Doing Business In The Eastern States - NY, VT, Etc. - Business - Contractor Talk

Doing Business In The Eastern States - NY, VT, Etc.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 90

Doing Business In The Eastern States - NY, VT, Etc.

Hi all. I'm a general contractor in California. A little over a year in business, and over 20 years in the trade - remodel finish carpentry mainly but experienced all over.

Strongly considering moving out of the insanity of California for a variety of reasons, and recent life changes have made such a move somewhat plausible, within the next 2-3 years.

I have traveled through all the New England states and like it there a lot! Have always felt a connection to that part of the country. I'm currently looking at Vermont (specifically Brattleboro and surrounding area) as well as upstate New York (Binghamton area).

Hoping to get some insight into what it's like running a contracting business in this part of the country. Topics can include the following but open to anything else:

license requirements (It's my understanding that Vermont does not require a license of general building contractors), and that it is deferred to localities in the case of NY.

What is it like during snow? And how slow do things get during winters?

Wages vs. general cost of living?

Overall quality of life?

Thanks for any input!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,706

Re: Doing Business In The Eastern States - NY, VT, Etc.

I have been to Brattleboro a couple years ago, unless its changed I would pick a better place that. Median home price is $250k, it did not look to me that many people kept up their homes and as they saying goes did the truck die on the front lawn and they built a house next to it or is that a lawn ornament ? The weird thing that I saw was the amount of people doing drugs right on the street, no one says a word.

There are much better places in VT to have a construction business but thats just my opinion from visiting and having customers who have homes there.

Read some of the reviews, either you will fit right in coming from Cali or you will hate it

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...am-vt/reviews/

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
I have been to Brattleboro a couple years ago, unless its changed I would pick a better place that. Median home price is $250k, it did not look to me that many people kept up their homes and as they saying goes did the truck die on the front lawn and they built a house next to it or is that a lawn ornament ? The weird thing that I saw was the amount of people doing drugs right on the street, no one says a word.

There are much better places in VT to have a construction business but thats just my opinion from visiting and having customers who have homes there.

Read some of the reviews, either you will fit right in coming from Cali or you will hate it

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...am-vt/reviews/
Thanks! Surprised to hear about drug problems there. But it can't be anything close to where I live in Cali. Any suggestions about other towns in Vermont?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,331

There is no licencing or building inspections in Vermont outside of a couple of cities.

Most of the money in Vermont is in the greater Burlington area and in the ski towns.

You can make a decent living working for second homeowners in the ski towns if you can tap into that market.

I would rate the quality of life as good and the cost of living as high.

Working in the winter can be done but productivity will drop substantially.

Binghamton is a depressed area and I don't see any hope of it changing so not a lot of money there. My father-in-law lives there. He's currently trying to sell his house and leave but that's due to his age and not anything specific about Binghamton. New York is generally considered to be an expensive state to live in.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 2,041

Where in Cali do you live?