General Contractor Qualifier To Qualify Your Business - Business - Contractor Talk

General Contractor Qualifier To Qualify Your Business

Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Trade: energy
Rewards Points: 10

General Contractor Qualifier To Qualify Your Business

I am a start up Replacement window company In florida We sell windows to residential customers I have a GC that installes for us, however we want to be able to pull the permits our self and also be a legit part of his business I have another GC in mind that I think will do it my question is I have no idea what {I should offer him as compensation for doing this adding our name to his license as agents, also should he become a partner on my company, I really dont want to do that, I belive we will sell around 2000 windows this year, and I will go for my GC license next year but for now does anyone have a suggestion.... I do know of other companys doing it this way just waqned to see how to do it...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Re: General Contractor Qualifier To Qualify Your Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsez9 View Post
I am a start up Replacement window company In florida We sell windows to residential customers I have a GC that installes for us, however we want to be able to pull the permits our self and also be a legit part of his business I have another GC in mind that I think will do it my question is I have no idea what {I should offer him as compensation for doing this adding our name to his license as agents, also should he become a partner on my company, I really dont want to do that, I belive we will sell around 2000 windows this year, and I will go for my GC license next year but for now does anyone have a suggestion.... I do know of other companys doing it this way just waqned to see how to do it...
Don't get caught playing GC in FL without a license! I heard the code cops carry guns and handcuffs.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Certified Building Contractor Florida
Rewards Points: 344

I really don't think you can operate the way things used to be anymore..there are so many loopholes closed in the past 3-4 years down here it would shock me to see you qualified by another GC without owning part of his business or him owning part of yours.

I am curious as to why you don't qualify yourself?...

Here is the thing..another business can qualify you under their license on a statewide basis but it will require a meeting before the CILB ( Construction Industry Licensing Board) in Tallahassee. They will go over you and your background with a fine tooth comb to see why you need an "independent" qualifier. They will ask you all kinds of fun questions..like:
1) Have you ever been convicted of a felony? An economic crime?
2) Have you ever declared bankruptcy? Personal or business?
3) Have you had any Tax liens in the past?..Now?
4) Have you ever had a judgement placed against you?
5) Have you ever been convicted for working without a license?
6) Why don't you take the test and get your own license?

If any of those questions make you think of interesting ways to answer them then perhaps you should pursue local county licensing as the State of Florida has pretty much shut down the old way of doing things.

I had to do a background check...a civil and criminal one..I had to submit electronic fingerprints..I had to have a credit check down on a personal and business level...4 years after I was licensed!!!...it was a change in the laws that made me us all pass these criteria and as we entered into renewal phases for our license we had to do it ...the above listed items cost me over $380 and I was already licensed in good standing.

Good Luck..but I would send ChrissiJackson this thread and see what she can tell you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

barry1219 that is what I was willing to do Is make him a partner on paper however I just dont know what to pay him I do all the sales he does all the installes and warrenty work I just do not know what I should offer him to do this
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,614

He should hire you and pay you a salary. Seems that you aren't really a business, but just trying to make money without doing the hard work.
CompleteW&D (03-12-2013), Gary H (03-13-2013), Needles (03-16-2013), TAHomeRepairs (03-12-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
He should hire you and pay you a salary. Seems that you aren't really a business, but just trying to make money without doing the hard work.
Would kind of beg to differ..sales is hard work. Getting out there and finding prospects AND closing deals. That is the business side of things and there are alot of guys out there that can do the work, but cant figure that out.

To the OP- You should really think about getting your licence first..and finding qualified window installers(think thats what you mean by GC?) who will act as subs. If all you want to do is the sales there are plenty of companies out there that will give you a shot. Where most companies in this industry that focus primarily on sales and marketing (and sub the work out) get tripped up is : A) not understanding the work B) having bad labor C) taking short cuts to make a quick buck.

If you want to put it together, i would suggest doing it right even if it takes a little bit more time.

Last edited by Spaint90; 03-13-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Spaint90 You are soooo right most of these guys have no clue how hard sales is If it was not for Salesmen there would be no need for contractors or anything else for that matter... My GC and I have come to an agreement we are going to be partners in my company he will do all the installes and i will do all the sales he will be listed on my corp we will hire his company do do all the installes his company will asumen all responabilty and he will be compensated for the installes.....
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsez9 View Post
Spaint90 You are soooo right most of these guys have no clue how hard sales is If it was not for Salesmen there would be no need for contractors or anything else for that matter... My GC and I have come to an agreement we are going to be partners in my company he will do all the installes and i will do all the sales he will be listed on my corp we will hire his company do do all the installes his company will asumen all responabilty and he will be compensated for the installes.....
I wouldnt go anywhere near as far as saying if it wasnt for salespeople there would be no need for contractors

You may already want to revise your attitude on that one, just my .02..having been on both sides of the fence

Majority of companies out there are hard working skilled trade guys, who start out and build referal WOM. I have several very close friends who dont really have to try and sell anything, they get a call, name their price and the job is theres. They also do some phenomenal work, and have amazing subs as well.

Key rule of sales is never to put yourself above anyone, or make it seem like you are more important. No one likes that. The guys handling your work are extremely important and deserve respect.

Im assuming if you are familiar with home improvement sales..particularly windows.. then you are also familiar with the "one call close". Marketing hard and handling sales calls is a different model. It is hard work. Its also a different game than most contractors play. Doesnt make one better than the other, just different models, different lifestyles.

I honestly am not sure about the legalities of your corp? or your state laws? but i would also not be so sure about that "he accepts all responsibilites" part..because remember it is in your companies name, and you are the one selling the job. Believe me, if something goes wrong you are going to revisit that one.

Best of luck
Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

I hope the general knows what he's getting into, because I think I don't understand.

Advertisement