Getting Tired Of Clients Not Making Decisions - Business - Contractor Talk

Getting Tired Of Clients Not Making Decisions

Old 01-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 52

Getting Tired Of Clients Not Making Decisions

I do kitchen and bath remodels and it seems there are a thousand decisions that need to be made (countertop type, cabinets, pulls, appliances, colors, materials, finishes, flooring, tile, grout color). I spend so much time trying to get these decisions made so the job can keep moving. What is the best way you have found to make this more efficient?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,168

Re: Getting Tired Of Clients Not Making Decisions

Get them made before the job starts.

Advertisement

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dave_dj1 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-01-2020), Golden view (01-01-2020), KAP (01-01-2020), MN_general (01-02-2020), overanalyze (01-02-2020), Wile E Coyote (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,874

It's not they're not making decisions. It's due to them not understanding there are decisions to be made and think it all just magically 'happens'.
enterprise (01-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 16,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerr98277 View Post
I do kitchen and bath remodels and it seems there are a thousand decisions that need to be made (countertop type, cabinets, pulls, appliances, colors, materials, finishes, flooring, tile, grout color). I spend so much time trying to get these decisions made so the job can keep moving. What is the best way you have found to make this more efficient?
Selections Packet. We have every decision listed prior to the job starting. Now we have a full time AA/Selections Manager and she makes the list off of the plans. We do it for new houses, whole house remodels, commercial all the way down to a kitchen update for an existing client.

Colors, grout colors, grout sizes, countertop type, species, edge etc..., trim details, appliances, tile, flooring, shingles, cabinet knobs, door hardware. whatever. All listed prior to starting

If it's a larger project they have a Schedule of Selections. If they dont make that selection and confirm by the date listed (i.e. counters June 23) they get 5 (five) days added to my build time. That gets their attention. Got sick of people f'inf around not selecting windows and literally causing a 4 week delay on a 10 month build

For a bath or kitchen - all would have to selected and approved before I'd start. In fact I'd want it all in my shop warehouse before we began

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Cheif Joseph
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-01-2020), Calidecks (01-01-2020), EthanB (01-01-2020), Golden view (01-01-2020), KAP (01-01-2020), overanalyze (01-02-2020), SummitElectric1 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
New Guy

It took 3 days for a client to decide where they wanted the cabinet pulls located on the cabinet. frustrating
Old 01-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
New Guy

Jaws, it can be hard enough getting subs to show up on time. The last thing I need are these delays. I like what you're doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmerr98277 For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,008

Part of the balancing act is to [diplomatically] tell the client how things are going to go, and in some cases not even offering choices. Too many choices = indecision. Of course, you need to use some pretty good judgement going down that road.

We all want our customers to be ecstatic when the job is done, but in many cases the most practical thing is to lead them and hope they're happy with the end result. You can go broke consulting over every little detail and waiting for decisions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-01-2020), Calidecks (01-01-2020), Dirtywhiteboy (01-04-2020), Jaws (01-02-2020), mrcat (01-01-2020), SummitElectric1 (01-02-2020), tgeb (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,434

I tell my customers appliances must be selected ( not necessarily bought ) before cabinets are ordered, cabinets are ordered before job starts, I narrow down sink/faucet selection to 2 or 3 they can be finalized week before tops are templated, tops are chosen when cabinets are delivered same with backsplash and knobs, they can take door with them.

Light fixtures are finalized very early in project, locations are finalized early. Knob locations take 10 min choice A,B, or C

Once they understand you have done more kitchens than them they will adhere to the deadlines you give them. Once they trust you, they know it will turn out great.

I rarely require everything on site at the start, especially after appliances getting damaged. Appliance places will hold them for months without an issue, sinks, faucets can be obtained in a few days, tile 10 days at most, special lighting 3 weeks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-02-2020), Jaws (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #9
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

Same as John(Jaws). For a smaller project, kitchen or bath, etc. I would provide a selections list that needs to be filled out and signed before day 1 on site. For longer jobs I provided an attached list as an Exhibit and dated when each selection needed to be made with a damages clause for delays.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-02-2020), Jaws (01-02-2020), NJ Contractor (01-02-2020), overanalyze (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 304

I want as much as possible on the jobsite when I start. I'd be screwed if I let them make decisions without my input.

