Design And Build Partnership Opportunity - Business - Contractor Talk

Design And Build Partnership Opportunity

Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Trade: General

Design And Build Partnership Opportunity

Hey guys new to the forum, I have a new architect who I’ve been working with recently. I’m a General contractor and have a small crew 4 guys, I’ve built a few home and done tons of higher end renovations.

The architect who is also a friend want to be a design and build firm but want to use my more as a subcontractor with a 5% kick back of the job. My thoughts on the initial offer are no way but it seems to be a large trend of customer preferring the design and build over just a GC.

Unfortunately he doesn’t understand how to be a good GC, hiring the cheapest subs, not loyal to the good ones, timelines off, doesn’t understand the building products being used and costs, doesn’t understand the insurance costs, etc. He needs someone with my experience to make it work but seem he doesn’t understand the value.

My main question is how are these type of partnerships usually structured? Should it be more of a 50/50 or should the build end be weighted in my favor? Would assume he is making a good profit on the plans.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 942

Re: Design And Build Partnership Opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideman87 View Post
Unfortunately he doesn’t understand how to be a good GC, hiring the cheapest subs, not loyal to the good ones, timelines off, doesn’t understand the building products being used and costs, doesn’t understand the insurance costs, etc. He needs someone with my experience to make it work but seem he doesn’t understand the value.
Somebody has to take the leadership role and it doesn't sound like this architect is the guy to do it.

Personally, as the builder I prefer to take the leadership role, be the one meeting with clients, manage the budget & schedule, hire the designer, hire and pay the subs, self perform what trades we want, etc.

Seems a lot of architects have sort of a "smarter than thou" attitude and can't accept working for the builder, listening to the advice of others, etc. Steer clear of those guys.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Jaws (07-14-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #3

Trade: Paving
Rewards Points: 2

A new Architect is not an experienced business owner. He needs to get a good track record as an Architect and then consider expanding into being a general contractor. The nature of a fututre partnership is premature. Besides an architect can be financially lucrative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 92

Sounds like an iffy business partner to me. I'm not sure we'd be able to tell you the way to structure it without knowing who is bringing what to the table. For example, who is bringing in the client/jobs?
The Following User Says Thank You to SevenHills For This Useful Post:
Rio (07-06-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #5

Trade: City worker
Rewards Points: 32

Design Build, IPD type projects are definitely the way the industry is heading but what he is offering is terrible for you. How can you expect him to design something you can make money on if doesn’t understand building methods or schedules?

If for some reason you need a partner, you want to be the majority owner or at least 50/50. You also better make sure your construction and design philosophies are 100% aligned or it will a very short lived venture.

Is there enough work in your area that can have both of you busy on the same projects at all times? If not what happens when you take on a job that has an Architect attached to it already, or vice versa?

I definitely believe that if both G.C. and Architects want to stay competitive it will be important to be able to deliver any project method the client wants in-house.

If you are a small sized company and you are looking to partner, both of you should be able to understand and design the project, estimate, manage trades, make schedules, interact with clients etc.

Partners are almost always way more expensive than employees, so the person better have something you really need.

Last edited by MeanWeen; 07-10-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

As the typical % a designer gets is in the 6% of gross range, a 5% "kickback" would almost double that share...

I don't think Leonardo Da Vinci got 11 % of the gross on ANYTHING...

Oh, and there is the going to Federal pen thing for bid rigging/ RICO Act..... Martha Stewart spent Six Months in CLub fed for LOSING over 500,000.00$ on insider trading, (actually lying to the FBI about it)

Good thing for the next several years your potential customers and the various authorities can see your immoral business ethics posted here online....

Love to see the General accepted accounting procedure for "Kickbacks"

Don't forget to file all the correct 1099sW-2s to avoid added time and penalties for failure to report income .....

Remember to set aside funds for fines, lawyers, bail bonds, and commissary money while doing time.

P.S. millions of quality buildings are designed and built with out any use of "professional" designers, Good luck making money paying double....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 07-11-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 6,034

I go the other way - architect works for me, my name's on all plans.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
Old 07-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
Somebody has to take the leadership role and it doesn't sound like this architect is the guy to do it.

Personally, as the builder I prefer to take the leadership role, be the one meeting with clients, manage the budget & schedule, hire the designer, hire and pay the subs, self perform what trades we want, etc.

Seems a lot of architects have sort of a "smarter than thou" attitude and can't accept working for the builder, listening to the advice of others, etc. Steer clear of those guys.
100%

John
Old 07-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,396

Let's put it this way... you've just begun recently working with him, he's at 5% and you're at 50/50... and you haven't even BEGUN the myriad of intricate details involved in a partnership, never mind competing personal and business interests...

Not the best idea...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
FLsun (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Let's put it this way... you've just begun recently working with him, he's at 5% and you're at 50/50... and you haven't even BEGUN the myriad of intricate details involved in a partnership, never mind competing personal and business interests...

Not the best idea...
Even worse, you got it wrong. Reread. The architect offered him 5% on top. LOL. Unless I'm mistaken

John
Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Even worse, you got it wrong. Reread. The architect offered him 5% on top. LOL. Unless I'm mistaken

Nope... maybe you misread... the archi values his contribution in the form of a 5% kickback... he's thinking more 50/50...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideman87 View Post
...but want to use my more as a subcontractor with a 5% kick back of the job.

Should it be more of a 50/50 or should the build end be weighted in my favor? Would assume he is making a good profit on the plans.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
The Sheriff

Quote:
Nope... maybe you misread... the archi values his contribution in the form of a 5% kickback... he's thinking more 50/50...
" he wants to use more in the form of a subcontractor with a 5% kickback"

He wants to pay the op 5% above his sub contract is how I read it

The op thinks 50/50

John
Old 07-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
" he wants to use more in the form of a subcontractor with a 5% kickback"

He wants to pay the op 5% above his sub contract is how I read it

The op thinks 50/50

Right... like I said...
Quote:
Let's put it this way... you've just begun recently working with him, he's at 5% and you're at 50/50...
Old 07-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
The Sheriff

Quote:
Right... like I said...

Ah, we're on the same page then. I thought you were saying he was giving the architect 5%. Which would still be too high above design fees in my opinion

John
Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

Where does the 5 or whatever % get added to the total?

Under the GC ~cost +15% OH and profit so the designer gets six percent of total Of: ~=106% x 105% x 115% of GCs cost OR

Cut out of the GCs overhead and profit ? 15%-6%? Thus ~128% owner cost...

Total owner costs: = 106% x 115% x GC net costs. thus ~122 % mark up..

Traditional operations will Eat you up long run, IMHO

Unless the designer brings a lot of "sizzle" or lowers total costs instead raising them as most designers do.............
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #16
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Where does the 5 or whatever % get added to the total?

Under the GC ~cost +15% OH and profit so the designer gets six percent of total Of: ~=106% x 105% x 115% of GCs cost OR

Cut out of the GCs overhead and profit ? 15%-6%? Thus ~128% owner cost...

Total owner costs: = 106% x 115% x GC net costs. thus ~122 % mark up..

Traditional operations will Eat you up long run, IMHO

Unless the designer brings a lot of "sizzle" or lowers total costs instead raising them as most designers do.............
Better be a nice sized project for 15%. + supervision and marked up in house labor

Advertisement

John