Finding A Middle Ground On A Strange Job. - Business - Contractor Talk

Finding A Middle Ground On A Strange Job.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Concrete/Masonry
Rewards Points: 400

Finding A Middle Ground On A Strange Job.

I helped a friend of mine that was contacted to put in a basement floor, nothing strange there we help each other back and forth all the time.

They absolutely had to have it done that exact day, so we show up and the deck is on, great, now we have to cancel the conveyor and wheel it in.

That morning it is raining and snowing and everything else, I wanted to call it a wash, but they "needed" it in that day. So we carried on, the deck isn't weatherproofed so we get a billion drip craters on it from the seams and we had to squeegee the whole thing off.

After an epic 18 hour battle we finally get it buttoned up and get a decent finish on it.

Keep in mind, if it was my job there would have been a contract and I would have rushed over to see what the problem was. So I know already what should have been done, just looking for advice on how to proceed.

They call the next day and don't like it because there are some swirls in the floor

Anyway, the guy whose job it is has basically blown them off and I can't get him to set up a meeting time with them. Should I just go over his head and arrange a meeting with the GC to discuss our payment options and just what he thinks is wrong with the floor.

I feel it is too much energy and time vested to write off what we both thing is an acceptable floor, but he is dragging his feet and being a bit unprofessional about it.

Last edited by NYCB; 11-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Re: Finding A Middle Ground On A Strange Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdwnandhngon View Post
I helped a friend of mine that was contacted to put in a basement floor, nothing strange there we help each other back and forth all the time.

They absolutely had to have it done that exact day, so we show up and the deck is on, great, now we have to cancel the conveyor and wheel it in.
Ok. I am confused. Is this a concrete basement floor? Or is this wood on top of a basement floor? Or is it something else? And then you mention that the deck is on? Where? In the basement? And why did you need a conveyor?

I'm totally not understanding.

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Pro

Concrete floor in the basement.

Usually the foundation walls go up, you pour the floor, then they put the floor system and decking on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitdwnandhngon View Post
Concrete floor in the basement.

Usually the foundation walls go up, you pour the floor, then they put the floor system and decking on.
Usually I don't have my floors poured until the home is dried in.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 520

So what your are calling decking is actually the subfloor. Thats where the confusion started. 2nd do they not have plastic where you guys are at? If it was your friend's job why is the GC calling you. I would think your friend is responsible for paying you. Hard to tell what to do with out seeing the final product. What's your buddy saying, is the GC trying to cheat you or is truly messed up?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,422

Your not getting paid no matter what you do. The GC has told you what kind of man he is - he does not care about your schedule, convenience or effort. He has decided that your getting screwed one way or the other and it sounds like probably in more ways than one. Lawyer up or walk away.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Pro

It isn't on the GC though, I can't talk the other guy into going to look at it. He has already written off for some reason.

I'm going to keep hounding him to set up a meeting, I guess that is all I can do at this point.

Advertisement