Help! Office Organization - Business - Contractor Talk

Help! Office Organization

Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General contractor specializing in kitchen and bath remodeling and design
Rewards Points: 415

Help! Office Organization

I like to use the extra holiday season time off to work on organizing and gearing up for the following year. This usually includes sorting through and organizing my shop and truck and also going through piles of paperwork and receipts and catching up on all kinds of office work. After 3 hrs this evening going through receipts and time sheets I'm exhausted and looking for better ways to do things.

I could use some advice on the office side of things. Any advice on staying organized and on top of things is appreciated; however, I'm really looking for a few things.

1) do you use quick books or any similar system to track your business costs, profits, etc?
(Right now I use organized piles of papers and file folders and several rough spreadsheets I put together)

2) do you use any kind of receipt logging system or software?
(Right now I pile my receipts in a basket on my desk and periodically sit down and log them all onto a rudimentary spreadsheet separating them by job name)

3) what do you use for time sheet tracking for your employees and for yourself?
(Right now I have a paper time sheet for my employees that logs time in and out and which job name they were on. I then put that into a payroll spreadsheet and when it comes time to figure my labor per job I have to go back to the time sheet and add it up by employee which takes forever)

I very much appreciate any input you can offer. Pros or cons to anything you have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Certified Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,458

Re: Help! Office Organization

Hello my name is Stevarino, I don't know builder but I'm going to describe his office to a tee! Lmao. Yeah we have quickbooks and papers galore floating everywhere. I'd like to know what other people have to say about this. SUBSCRIBED.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 950

Spend 10 minutes tops entering all receipts into your accounting program every single day and chaos will dissipate.
Inner10 (11-30-2016), overanalyze (11-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 12,865

I have my spreadsheet on my phone. I buy something I enter it in either right there or when I get into my truck. I have two basic areas in my spreadsheet, checking and quarterly reports.

In the checking I put the date, the amount and description job/item. In the quarterly reports I put the date and the amount goes under the job name.

It calculates my checking account balance/deposits/withdrawals, individual job expenses, material expenses, yearly expenses, gross earnings, net earnings, taxes owed (approx).

What use to take hours at the quarter, now takes minutes and i have a lot more info.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builders Inc. View Post
Hello my name is Stevarino, I don't know builder
huh?
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (12-01-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 458

I have 4 employees. I generally just do my bookkeeping on Saturday mornings. I am not one to really worry too much about designating specific receipts to specific jobs, as most of our jobs tend to be labor heavy. I use paper time sheets, and do my payroll in 5 minutes every other week from the computer or even my phone. I write on my receipts the job name, and since I use my cc for almost all purchases, I just log them into Quickbooks once a month.

For my GC jobs, I will write the amounts from the receipts onto my desk calendar, and then I can reference that when I am billing. It is one of those big desk calendars and I also jot down a timesheet guess each day when I sit down to take my boots off
Old 11-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
huh?
Builder, as in the person who typed that. He is saying that Stevarino described his office without knowing him. Was a joke

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (12-02-2016), CharlieDelta (12-01-2016), KAP (11-30-2016), TxElectrician (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
huh?

He took the words out of my mouth. Per say.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 657

Quickbooks, excel & dropbox

pretty much paperless !

The Following User Says Thank You to carpenter uk For This Useful Post:
EricBrancard (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,462

We are now about 99% paperless too. Quickbooks online, I'm a huge fan. As for receipts, I use an app for my phone called Wave to store them immediately when I get out of the store. It stores and uses a photo of them to extract data (store name, amount, etc). Then the receipt goes right into the trash before it even hits my desk. It's all backed up online too.

I solved the time card problem by paying my guys a set percentage of the job profit. I always felt like I was getting ripped off on time.

For you, I would pick one program that solves one of your problems and start to organize piece by piece, not all at once. Learning to use Quickbooks is a very very good place to start.

From there, I'd grab Wave for your phone, then learn to love Dropbox. Dropbox and Quickbooks let me run my business from anywhere, including the cruise ship I'm on this week.

Some's bastards, some's ain't, and that's the score
Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC PM
Rewards Points: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post
We are now about 99% paperless too. Quickbooks online, I'm a huge fan. As for receipts, I use an app for my phone called Wave to store them immediately when I get out of the store.

I solved the time card problem by paying my guys a set percentage of the job profit. I always felt like I was getting ripped off on time.
I will look into wave. Sounds great.

The next paragraph is very interesting... no base wages? How often do you pay? Just upon job completion? So many questions....
Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
90%-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMKW View Post
I will look into wave. Sounds great.

The next paragraph is very interesting... no base wages? How often do you pay? Just upon job completion? So many questions....
I sat down with a couple of sample jobs, looked at the numbers, then came up with a formula that we could try. Typed it all up in an agreement, and had each guy sign it.