It requires planning on the contractors part decisions are made way beforehand.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 06:36 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 12,348

Turn around and walk straight into the wall and talk it.

People yes you to death and ignore your advice and guidance way more often than they listen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,138

Agreed with making decisions before ever starting. I list it out, for them. I realize there will always be some changes, but heading it off, beforehand, makes life so much easier.
It also makes you look more professional, because the job will go much smoother. A year from now, they won't remember the job took so long because they couldn't make up their mind. The will just remember it took you a long time to complete the project.
That goes for the neighbors watching also. They don't know you waited 3 days for a handle placement, they just watch you come and go, and think you work slow.

I blame the internet for customers not being able to make choices. They spend too much time looking at pictures, looking at pintrest, discussing it on facebook, and doing too much research. HGTV doesn't help either.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 12,348

A big thing nobody talks about is your ability to make a mark up with quality products at your preferred vendor.

for years I used to talk people out of going to box stores and buying off the internet due to quality issues and lack of accountability. The best laid plans still show up damaged or other hassles and there's nobody to talk to.

Well now my venders are starting to be just as lousy trying to keep up with all that business they were losing. Your customers are getting the same price as you and you still have the same quality control issues only now you took responsibility.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-02-2020), Jaws (01-02-2020), overanalyze (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling and restoration of log homes

I donít do a lot of remodels, but I have everything selected before I start, collect for appliances or have them purchase, have it shipped to my shop waiting for my schedule. Once we start, any changes to scope requested by customer will carry $500 c/o fee on top of what labor and materials may be. A lot easier to change on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #15

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 208

Have all the decisions made before you walk on the job.
Tell them you cannot start until all is in writing. If you think it will slow you down, wait until they get a hold of one of your employees when you are not there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoArk Willy For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-02-2020), MN_general (01-04-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #16
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
A big thing nobody talks about is your ability to make a mark up with quality products at your preferred vendor.

for years I used to talk people out of going to box stores and buying off the internet due to quality issues and lack of accountability. The best laid plans still show up damaged or other hassles and there's nobody to talk to.

Well now my venders are starting to be just as lousy trying to keep up with all that business they were losing. Your customers are getting the same price as you and you still have the same quality control issues only now you took responsibility.
Yeah it's hard to compete with the contractor putting in the paper-thin acrylic tub from HD or Lowes. I had somebody ask for a bathroom remodel bid and they first told me they already had a bid for $3k. I told them I couldn't buy decent fixtures for that price.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #17
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerr98277 View Post
Yeah it's hard to compete with the contractor putting in the paper-thin acrylic tub from HD or Lowes. I had somebody ask for a bathroom remodel bid and they first told me they already had a bid for $3k. I told them I couldn't buy decent fixtures for that price.
imo, you are fishing in the wrong pond if your clients even know what home depot & lowes are.

it is imperative that a GC educate people as to the quality etc of what they are buying.

last time i dealt with a client that mentioned HD i walked, told them we were not a fit as i do not do budget work.

not your fault they can not afford what they want....
enterprise (01-03-2020), Jaws (01-02-2020), KAP (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #18
Design/Build

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,206

For smaller projects require that everything be on site prior to start. For larger projects you need to have a selections sheet that they have signed with ordering/delivery dates that must be met along with agreed upon monetary and time delay penalties for not meeting them. If on the other hand you need the work and have to start the project without these items, be aware that there is the potential risk for delays which will cost you money.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: GC aka adult baby sitter
Rewards Points: 76

I have a hybrid method that works well for us. Cabs, tops and appliances selected and ordered before we start. After that I give them dates I need selections. We're doing demo, they are looking at tile. Plaster guys are there they are looking at paint ect. Keeps them busy doing "their job" so I can do mine. You have to stay at least a 2 weeks ahead of them though.

Most of my customers, one doesn't work and the other work from home often. This gets me away from the "when does this start, when's so and so starting. We mostly do high end kitchen and bath's that take a while.

As for 3 days to select pull location, that's on you. Here's the 3-4 spots they can go, I need an answer in the morning. You may need to be more assertive with the customer as the truly don't know until you tell them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastjoe For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-04-2020), rrk (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,258

Time & Materials! Our clients make fast decisions when they realize I'm standing there and the clock is ticking.

Advertisement

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-03-2020), MN_general (01-04-2020), Morning Wood (01-04-2020), overanalyze (01-04-2020)