ExakTime - Business - Contractor Talk

ExakTime

Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

ExakTime

I just invested in exaktime for a job site time recording system. It's a pretty hefty investment but if guys are off just a half hour a day, it correlates into an extra 17k paid a year in labor charges.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,272

Re: ExakTime

Hate to say it, BUT, it is ONLY as good as your employees. I did work years ago for a company that had the same type thing, they were "job clock brand" I believe?
I was on time, never late, still at work 1/2 hour before the time needed, etc. BUT the other guys had a cooler in the corner, with the little key things in to do the daily punch in and out. One guy would do the punch in, and punch out! The other guys would buy him a case of brew on Friday!! How things work in mysterious ways! LOL

PS that is why, I NO longer work there!!

Just my 2 cents worth! Dave

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave in Pa For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (06-12-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

If your actually losing a half hour per day, per employee, you need new employees.

Easy Gibson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,100

Slick system and will save you time doing paper work, but as for saving money on correct hours the system is only as honest as the user.

What did it cost ya?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Pro

It cost enough.

Half hour a day isn't really that unfeasible. Let's say start time is 7 but one guy doesn't show up until 7:08. He figures no big deal, writes down 7am. Lunch starts at noon, they get back at 12:35. Day ends at 3:48 but they write down 4pm by the time they fill out the time sheet. That's 25 minutes. I'm sure guys try to be honest when filling out time sheets but who remembers exactly when they fill it out at the end of the day?

One hour incorrectly being recorded a day between all guys is over $550 in unnecessary labor a month between taxes, comp and the rest.

The unit was $1000.00
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
It cost enough.

Half hour a day isn't really that unfeasible. Let's say start time is 7 but one guy doesn't show up until 7:08. He figures no big deal, writes down 7am. Lunch starts at noon, they get back at 12:35. Day ends at 3:48 but they write down 4pm by the time they fill out the time sheet. That's 25 minutes. I'm sure guys try to be honest when filling out time sheets but who remembers exactly when they fill it out at the end of the day?

One hour incorrectly being recorded a day between all guys is over $550 in unnecessary labor a month between taxes, comp and the rest.

The unit was $1000.00
True, lemme know how it works out.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Good decision, BamBamm. I've had the ExakTime job clocks for years. It paid for itself very quickly - less time on the paperwork, an immediate stop to the casual cheating by the most honest of employees, and a concrete basis for nailing the outright thieves.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Pro

I hope it works out, I'll remember to update the thread to let everyone know of my experiences with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-11-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
Been around

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,606

I thought you were going the sub route?

If you want some accountability, the foreman's pay can be tied to production. More efficiency means a better pay check. Keeping the crew properly timed will directly affect the production numbers so it's in the foreman's interest not to allow time sheet sloppiness.

Roofing sucks. Try and be creative about keeping the employees motivated.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Pro

Subs blow.

The reason I purchased is for instances like this morning. The guys are standing talking to each other until 7:08 when they finally opened the trailer. 8 minutes is no big deal except there is 6 guys. That's now 48 minutes because I highly doubt when I get the time sheets they will say 7:08.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,272

Now, I do have a question for you? I know that 8 minutes adds up to 48 in this case, BUT on the other hand, are you willing and do pay when the work the extra 5 minutes + or - and only right up the back time? Example, they work till 4:05 and mark up 4 on the time sheet. Now what? I am thinking this might happen from time to time? And another thought, have you ever called your guys at home, while off the clock, and discussed a job with them?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #12

Trade: Drywall
Rewards Points: 4

FYI I was buying the keytabs for something like $10 a keytab. Found them on ebay for way cheaper. Haven't had any problems with them. http://www.ebay.com/usr/thecolorworkshop

hope that helps some of you
Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Utility, sitework, and erosion control contractor
Rewards Points: 178

I also use exact time. It is expensive but since we do a lot if orevailing wage work where my operators maybe making $60.00 per hour it doesn't take long to cover the cost of exact time.

All of my guys carry iPhones. So I purchased the exact time iPhone app. It will gps their position and it takes their pic when they punch in.

I say it is fair to them and fair to me. I used to work for another company before going on my own and the time the foreman out down never seemed to add up to what I was working.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Pa View Post
Now, I do have a question for you? I know that 8 minutes adds up to 48 in this case, BUT on the other hand, are you willing and do pay when the work the extra 5 minutes + or - and only right up the back time? Example, they work till 4:05 and mark up 4 on the time sheet. Now what? I am thinking this might happen from time to time? And another thought, have you ever called your guys at home, while off the clock, and discussed a job with them?

In this case, it's more fair all around. I pay according to their time sheets which is a pain since they are always different.

If they work until 4:05 they will now be paid until 4:05.

I don't call the guys to discuss a job in detail. I may call around 5 to confirm the house is water right but no long conversations.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
Subs blow.

The reason I purchased is for instances like this morning. The guys are standing talking to each other until 7:08 when they finally opened the trailer. 8 minutes is no big deal except there is 6 guys. That's now 48 minutes because I highly doubt when I get the time sheets they will say 7:08.
That is just bad management. The guys are there on time, it is up to whoever is in charge to get them working. Way past time to have a chat with the lead on the crew.

Easy Gibson
Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Concrete, General Contractor
Rewards Points: 44

We use exactime and it is amazing. I don't have problems with people cheating the system but I have problems with people remembering to punch in and out. I just always tell them if you want to get paid correctly then remember to punch in and out which works most of the time. The best thing is the amount of time I save doing payroll every Thursday night. Definitively a great investment.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 4,608

Interesting perspectives. We just got set up with similar system through payroll service and bank. We'll be starting it very soon. Pretty much the same system when compared. We got for us 1st to make payroll easier internally and 2nd was for the round up hrs. Our guys hr are all over the place and for some reason or other we've gotta ridiculous amount change orders and add ons with a lot of our jobs this year that only requires 1/man for cpl hrs here and there. It should really streamline things with adding minimal overhead.

Advertisement