Do Your Subs Check In With You In The Morning? - Business - Contractor Talk

Do Your Subs Check In With You In The Morning?

Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 420

Do Your Subs Check In With You In The Morning?

For those that have subs that work on a job site you're not at everyday, do you have them check in/text you/something each morning when they arrive?

If not, how do you know they're at work?

I ask for photos at the end of the day, and feel an every-morning text to me when they arrive is micro-managing. But there are days where I hear from them at noon that they couldn't make it. I do ask that if they can't make it to work that day they text me by 9am.

But rven if they're your best subs that always show to work, there are times where things happen and they don't tell you until Iater. A text by 9am whether they're at work, on their way, or can't come in.... some type of text to you by 9am would be, theoretically, great. Right?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,524

Re: Do Your Subs Check In With You In The Morning?

noop

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 22,656

It's not really a check in as much as its questions and communications. But I wouldn't retain my subs very long if I ruled with an iron fist. Not to mention I still like to golf with them.

Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
It's not really a check in as much as its questions and communications. But I wouldn't retain my subs very long if I ruled with an iron fist. Not to mention I still like to golf with them.

Mike.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 22,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathbuilder View Post
Do you call them all each morning? Or let them call you only if they need?

No I don't call them without a reason. IOW just to call them to check in.

Mike.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,566

I work for one builder and he never checks up on me. but he also know I will be there unless a problem comes up that I need to leave for a few days, I communicate that to him though.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,659

I wouldn't bother a good sub with that sort of thing unless I was depending on him to be my "presence" for a day or three. As long as the client has the perception (real) that someone's on-site and work is getting done, there's little harm in allowing for flex in the schedule--as long as hitting the next stage isn't crucially dependent on timely execution of his work.

If either caveat is true, then of course we need to be communicating.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,720

Depends on job-site type, whether sub is new or established, and potential interaction with customers...

But in large part... only on as needed basis...
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,664

As a general contractor I don't ask my subs to check in with me. As a subcontractor I only call if there's a problem. I have a tendency to send a picture at the end of the day so they can see that progress is being made.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,722

A supervisor is at each job everyday for a good portion of the day, and all sites have an employee on it or one of us goes by first thing in the am, and we make sure all jobs are shut down properly at days end, new custom or renovation (very rare, like once a year, that it's occupied) so it's a moot point.

We don't take on projects we can't supervise properly. Have in the past, cluster. We believe in closely supervised construction

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
KAP (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Drywall/carpentry
Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
A supervisor is at each job everyday for a good portion of the day, and all sites have an employee on it or one of us goes by first thing in the am, and we make sure all jobs are shut down properly at days end, new custom or renovation (very rare, like once a year, that it's occupied) so it's a moot point.

We don't take on projects we can't supervise properly. Have in the past, cluster. We believe in closely supervised construction

This
Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #12
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 434

daily check in is mandatory for several reasons.

commercial or residential.

one big reason is to track the schedule another is to head off any problems/issues that arise.

safety & security

who is on the job

with what equip etc

doing what
Jaws (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #13
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 6,722

The way we operate now my brother is in charge of everybody, he is the project manager. In-house carpenters and Painters work for him, and two job site superintendent. Our superintendents aremnt what I consider a true superintendent yet, when I was a superintendent I did all my own scheduling and basically got a set of plans and built whatever I was told to build.

My brother schedules everything, and he is a full partner in the company at this point. He has full authority over everyone and everything. He does critical path scheduling for each job and works with the superintendent's on getting everybody scheduled excetera and the superintendent's usually have two projects a piece that they are they're on the projects and ensuring what we told them to do is being done to our standards.

He does not have to write scopes of work, estimate jobs or anything like that. He's just dealing with production. Works very well

We don't simply let say a roofer try and then start installing panels. All dry in and flashing will be inspected by one of our people, and then they can begin Roofing. Obviously if you're not there on the site this will cause a hold up for the sub. Same thing for showers and underlayment like ditra on the floors Etc. We want to make sure that stuff is being done to our standards. Never had a roof leak, never had a window leak, never had a structural issue ever on a inspection, have never had a foundation issue or anything like that.

For a little while we were running more projects and I was actually the guy doing all of that and my brother usually did with the superintendent's are doing now. It was a ****show we had 10 projects going. I work 15 hours a day then didn't make as much money as I do now. Jobs took too long to Susan's couldn't get made, scheduling got dirty excetera. While I was selling and estimating etc...

Especially at the end of the job someone will be there all day. My dad is actually sitting in our parade house and its final month 10 hours a day. This will take weeks off of completion. No one has to wait for an answer on anything, scheduling is a non-issue, etcetera.

Advertisement

John

Last edited by Jaws; 05-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.