Estimates On Phone As Part As Qualifying A Lead? - Business - Contractor Talk

Estimates On Phone As Part As Qualifying A Lead?

Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 420

Estimates On Phone As Part As Qualifying A Lead?

Do you provide a rough ballpark for leads you're qualifying first over the phone, prior to you setting up a consultation?

I've been doing this for leads that don't sound promising at all, and filters out a lot of them that way. Recently I started doing this for all leads while chatting with them on the phone. I fear this is making the lead buy just on price not benefits of our company. But I also feel this is reducing so much driving around. FWIW, we primarily sell decks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,950

Re: Estimates On Phone As Part As Qualifying A Lead?

Some if my best jobs started as small repairs and turned into full remodels once we met in person. One went from two pieces of cut glass to a full house remodel within 30 minutes of meeting

I meet nearly all my leads in person. The only ones I don't are when it is painfully obvious they are just trolling for prices.

Being specialized may be a bit different, but you still never know for sure until you meet people.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Bull Trout (03-26-2019), cedarboarder (03-31-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low voltage
Rewards Points: 672

I own and run a one man operation handyman business and to weed out those small jobs ai made my minimum price for ANY job $149.00. I will give estimates over phone and email as much as I can. Onsite estimates are a big time sink. I usually only do onsite estimates on larger remodel or high profit jobs. I am going to charge for onsite estimates here soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Hoardings
Rewards Points: 102

Tricky one - but I'd generally argue that transparency is better, and it can sort the wheat from the chaff. We offer a free ballpark price calculator to use on our site (don't worry, not plugging, won't link haha), as we don't really want a flood of enquiries for jobs that are too small in budget. Obviously that all depends on your specific role and business, but if someone has a budget cap and you're out of their price range, isn't it better for you if they can make the decision to look elsewhere early on?

This doesn't need to affect your sales strategies though - I agree that the focus should be on quality not cost, so don't stop justifying a higher price point! It comes down to saving everyone's time really, you want to be able to sell well to those who *could* afford your pricing, but not waste valuable time on clients who simply can't.
The Following User Says Thank You to James Hale For This Useful Post:
pathbuilder (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,802

I don't price at all over the phone. If a job doesn't sound like it isn't for us then I tell them there and then, otherwise I take the time to look it over.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 972

I want to meet face to face, see there place and what I'm getting into before we get very far at all. A quick visit will usually tell you what you they can afford, what they care about, etc., and if we're not going to be a very good fit.

Ballpark prices are a great way to get started. Bounce some budget numbers off them beforehand to see how serious they are. Once we decide they are qualified and are a client we want to pursue, I usually tell them I will give them a budget that will be +/- 20% accurate along with a conceptual drawing. If they like what they see, at that point I expect some financial commitment which is usually a design agreement which allows us to detail out the job, do better drawings, get firm sub and supplier quotes and firm up the estimate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Justin Rhoades (04-09-2019), pathbuilder (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchforSignal View Post
Onsite estimates are a big time sink. I usually only do onsite estimates on larger remodel or high profit jobs. I am going to charge for onsite estimates here soon.

+1

I have been following contractor fight club on youtube and he is a big advocate of this, and to be honest it makes sense to me

Iím done with driving around going from estimate to estimate Only to get the ďwell let us think about itĒ as they price shop other contractors

But as a mason Most of my work is chimney repairs, window openings etc. etc. so I can have a customer take a couple pictures, send them to me and i can get a pretty good idea of the work involved.

If they are OK with my estimate then I donít mind meeting them face-to-face but otherwise they can tire kick my ballpark price with out me wasting 4 hours of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
pathbuilder (03-28-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchforSignal View Post
I own and run a one man operation handyman business and to weed out those small jobs ai made my minimum price for ANY job $149.00. I will give estimates over phone and email as much as I can. Onsite estimates are a big time sink. I usually only do onsite estimates on larger remodel or high profit jobs. I am going to charge for onsite estimates here soon.

For a few years, I've been charging for quotes. This year, I've started charging for Estimates also. No one has even questioned the cost. They know it's coming, before we meet in person. I figure if someone isn't willing to spend $50 for an estimate, they aren't really serious.

As a side note, I'm the only one, in my area that charges for estimates. As far as I know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (03-29-2019), SummitElectric1 (04-03-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
+1

But as a mason Most of my work is chimney repairs, window openings etc. etc. so I can have a customer take a couple pictures, send them to me and i can get a pretty good idea of the work involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like you, I can figure most prices, pretty close, with a description. Pictures are a plus. I've done it enough to have a good idea of what it will take.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
For a few years, I've been charging for quotes. This year, I've started charging for Estimates also. No one has even questioned the cost. They know it's coming, before we meet in person. I figure if someone isn't willing to spend $50 for an estimate, they aren't really serious.

As a side note, I'm the only one, in my area that charges for estimates. As far as I know.
What line of work are you in? How do collect payment, cash or check in person when you get there?

I want to start doing this, but no one in my area does it, so the fact you do is intriguing and promising. I can just hear it now, "wait, you charge to come out to give me a price for a new deck? No thank you then, Company ABC doesn't charge me!"

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2019, 04:39 AM   #11
test

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Some if my best jobs started as small repairs and turned into full remodels once we met in person. One went from two pieces of cut glass to a full house remodel within 30 minutes of meeting

I meet nearly all my leads in person. The only ones I don't are when it is painfully obvious they are just trolling for prices.

Being specialized may be a bit different, but you still never know for sure until you meet people.

I noticed the more of a hurry some one is for a price the less serious they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to cedarboarder For This Useful Post:
pathbuilder (03-31-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 12

Had a guy keep asking for a ballpark price on installing two doors. Told him I don’t do that I’m 10 minutes away I’ll come look at it. He persisted so I him $1,000 a door plus materials. Never heard from him again.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,926

Iíve been asking budget on the phone lately. Itís crazy for quote right now for decks and fences and a lot of people think they can get a deck for $2000 so I always ask about size and then tell them a rough number before going to look. Keeps me from quoting 2-3 jobs a week that I have no chance of getting.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
test

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 874

that's a really small deck. haha

Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
that's a really small deck. haha

I think itís called a stoop

Advertisement

cedarboarder (05-09-2019)