How Do You Deliver Your High Estimates? - Business - Contractor Talk

How Do You Deliver Your High Estimates?

Old 09-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman services
Rewards Points: 20

How Do You Deliver Your High Estimates?

My husband makes custom cabinetry (built-in bookshelves and the like) and recently we've had a number of estimates turned down.

I think part of our problem is our audience. We've been relying on SEO to get customers, and I think that's drawing the IKEA-budget crowd. So we're going to try mailers to reach a more affluent market, as well as targeting interior designers.

But I'm also wondering if there's a better way to deliver the estimate.

For those of you who do work on the higher end of the price range, what are some of the sales techniques you use when you're handing out estimates?

Some of the options we've considered:
- Linking to a page on our website that educates them on the reason for the price difference (we do custom 3D models, use better materials, etc)
- Meeting more people in person before doing the ballpark estimate, so we can sell ourselves better (but this is a huge time sink)
- Just working to get more leads, and putting our pricing right out there online to pre-screen the IKEA crowd

The only thing we don't want to do is lower our standards and start using particle board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashevillain For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (09-09-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,513

Re: How Do You Deliver Your High Estimates?

How and when (how soon, etc.) do you deliver the estimates currently?

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
How and when (how soon, etc.) do you deliver the estimates currently?
We have a pretty quick turn-around, within a day or two.

Right now we're getting a basic idea of what they want and sending a ballpark estimate by email, just to make sure we're within their price range. (A lot of people don't know what to expect.)

We've also been experimenting with drawing up a quick 2D design to send with the estimate, to show them what they'd get for that price. Or sending an inspiration photo from Pinterest of what it might look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,842

That is a sure way to lose a sale. They see a price and it is 2,000 higher than the one they already have and they just trash it.

If you are there, you can explain the difference in hardware, lumber, build quality, etc.

You also can commiserate with them about the higher price. Being understanding when they don't want to spend the extra goes a long way towards helping them understand why it is more, and what they are getting for thier hard earned money.

Being there in person is the only way to sell a high priced item or job. There are exceptions, I have sold some and never met the customer, but day to day work is sold in person around here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Ashevillain (09-09-2019), hdavis (09-09-2019), TheConstruct (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Being there in person is the only way to sell a high priced item or job.
That's the answer I didn't want, but probably needed to hear.

I noticed a big-time guy in NYC has a "minimum project cost" on his website, presumably to chase off the IKEA crowd, but he also appears to do his estimates in person. So maybe that would be a good balance.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 730

You have to sell yourself!!! Explain why your price is likely higher. Explain that you do NOT sacrifice quality etc. Explain to them how to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

They need to see the value. Sometimes even having a completely different scope isn't enough. You have to spoon feed 99% of people.

Little Giant Siding & Construction
Our face on the book
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CScalf For This Useful Post:
Ashevillain (09-09-2019), TheConstruct (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashevillain View Post
We have a pretty quick turn-around, within a day or two.

Right now we're getting a basic idea of what they want and sending a ballpark estimate by email, just to make sure we're within their price range. (A lot of people don't know what to expect.)

We've also been experimenting with drawing up a quick 2D design to send with the estimate, to show them what they'd get for that price. Or sending an inspiration photo from Pinterest of what it might look like.

I would suggest calling those web inquiries to let them briefly tell you what they're looking for, and see if you're a match. You get to feel them out and see if an appointment is worth scheduling.

Also, think outside the box for your marketing. Find the high end real estate folks and get to know them. If you want to focus on built-in's, let them know..and win their trust, etc. Same for your art galleries, custom audio folks, designers, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Ashevillain (09-09-2019), Rio (09-11-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 942

I agree that you need to close these deals face to face.

Would also start with a budget price to see if they are serious or just tire kickers, then a trial close such as ....... At this time I would guess this job will be approx. $00,000 +/- 20% one way or the other. Is this a price you are willing to spend and if I bring back a proposal to you within this range are we going to be able to work together?

If you don't get a yes or get some answer like ..... We are getting a couple quotes but would love to work with you if you have the best price, your response should be ...... Okay, that's fine, you know where to find me and approx. how much our install will cost. If you get serious about the job and would like to work with us, give me a call and we'll put together your deal, exactly the way you want it built.

Point being, don't waste your time and money crunching numbers and writing up proposals until you are pretty confident they are going to work with you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Ashevillain (09-09-2019), Bull Trout (09-09-2019), MarkJames (09-09-2019), Rio (09-11-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,930

Carrier pigeon
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-10-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,956

If someone stops me at the hardware store or when they see me at a job, I will generally ask if they are just looking for a cheap price. That eliminates a few people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,402

You're selling a high-end product... would you buy a Mercedes through Craigslist site unseen?...

