Did He Quit? - Business - Contractor Talk

Did He Quit?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Did He Quit?

Well I've got this fellow who's been working "with" me for about a year now. Technically he's a sub-contractor.

From time to time he acts like a twelve year old. He's not a carpenter, maybe first year apprentice level.

So today he gets upset about a small thing realy, and tonight he called a fellow employee to tell me he's not coming in tomorrow.

So now I'm a man short on site, and he can't call me himself? He's not answering his phone, and I'm getting more pixxed off by the minute.

So would you consider this as him quitting, or should I just tell him "guess what, I can get 10 guys who would love this job" Trust me, he's well paid.

Some people never grow up, and I'm actually tired of dealing with it.

Your advice please. Thanks, John

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,434

Re: Did He Quit?

If you're fed up with him, and he doesn't shop up, consider him history.

If he shows up, tell him he's been replaced and that he needs to leave.

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,056

Don't assume he has quit until you hear it from him. Preferably get it in writing. Now if you want to fire him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 888

If he didn't tell you directly, it's hearsay.

Sounds like a guy "looking to get fired" for the unemployment benefits to me.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Good points from all, thanks.

I suppose in a general sense, I'm tired of the unproffesionalism from him. As we all know, good help is hard to find.

Fact is, I could replace him with someone better right now. If he doesn't take his job seriously, why should I be worried about him? Being a softy here I think, and have learned that will hurt me one way or another.

No UI for him, he's a sub.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I'll have my answer tomorrow, one way or the other. And my perspective will be clearer in the morning.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Extraordinary Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,728

Move on
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Fire Alarm Systems, Fire Extinguishing Systems.
Rewards Points: 360

Quote:
Technically he's a sub-contractor.
Care to clarify? What does your subcontract agreement says? You two have a written agreement, right?

Quote:
And my perspective will be clearer in the morning.
Actually, the government will be happy to clarify it for you both , when he (hopefully) goes to make his EI claim.

Mark
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #8

Trade: licensed organizer
Rewards Points: 75

Not sure how it is in other states but here the person has to not show up for 3 work days and have 3 write ups from 2 people in management or owner and management. after that it is an automatic quit. but here even if you quit he can still get UI here just has to wait a penalty period
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post

I suppose in a general sense, I'm tired of the unproffesionalism from him. As we all know, good help is hard to find.

Fact is, I could replace him with someone better right now. If he doesn't take his job seriously, why should I be worried about him? Being a softy here I think, and have learned that will hurt me one way or another.

Sorry for the rant, I'm sure I'll have my answer tomorrow, one way or the other. And my perspective will be clearer in the morning.
No E.I. if you're fired, either.

I say be gone with him.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

I'm with Mark on this one.

It sounds like you are an illegal employer. From your description, he's an employee but you call him a sub. I assume this is because you aren't withholding taxes nor are you paying the required employment taxes.

If this is the case, he has you over the barrel. He can apply for UI, they will come after you for unpaid taxes and probably fine you. They will check your books for the past 10 years or so, make a bunch of assumptions about how much you have cheated, add in a bunch of penalties and interest, then give you a bill of far more than you can pay.

If you really are calling your employees subs, they know you're a cheater, a scofflaw, and a crook. You've given them the ammunition they can use to screw you.
The Following User Says Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (05-28-2010)
Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
From your description, he's an employee but you call him a sub. I assume this is because you aren't withholding taxes nor are you paying the required employment taxes.

If this is the case, he has you over the barrel. He can apply for UI, they will come after you for unpaid taxes and probably fine you. They will check your books for the past 10 years or so, make a bunch of assumptions about how much you have cheated, add in a bunch of penalties and interest, then give you a bill of far more than you can pay.
Thom makes the same assumption I did above. The IRS has a series of questions that help determine "employee vs: subcontractor"

You need to handle this situation carefully.

It would be in your best interest to check with your CPA or attorney about the status that might be awarded this person.

I'm sure someone here can find a link to those series of questions. Maybe this will clarify this a little better.

Be careful with this.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #12
Utah carpenter

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

In this market there are ten people waiting to take his job. If he is that much trouble let him go.

Utah stair builder
Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #13

Trade: Insulation
Rewards Points: 75

I've had a number of requests by employees to work as "sub-contractors", my answer to the question will always be no. Not only will you eventually run into problems with the CRA, but if he is ever hurt on the job WorkSafe will review his case, and determine he was an employee who you didn't have insurance for.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

None of my sub contractors report to me on an hourly/daily basis.I call them,they look at the job,tell me when it will be done and how much and then they do it.
Someone that works for you 8-4 M-F is not a sub.No way,no how....Period.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 AM   #15
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post

I think you've already got your answer right here. You'll both more than likely see things differently tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 250

Down here (at least 10 years ago so it may have changed) 3 days with no show and no word is "job abandonment" So let him sulk for three days then report it to your labor board as whatever version you guys have of job abandonment. No unemployment for you sucker if he was an employee and breach of contract if he was a sub for you.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJack View Post
None of my sub contractors report to me on an hourly/daily basis.I call them,they look at the job,tell me when it will be done and how much and then they do it.
Someone that works for you 8-4 M-F is not a sub.No way,no how....Period.
Actually, I worked as a sub (technically Sub-Sub) for a couple months last year. I was paid piecework for putting on hardie.

He can be a sub, but you must pay his WC. He's required to pay his own taxes. I was required to register for HST after 30k in a year, and had to charge charge it when I put in for my pay.

I got so screwed on that job though. I didn't know that the GC had to pay my WC. He charged it to us. And kept the 10% holdback from the job. He owes me a little money now, And owes my friend (who was a foreman on his job and worked for him for longer) thousands. We go to court june 10th.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #18
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

you can call them a sub as long as they have their own business and pay their taxes on their own. but you are usually stuck paying their WC. as long as they don't work for you all year, i forget the number of days/weeks is considered an employee. I don't like doing that but i see why guys do it. usually the person getting paid like a sub can hide his income and cheat. while you have to be legit.

fire this guy. get someone else and hire him for real. IRS is really cracking down and it will continue to get worse for people paying employees as subs.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

the sub vs employee thing is a fine line. If your not familer with all the laws you need to get educated on the mannor. I myself have employees and I have subs. My employees work everyday 7-3:30. subs work on a needed basis per job. I have a plumber, electrician that I tend to use all the time. They give me a price and timeline for completion. I also have 1 carpenter that is a sub that does projects for me from time to time. I dont pay him by the hour and dont tell him what hours to work. Just give him job scope. when its done i check the job and pay him the qouted price. this guy is good and works fast and for a great price. He works for 4 or 5 different contractors threwout the year.

Just saying be careful.....
Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #20
Structural Engineer

Trade: Mechanical, Structural
Rewards Points: 500

My 2 cents:

We have a blurb in our employee manual that if you don't show up for 2 days in a row, it's considered job abandonment and you're done. Also, if you're a no show without a call, it's strike one. Do it again and you could be fired. When it does happen, send a termination notice (letter) out to him to close the loop.

If this was a true sub, and I didn't want to deal with him anymore, I'd mail him a letter saying his time with your company was over, and to call to discuss the total owed to date and how to get the check to him.

In my opinion, move on without him, but send a letter to close the loop.

Advertisement