I provide the quote to my guys ahead of time, very transparent. Their pay is the total amount billed, minus all materials and credit card processing fees, etc, times 60%. The 40% of the profit goes to cover the rest of our overhead, and money in my pocket. The crews that work together have decided amongst themselves how they will further split the 60% for the jobs, based on skill and experience etc.

Once they decide, I plug that into the calculator and cut checks. As a general rule, I pay them once a week, for anything that we have already been paid on. The one or two times a year I get stiffed by a customer, I pay them anyway for their work. The cost is made up for by wasting exactly zero dollars to pay someone to play with their phone or smoke cigarettes when I'm not there. For my part, I stay honest and pay them exactly what they earn, with no upper limit or cap.

I take draws during big jobs and pay them advances. And I am very VERY good about collecting money when we are owed. I don't work for any commercial customers that do Net 30 or anything like that.

On the occasional job that goes bad and takes twice as long to do that I planned, we all take the hit. Other jobs, they make an absolute killing on. It balances out quite well, if you zoom out and look at it monthly or yearly, instead of just getting pissed about the one bad job.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #13
90%-er

It also makes them personally invested in the job outcome and a happy customer. Strong incentive to do it right, because they don't get paid for callbacks to fix things they hacked together

The Following User Says Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,244

For paper receipts, I carry a cheap spiral bound notepad in the truck. I used to tape the receipts in on the blank pages, but tape isn't always that great. Staples always work. I have an excel (actually, open office now) spreadsheet I put together where everything can be put in in any order with a letter to designate category of expenditure, and the whole thing gets summarized by category, etc. for whatever time period I want to look at.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post
We are now about 99% paperless too. Quickbooks online, I'm a huge fan. As for receipts, I use an app for my phone called Wave to store them immediately when I get out of the store. It stores and uses a photo of them to extract data (store name, amount, etc). Then the receipt goes right into the trash before it even hits my desk. It's all backed up online too.

For you, I would pick one program that solves one of your problems and start to organize piece by piece, not all at once. Learning to use Quickbooks is a very very good place to start.

From there, I'd grab Wave for your phone, then learn to love Dropbox. Dropbox and Quickbooks let me run my business from anywhere, including the cruise ship I'm on this week.

What wave app do you use. There's two. And it says "get" in the App Store but then they want to charge you. There is no price amount next to the download button. How expensive is it. Don't wanna me paying for a trial. Meh....

Old 12-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
90%-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builders Inc. View Post
What wave app do you use. There's two. And it says "get" in the App Store but then they want to charge you. There is no price amount next to the download button. How expensive is it. Don't wanna me paying for a trial. Meh....

App I use is officially called "Receipts by Wave for business" in the Android play store. I don't think I paid for it originally, but then again, I tend to justify buying **** online when I've been sipping the whiskey...so maybe I did? Worth it either way anyway. Even when it misses or extracts data inaccurately, it still stores the picture so I don't have to store the receipt. No paper! No worries. Yah mahn.

The Following User Says Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
Builders Inc. (12-03-2016)
Old 09-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #17

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

From there, I'd grab Wave for your phone, then learn to love Dropbox. Dropbox and Quickbooks let me run my business from anywhere

Dropbox is probably the easiest way to start digitizing your back office. Take a picture of each receipt immediately upon getting it and load it into your Dropbox folders (via the app). You can get granular and track project and additional info by making little notes on the actual receipt. You can also set up several folders within Dropbox to help you organize by project, date, employee, etc... I'd recommend keeping paper receipts in a filing cabinet JUST in case but having them digital really will help a boatload. Dropbox also allows you to easily share folders with anyone who may need access.

Erin
Old 09-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 6

One more for QuickBooks but I'd stay away from the online version. It's pricey and the desktop version is far better and cheaper.
As for cloud storage, Google drive and Dropox are tops. Microsoft has OneDrive that is pretty good if you use Microsoft Office.
Learn to take advantage of cloud storage. For me I keep all my submittal sheets so I can access if needed, useful documents that I email regularly, note pads, photos, etc

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Framing / Finish / Windows / Doors
Rewards Points: 210

Quickbooks is a must. I use the online version as its much easier to access by phone or iPad while I'm in the field. I also have three computers at my home office so it's easier to not need multiple copies of it.
Drop box is an absolute must. Not only for saving receipts. I keep all of my files for each job on drop box, plans, contract, sub contractor proposals, cut sheets, plumbing fixture specs. You name it it's in the file. I can pull up every single document I need for a job on my iPad in the field in seconds.
I use Raken for my daily reports for my projects which is a very handy tool.
All of this modernization in the construction industry with cloud based software has allowed me to do the job of three people it seems like.

I run a general contracting business and I also run a framing and finish carpentry business with 15 employees. We have developed a company specific software for job costing and time tracking which allows us to understand every single day how much we have spent and how much we have left on a job. This has been amazing to help us understand when we need to push harder and when were are doing really well on a job. Im currently in the process of trying to sell my software and thinking about a cloud base model at an inexpensive fee of say $10 - $15 per month to use it. It's has done wonders for my business.

Advertisement