Your in person demonstration and closing is about differentiating yourself from the field... hard to do in just text and pictures...

People respond to people, like to touch and see what they are getting especially on the higher range...

There are exceptions to every rule...

If your concern is wasting time/money on estimates, how much time are you wasting on the ones you're not getting with your current strategy...

ANYONE can put together some numbers on a page and email it off (aka- throwing mud against the wall to see what sticks)... you're there to CLOSE the sale, not just deliver an estimate... If you're closing the sale, you have to be there ANYWAY, so why wouldn't you want to be there improving your chances of doing so...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 614

You are selling you, there is any number of carpenters can do the same thing as you, only you can convince the customer why they should go with you, hard to do that over a screen
Old 09-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #13
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,042

You seem to be mentally beating yourself before you make the presentation. You will not be selling yourselves to the best of your ability.

Your "high" bid is a result of you & your husband's experience, knowledge and expertise and reflects the high quality materials and craftsmanship you put in to your work.

If you have it in your head that the bid is high it will show in your presentation as you will be thinking that you are wasting your time.

Get your mental attitude straight.

IMO, you are fishing in the wrong pond.

As others have said contact people that may have access to higher end clients. Have a compact, professionally done pamphlet outlining what you do.

Don't recall who said it but IMO the handyman title does not go well with custom cabinetry. Although there are many skilled, competent handymen, the title implies low cost home repairs. Not something that instills confidence in a potential client.

DO NOT PUT YOUR PRICES ON THE INTERNET.

This will come back to bite you on the arse.

Put a line on your website indicating the high quality standards & craftsmanship that you put in to your work.

Also make mention your work is custom and you do not intend to compete with mass retailers or discount establishments.

Get out and meet people to get your name out there.

Pass out business cards but do not make each contact like a sales presentation.
Bull Trout (09-10-2019), Dirtywhiteboy (09-11-2019), Rio (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,308

In-person and I bring heart medication just in case
KAP (09-10-2019), SmallTownGuy (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,080

"How Do You Deliver Your Estimates High?"

Never a good idea.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 1,846

For those of you who do work on the higher end of the price range, what are some of the sales techniques you use when you're handing out estimates?

As a design/build firm we try and pre-qualify clients before we schedule an in-person initial consultation and talk ballpark budgets during this phone or email conversation. Once they pass through the first gate, we meet for an initial consultation and then either offer a construction proposal or a design agreement, depending on the size and scope of the project. We do very little work for free, including estimating and design.

Most of the custom cabinet companies I know of (including those offering online purchasing) offer free design as part of their sales process. Some have general pricing on their website as well. I suggest you develop a pre-qualification questionnaire to use as a guideline during your initial contact before moving on to either an in-person visit or "free" estimate. No sense in spending time with a client if you are not in the same ballpark pricing wise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-10-2019), Rio (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,078

Always in person. I am good salesman, good chance I overcome the sticker shock and get the project - but not if it's an email

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (09-10-2019), Irishslave (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Always in person. I am good salesman, good chance I overcome the sticker shock and get the project - but not if it's an email

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree, in person is best for larger projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
Jaws (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #19

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter
Rewards Points: 116

Very , very rarely do I deliver an estimate anymore. Most work between 30k and 150k. That's word of mouth and a lot of high quality jobs. Years ago it was probably 60% in person. I'm not a salesmen just enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

"Time sink" is a double edge sword. How much time are you spending "ball parking" instead of meeting clients? I'm at the point I look at all jobs on work hours M-F 8 - 4:30. If they can't commit to an hour out of their work day, they aren't serious.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastjoe View Post
Very , very rarely do I deliver an estimate anymore. Most work between 30k and 150k. That's word of mouth and a lot of high quality jobs. Years ago it was probably 60% in person. I'm not a salesmen just enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

"Time sink" is a double edge sword. How much time are you spending "ball parking" instead of meeting clients? I'm at the point I look at all jobs on work hours M-F 8 - 4:30. If they can't commit to an hour out of their work day, they aren't serious.
I spend very little time ball-parking compared with meeting clients. If a prospect calls and wants a kitchen that looks like the ones we typically build and have in our portfolio on our web site, I will ask what their budget is. If they are looking at a $100k+ kitchen and they want to spend $40k then we have a discussion to determine if it is worth even meeting at this time. I just saved myself from wasting an hour or more meeting them with a 10 minute phone conversation.

Advertisement