A Few Bad Jobs! - Business - Contractor Talk

A Few Bad Jobs!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

A Few Bad Jobs!

So I have a buddy that has been a small contractor for 10 years or so. The guy does really good work. He use to call me if he needed a hand and I would send over a few guys to lend it. He has primarily worked by himself, at most 2 guys as helpers.

Today I stopped and saw him cause its been awhile. Said he want to get out of the buisness because of 2 customers.

One is suing him for a leaky roof, and the other he just left in bad terms. I really dont know the detail on either job, but like I said before the guys does really great work and he said neither was his fault.

So out of probely 200 jobs in the last 10 years hes got 2 unhappy customers, really not the worse stats.

Said he feels uncomfortable when he sees either of them in a store or anywhere for that matter (we live in a small community)

I tried to explain to him that this is just part of being in buisness, And that I myself have a few unhappies over the years. I always try to do everything i can to make them happy, but with some people there is no pleasing them.

I hate to see this guy give up. he very talented and he makes a good living. Is there any advise I can give to him?

Any help would be great

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: A Few Bad Jobs!

I think you just said it. 2 out of 200 is pretty good. I'd tell him to forget the two bad ones and keep on truckin'. Just think of all the future customers that will not get his quality workmanship if he quits.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-12-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,720

If he contracted the roof, its his responsibility. I don't know the other circumstances, so can't say much.

In my opinion, if he does great work, he should make it through this. Some people you just can't make happy. He should make the roof right though.

Last edited by Jaws; 02-11-2012 at 11:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
greg24k (02-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: renovations and repairs
Rewards Points: 250

The fact that it bothers him so much, makes him sound like guy who does good work-I agree 2 in ten years is pretty good.

If he didn't give a s#it about unhappy customers, then he probably should pack it up. Hard to say much more than that though, not knowing the circumstances behind the unhappy customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to BC Carpenter For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

Only thing i know about the roof job is this. he did the roof, it leaked he went back and redid the entire roof out of his own pocket. come to find out it was a moister problem, the roof was not breathing correctly. it was a log cabin and didnt have any vents, or an attic. I believe from going by what he said he did everything he could to fix the problem.

I have seen him roof, he knows what he doing.

I just feel bad for him, i usally throw him a few smaller jobs every year and his craftsmanship is better then mine. So I just cant imagine him getting done. Out of all the carpenters that i have met im putting him in the top 3 for skill level. Smart guy and knows how to use his tools!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Carpenter View Post
The fact that it bothers him so much, makes him sound like guy who does good work-I agree 2 in ten years is pretty good.

If he didn't give a s#it about unhappy customers, then he probably should pack it up. Hard to say much more than that though, not knowing the circumstances behind the unhappy customers.
That it bothers him says it all....If he was ok with unsatisfied customers then there would be an issue. That said' I understand worrying over a customer who is not satisfied. I've spent many nights awake thinking of how I could please an unsatisfied customer.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 884

Tell him to hang in there. If he's worried about bad press...forget about it if he is as you say he is.

Some people are never satisfied and whine about everybody from the garbage man...to the grocery bagger....to "that man" across the street that never mows his lawn and has too many cats.

People (in general) are pretty smart and tend to dismiss, or at least discount the rants of a compulsive whiner after awhile.

A 99% rate of satisfied customers is pretty good, and that is the math you gave us.

He's all good.
plummen (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,464

What everyone else already said. But if at the end of the day he does decide to pack it up, make sure you hire him
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,420

Just like Jawtrs said, if he did a roof and its leaking, all he has to do is fix it and he will have a satisfied customer... same goes for the other job. Being a small community as you said, 2 unsatisfied customers can kill your business, therefor you you got 2 choices- make it good or get out... so that could be one of his choices. Look on the bright side, you will get his 198 customers
Old 02-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 100

Unless he is moving too, he will still be seeing them at the store.

If he is that burdened by the circumstances, he should ask for a face to face to explain to the customers that he is so uncomfortable with the chance meetings that they have that he is considering quitting the trade, and would like one last chance to work out the problems so that either way he can see them in the future without the pain it now brings him.

I would bet that the customers would be surprised at the burden he carries, and would change their stance knowing the drastic measures he is considering. And if they do not, then hopefully this last effort would be enough closure for your buddy to know he did his best.

www.BadcoDoors.com
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

those log cabins can bitethey are nothing like a ''regular'' house
Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjconstruction View Post
Only thing i know about the roof job is this. he did the roof, it leaked he went back and redid the entire roof out of his own pocket. come to find out it was a moister problem, the roof was not breathing correctly. it was a log cabin and didnt have any vents, or an attic.
And why is this his problem?
What the customer thinks is a "leak" is condensation dripping down.

Tell him don't quit for being right.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
jimmys (02-12-2012), TNTRenovate (02-16-2012), wellbuilt home (02-12-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #13

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Everyone runs into a bad customer here and there. Tell him to hang in there!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

I agree with Tim, if it's condensation, it's not his problem. He was hired to replace the roof.

I also agree that it's good that he cares that much, he just needs to back off a little and give himself a break. Heck, if you read my thread "Worst Job to Date", I had our church receptionist let me go before we completed a job. Out of the blue. Now I get to see her every Sunday at church. I was not looking forward to it, but thought, she it she the fool, not me.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #15

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakedpenaecc View Post
Everyone runs into a bad customer here and there. Tell him to hang in there!
I think he may be looking for a way to talk himself out of the trades.

Everyone get's customers from hell, part of the business.

I had a nasty biatch customer who was a local television reporter. I told my plumber to give her a 75% discount but NOT to tell her. I didn't want to piss her off. She had the nerve to post on Yelp that the work was good but she thought the pricing was high.

Can you imagine if we had charged her our standard rate?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Seasons View Post
I think he may be looking for a way to talk himself out of the trades.

Everyone get's customers from hell, part of the business.

I had a nasty biatch customer who was a local television reporter. I told my plumber to give her a 75% discount but NOT to tell her. I didn't want to piss her off. She had the nerve to post on Yelp that the work was good but she thought the pricing was high.

Can you imagine if we had charged her our standard rate?
I would have marked it up 75%; she's mad either way.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L

I would have marked it up 75%; she's mad either way.
Your yelp review would have been more interesting. I have been getting better at disqualifying those type of people. Why would you set up your plumber like that?

Advertisement