Handyman With Too Much Work - Business - Contractor Talk

Handyman With Too Much Work

Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Your Handyman

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 18

Handyman With Too Much Work

I'm hoping to get some advice for help with my situation. I've been a handyman for 8 1/2 years. My schedule fills to the point where I have too much work to do. I currently have over 40 projects on my list and estimate I'm booked for 12 weeks. All my business comes from referrals. I don't have time for anything but my business. The one thing I don't want to do is hire any employees. Is there anyone who has experienced this and can offer some suggestions? Thank you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Chuck

Trade: Excavating, Clearing, Underground Utilities
Rewards Points: 506

Re: Handyman With Too Much Work

Welcome to CT.
Just raise your prices and that should help solve your problem.

Advertisement

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to S.R.E. For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (05-31-2012), BC Carpenter (05-31-2012), CrpntrFrk (05-31-2012), CUT2XStillShort (06-02-2012), Gary H (05-31-2012), Jaws (06-03-2012), Max10 (06-06-2012), NYC2012 (10-16-2012), PrecisionFloors (07-01-2012), Rio (06-03-2012), TAHomeRepairs (07-04-2012), WNYcarpenter (06-06-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I'm the same way right now, trying not to take any more on and then another phone call that I can't say no to. I've just been pushing through the pain. Just about burnt out. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: cabinets and green building
Rewards Points: 160

When I get to much on my plate there are a few other guys in town I refer people to. It works out that when I am slow one of those guys is booked up and throws me a job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-03-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 1,012

If you need time for yourself, then just say no and block a week or whatever time you need and don't work during that time. If it's referrals that you get your work thru then they will understand. If you don't take a day or two here and there you will burn yourself out and then sometimes your business will suffer. You will lose the drive to keep going and then look out.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

if you don't want to hire a helper to lug stuff around for you on the bigger jobs or an office assistant to help you so you can be out in the field instead of taking phone calls and doing the books...then i would say you need to raise your prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
NYC2012 (10-16-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
A stickler for excellence

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Matt View Post
The one thing I don't want to do is hire any employees.
Why?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 1,236

Quote:
I'm hoping to get some advice for help with my situation. I've been a handyman for 8 1/2 years. My schedule fills to the point where I have too much work to do. I currently have over 40 projects on my list and estimate I'm booked for 12 weeks. All my business comes from referrals. I don't have time for anything but my business. The one thing I don't want to do is hire any employees. Is there anyone who has experienced this and can offer some suggestions? Thank you.
I've been busy since 1976. Just tell your customers they have to wait until you can get there. Only a few wont.
NYC2012 (10-16-2012), TNTRenovate (06-03-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,260

why not hire a 'helper'-even a young guy can serve a purpose. this might require your business model to change-if you are charging T&M, adding the extra guy may be a little more tricky.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
NINZAN STUDIO (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 848

theres nothing wrong with having a couple of injuns, we all gotto learn to hunt and skin the the kill, pass on the skils and traits that are good.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: interior/exterior
Rewards Points: 402

are you legal ?
if not , i really wouldn`t want to help you .
i know this sounds shi##y ,
but these days guys who say they are " handymen" are just basically people who slip under the law , and take work away from legal contractors who have to pay the whole cost , and lose out to illegals who don`t have overhead , like license , and insurance..
they don`t want to hire people ,because they are illegal , and don`t want to get caught.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Carolina Surface Prep

Trade: Media blasting and residential restoration
Rewards Points: 202

Here we go again............
Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Why?
That was my question too, why not hire people? I did years ago and never looked back.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
NYC2012 (10-16-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: water restoration
Rewards Points: 552

Deciding to hire help is kinda scary but if your that busy than its probably time. Get them working with you and get some trust in them and you'll be able to send them out do little stuff.

If your not losing jobs due to price than you need to raise them. Raise your price 10% and you can do less work and make more money. You may even get time for yourself!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Shell building contractor
Rewards Points: 1,236

IMO a good handyman is hard to come by.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Your Handyman

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 18

Thank you for the responses. I've been busy and have not had time to reply.

