How Do You Charge For Removing Garbage From Your Smaller Jobs. - Business - Contractor Talk

How Do You Charge For Removing Garbage From Your Smaller Jobs.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Renovator
Rewards Points: 300

How Do You Charge For Removing Garbage From Your Smaller Jobs.

I recently got a new van.

Old van had a trailer hitch and I have an old home depot trailer.
Trailer sits in my yard and when It's full I haul it off to the dump.

The trailer looks unsightly sat in my back yard all year round, also it takes up a space the size of a small car, I live in a city where real estate is really expensive and that space taken up year round has a cost to it. In theory it takes up a car parking space every month.

I looked into getting a trailer hitch for my new van and was quoted $700 fitted. Also the trailer is about on it's last legs, so maybe spend $2000 on a new one. Also here I have to insure trailer for about $120 a year.

So the trailer in the back yard is convenient, but I don't think I've really charged my customers for what it really costs me to take the junk away.

What do you do with the junk from smaller jobs?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Re: How Do You Charge For Removing Garbage From Your Smaller Jobs.

I have trailer in my back yard I do the same with.
I charge 15/ bag for removal of trash from jobs. Everyone pays.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Framer53 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-27-2015), needs glasses (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,858

Why would you haul other peoples garbage?

If it is my own debris, I just put it in the job, or don't. I take small loads with my own.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

I have a dumpster at my home that gets dumped twice a month. Sometimes I wonder why I have it, sometimes I don't know how I'd live without it. Its for the jobs that are to small to use the dump trailer, but to much debris to leave the trash on site.

If I give a fixed price I have a line item figured in for trash haul away. If its a T&M job I just put a line item on the invoice for trash haul away. How much I charge depends on how much I take away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (06-28-2015), needs glasses (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Renovator
Rewards Points: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Why would you haul other peoples garbage?

If it is my own debris, I just put it in the job, or don't. I take small loads with my own.

Been on the sauce?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

That is a good topic for discussion---
I have a dumpster at my house----I build in the cost of disposal for my work---
But sometimes I do haul out trash that is not mine --I'd like to make the trash more profitable---

The local Servepro estimator helped me a bit---she said they get $250 a load for a truck my size---so at least I have some idea of value.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by needs glasses View Post
Been on the sauce?
Not yet. But soon.

I don't really consider my construction debris garbage. It is more just a product of the job. Like was said above, T&M, I just add the time to the dump and the dump fees. If it is a flat bid, it is just part of the misc. line on my bid. It usually isn't enough to worry about, though I don't have a problem with room to store my trailer.

Now I am off to hit the sauce. Who knows what I'll think on the subject when I'm done.
EMINNYS (06-27-2015), mikeswoods (06-27-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Home Repairs and Renovations
Rewards Points: 290

Being a one man show, I always look for ways to avoid the grunt work.

I just call a rubbish removal guy to take it away, send a couple pics and a description, he gives me a quote. He comes by one day when I'm at the finishing point in a job, the only work I do is phoning him up and paying him. Obviously cost gets passed on to the HO. I don't miss sitting in traffic taking a bunch of bags to the dump.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

I wish I had a fellow like that----
Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,124

I have a 4 yard dumpster at my shop. It is about 5 feet from the back of the van. The garbage man comes and empties it every Monday morning. It costs me $90 a month.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #11

Trade: Genral Contractor
Rewards Points: 264

Aside from being a contractor I also owner other businesses. One of the perks is dumpsters. I haul as much debris as I can in my truck so I leave the job as clean as possible.

Customers don't know where the crap goes, but the one thing they do know is it better not be in their home or yard! If the job doesn't call for a dumpster you are stuck. Do you bring it to the dump or leave it for the HO. It's my belief the HO should not be impacted in any way, so that includes debris.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
Aside from being a contractor I also owner other businesses. One of the perks is dumpsters. I haul as much debris as I can in my truck so I leave the job as clean as possible.

Customers don't know where the crap goes, but the one thing they do know is it better not be in their home or yard! If the job doesn't call for a dumpster you are stuck. Do you bring it to the dump or leave it for the HO. It's my belief the HO should not be impacted in any way, so that includes debris.
The contractor should always remove the trash, but I have seen many contractors leave tons of trash. I saw one contractor remove three layers of roofing and he told an elderly woman to find her own company to remove the material after he dumped in on all 4 sides of her home. There are some unscrupulous people out there.

One thing my company does is when we remove our debris we also haul away tons of crap that the customers have laying around their home. We do this because at the end of the job a clean property makes our work look cleaner and the removal of the debris is always appreciated. We probably remove about 15 to 30 cubic yards of the customer's debris every month and I usually have to pay to have our three 3-yard trash bins dumped a few extra times every month making our trash hauling bill about $650 per month vs. the regular $450.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:10 AM   #13
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,316

Estimate how much to haul the garbage off site and since there is good money in garbage don't forget to add so you can profit from it.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #14

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 34

By the hr. plus fees like everything else. I kind of enjoy that part of the job. If it's a lot I sub it out and pass the bill down the line.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/Insurance Repair
Rewards Points: 10

We do mostly insurance work, so we have the standard $250 per truck load line item in exactimate. We have a dump trailer that is parked at our office. So if it's a small amount of debris, it gets brought back, or I'll take the trailer to the job for bigger loads. Trailer gets dumped when it's full. We don't usually mind taking the random piece of furniture or junk for the homeowner.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDjim View Post
We do mostly insurance work, so we have the standard $250 per truck load line item in exactimate. We have a dump trailer that is parked at our office. So if it's a small amount of debris, it gets brought back, or I'll take the trailer to the job for bigger loads. Trailer gets dumped when it's full. We don't usually mind taking the random piece of furniture or junk for the homeowner.
We do insurance work and refuse to use X-actimate nor any other insurance company preferred software because the suggested prices are far too low.

When we sub hauling debris the lowest price we can get a truck load of debris removed is $600. We have a 5 cubic yard dump truck and the fee at the dump is $400. Even with our own truck, we have to pay labor for loading the truck, the truck driver's labor, fuel, dump fee and travel about 120 miles round trip to the dump.

For insurance work, I have a minimum debris removal charge of $500 even if the debris is only a few contractor-size trash bags. Someone has to pay me for the three 3-yard storage bins I keep on standby for trash.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 80

We charge a minimum of $500 on a job that is bid for a week or longer and $20 per bag on everything else. Roofing is $15 per square
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #18
Pro

Must be regional on the dump prices. Our 10ft trailer fully loaded costs about $70 to empty. So we make out ok.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #19
Pro

And on bigger jobs, it's 250 x however many loads are needed. Most jobs only need 1
Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Depending on the distance of the dump from the jobsite I will generally charge an hour plus the dumps minimum fee of $25 for small loads if it all can fit in the bed of my truck. If its a trailers worth from one job usually figure 4 hours plus $50 - $100 dump fee depending on what it is and how much I estimate it will weigh.

Advertisement