get chalked up as one of those days.

It wasn't her fault. The color was much lighter. It may have dried darker but its wasn't worth the risk. It was going on as an off white and did look awful.

It wasn't my fault either. It is what it is.

I think billing for half a day is fair considering very little got done. Half a day still takes care of my paycheck and costs for the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #17
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
I guess its going to get chalked up as one of those days.

It wasn't her fault. The color was much lighter. It may have dried darker but its wasn't worth the risk. It was going on as an off white and did look awful.

It wasn't my fault either. It is what it is.

I think billing for half a day is fair considering very little got done. Half a day still takes care of my paycheck and costs for the day.
Think about it this way...if on your last day you finished 4 hours early would you still bill a client for 8 hours?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #18
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Think about it this way...if on your last day you finished 4 hours early would you still bill a client for 8 hours?
Moral of the story is when doing bathrooms give a fixed price and get paid for full days even if you do finish early.

I hate T&M work. Those half days are a profit eater...but in this situation I still think it was the right call. She is just something else to deal with.

Example: After I had completely gutted, drywalled, mudded, and kerdied the shower she comes in and asks about adding a window in the shower... Many examples like this over the coarse of the last week.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Moral of the story is when doing bathrooms give a fixed price and get paid for full days even if you do finish early.

I hate T&M work. Those half days are a profit eater...but in this situation I still think it was the right call. She is just something else to deal with.

Example: After I had completely gutted, drywalled, mudded, and kerdied the shower she comes in and asks about adding a window in the shower... Many examples like this over the coarse of the last week.
T&M jobs are a blessing with clients like that. Still I'm sure the remaining half of the day wasn't a complete waste.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Contractor of the Month

What color was it anyway?

Advertisement