First, I need to answer one contractor who was questioning my 'legality'. I carry a $1,000,000 liability policy for my business. I have handyman insurance for my tools and equipment. I am licensed and bonded. If a project permit is necessary I apply for it. I call in outside contractors for projects I can't take on officially (like breaker boxes) or need assistance with. There, that's taken care of.

I have never wanted to hire employees because of the added responsibility and an added aspect of the business. Now I have to manage not just the jobs but people as well. In Ohio there's a requirement for Workmen's Compensation when you have people working for you. That's an expensive undertaking. That is why I've kept it a one man operation.

I've considered raising my hourly rate. I've never looked into the going rate for a handyman in the northeast Ohio area, however, so I don't know if my rate is high or low at the moment? There was a suggestion for raising the rate by 10%. Does anyone have insight for finding out what the acceptable rates are for independent trade professions?

I do have a vacation planned for the first week of July. And this year I was called for jury duty at the end of March. I lost an entire week's work right there, but it did give me a break. The jobs kept piling on, though.

That's enough for now. I look forward to additional feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to Handy Matt For This Useful Post:
NYC2012 (10-16-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 298

Hey Matt
i get the not wanting to hire someone
i personally think the advice i agree with the most is to schedule jobs on your terms
and explain to some customers that yes you want to do their job , but they have to take their place on your schedule and explain why it is worth it for them to wait for you And the value you offer .
If they cant wait for you then well that just helps with the problem of too many customers
I am from mass and every one i know or most guys have the opposite problem there just isn't enough work right now , our state has been hit extremely hard for the last few years and most of us are scraping by
I think having too much work is really a blessing and you will figure out the best way for you to get some time for yourself
Good luck
Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,838

Matt, I am also in Ohio and as a painter find myself in a similar situation. All my work is referrals and my schedule is full.
I like to think I am not the cheapest in town, I am hired to do about 50% of my estimates so I think I am pricing OK. I keep slowly raising my rates to see what the market will bare.
I make sure that my customers are willing to wait, and it could be months. Most are, if not then I try to referre them on.
I work set hours, I like to start as early as the job will allow and always stop at 5:00pm, very few exceptions. I have worked for other painters in the past and there wasn't enough hours in the day or week. I always said I would not be like this.
My wife is willing to do most of the office work and that helps considerably.
Take a break if you feel you need it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (06-04-2012), NYC2012 (10-16-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Matt
You will always be limited in how much you can earn if you are the sole person doing all the work and there is nothing wrong with that. If you aspire for growing a business then you need help. There are a few ways of getting help with the work (referring it out, hiring employees, hiring sub-contractors, using a PEO to deal with workers comp and employer headaches etc.)

You have already done the hardest part of business and that is attracting an abundance of customers and recurring work. Kudos to you!
Regards,
Chuck

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinahandyma For This Useful Post:
NYC2012 (10-16-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,314

Quote:
If you want to be a one man show, you really need to raise your prices. You'll need extra days to work on the administrative portion of your business, you need some days off as well. Personally, I don't understand the people that are against having employees. To me that's like telling yourself your time is no more valuable than the people doing the work. Why not use employees and free up more of your time to do the things they can't do? Such as market your business? Run your company?

Quote:
Does anyone have insight for finding out what the acceptable rates are for independent trade professions?
They range from $10 an hour to $80 an hour. I'm not joking, those are rates I've seen and had to compete with. Keep in mind 9 out of 10 contractor's fail within the first five years, and the reason is mostly due to not charging enough for the work you do. So whatever this "acceptable rate" is, it's probably so low that it will make you go broke, because that's what most contractor's are doing. Just stay on top of your books and if you are making enough to cover your overhead while earning a wage with a 10% profit, then your rates should be fine.

Advertisement

Last edited by KennMacMoragh; 06-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.