Customer Never Happy Keeps Holding Payment. Please Help :( - Business - Contractor Talk

Customer Never Happy Keeps Holding Payment. Please Help :(

Old 06-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Trade: Construction Services
Rewards Points: 152

Customer Never Happy Keeps Holding Payment. Please Help :(

Hi all. I built a deck for a customer a couple weeks back with a fence going across the front and a gate. I had a contract although it was extremely simple it stated that I was installing a deck with pressure treated frame and decking, the cost, and the payment structure. I am licensed and insured in my state as a contractor (though still new at being on my own). The payment structure was 60% up front due to materials and 40% upon completion. The project was completed a couple weeks ago. She wasn't happy with the gate so I took it down and rebuilt it then asked for my payment. She continued to make minor complaints (literally the paint on a screw chipped off) and I entertained her and took care of all these things. Now its time for payment once again and she claims she is getting moisture in her storage closet. Simply put I don't see how the deck could cause it the joists run with a pitch sloping away from the house and the joists run level across. Also there is an overhang above the closet I just don't see how it could happen. This lady has been so negative, rude, obnoxious, and everything else you can think of from the start. I am at the point I don't want to talk or see her again. How do I go about getting my money? She said she's waiting on another opinion and still isn't happy with the way the gate looks. The payment wasn't contingent on someone else's opinion so I think she's doing something illegal there and the gate is perfectly fine. Every neighbor and person who saw the project besides her have given me plenty of compliments so i have the confidence to call it complete.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 3,005

Re: Customer Never Happy Keeps Holding Payment. Please Help :(

Lien her property and be on your way. Or have a lawyer write something up for you to send to her.

Keep sending her invoices, keep track of them and send them by registered mail. If you have a clause in there for interest/penalties then add them in. If you don't put it into your next contract. The school of hard knocks teaches it's lessons well.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (06-03-2014), AmeliaP (06-03-2014), mikeswoods (06-03-2014), Rio (06-03-2014), rselectric1 (06-03-2014), TimNJ (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Good advice above.If you don't have a legal and binding contract for the scope of the work you don't have shtz.More people are like that than you think.Everything is always good until it comes time to write the check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,624

Quote:
The payment structure was 60% up front due to materials and 40% upon completion.
I'm in PA too. I would tell her to get you three WRITTEN opinions from local registered contractors by the end of the month or you are going to start court - lien - whatever proceedings.

In the future - do not leave that much hanging on the end. I leave MAYBE $200 payable upon completion with new customers. You can go with the state regs on down payment and it's all your call on every payment after that.

In 11 years we have only had maybe 2-3 people complain about the small token last payment.
greg24k (06-03-2014), Quad Racer (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,066

Tell her everything she wants you to do is warranty work. And she doesn't get the warranty until she pays for the work performed.
66 Shelby (06-03-2014), AmeliaP (06-04-2014), Unger.const (05-30-2016)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #6

I think I am going to have to go the lawyer route. Other contractors opinions aren't really all that important to me. There was no contingency in the contract about other opinions and it's a small deck barely above grade so no permit was required therefore I can't say I'm out of code. Beyond that the deck was built correct. Beams have a pitch away from the house the joists are level across. The deck is below the brick shelf of the storage closet she's complaining about and even lower from the sliding glass doors to the house.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmopar59 View Post
..... Other contractors opinions aren't really all that important to me. There was no contingency in the contract about other opinions........
So why did you bother asking?
Rio (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #8

I'm sorry that came out wrong haha. I meant to amilia saying to have her get written opinions from other contractors about the deck. The opinions on how to handle the situation from other contractors is greatly appreciated
Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmopar59 View Post
I'm sorry that came out wrong haha. I meant to amilia saying to have her get written opinions from other contractors about the deck. The opinions on how to handle the situation from other contractors is greatly appreciated
She mentioned that she's from PA as you are and it's very likely she's giving you good advice that is specific to that state.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
I'm The BOSS

Trade: builder / remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,733

#1 ask for a written list of deficiencies
#2 go over each one onsite.
#3 if they're your fault fix it.
#4 if not your fault, try to fix it
#5 collect payment or send letter of INTENT TO LEIN
(found here in file sharing section

for future work, have a better contract.
not sure why no permit ? how much was the job?
Facebook
Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Take as many pictures as possible too. Once other contractors get involved you have make sure everything was documented before they mess with it. I have seen contractors go in and purposely mess with the job.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #12

No permit because the deck isn't 20" above grade. Contract could've definitely been better. I've been back and forth with the "problems" 4 or 5 times already hence the frustration. I can't continue to go back and forth just because she doesn't wanna pay. It cost me money and time and enough is enough. I was going to contact a lawyer tomorrow. Like I mentioned I dont even wanna deal with her any more. She's been nothing but a hassle and has been holding may payment making me dance like a puppet on a string.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
I'm The BOSS

try the intent to lien letter

that's free , lawyers are not.
Facebook
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 60

Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
try the intent to lien letter

that's free , lawyers are not.
this might be my method. I am going to take action tomorrow. I am giving her the rest of the day to make a payment. I have done a lot of searching through this site as the problem was going on and this is where I stand. A lot of the posts I read regarding the issue said take care of the little crap its much easier than the legal route. However, I went back time and time again, like I said one time the paint on the screw was chipped and I replaced it no questions asked!!! At this point I just feel like whatever I fix shes going to make up her next excuse. I feel like she just simply doesn't want to pay. I never thought it would happen to me and what a great lesson its been to go through but man I wish i didn't have to!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: restoration/remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,272

I am not, nor will say much here! BUT take photo's lots of them, AND USE a cell phone, the time is there, date as well! A camera can be messed with, a cell phone photo, will and can be used in court!!

My wife works, in this type of field! LAWYERS!!

FYI if ya are involved in a auto accident, do the same! take the other peoples insurance card info, plate #, drivers ID, etc.

The insurance companies just hate it! LOL
Old 06-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

you should have collected the check right after you fixed the first issue......why do you keep fixing things and not getting paid?

i collect my money when the job is complete with homeowners.....if they have issues i come back and fix them.....i dont fix them without being paid first.....they have no warranty if they dont pay you....so why fix things anymore

lien the house

learn how the lien law works in your state.....

i just had a customer who threatened me back, saying if i lien her house she will trash me on the internet..

dont let someone steal from you...
Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 3,005

I don't think it's a warranty issue until they have paid you because they are satisfied with the product.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #19

Every "issue" she has brought up has been aesthetic. I have been bending over backwards to make her happy but trying to avoid the legal procedure. Now that she is claiming she gets moisture in her storage room she says shes going to get a second opinion but I told her the deck doesn't have anything to do with it since the deck is below the brick shelf and the threshold. The seals on the door could be bad and that isn't related to the deck and its just a little storage closet that hasn't been updated since the house has been built there's a million reasons it could be getting moisture. She always has a complaint and nothing is ever enough and she is gut wrenching to deal with. That's why I was going to get a lawyer or go the legal route. If you put a level near the beam you can see the pitch away from the house. as you move away from the edges it varies a bit due to the crowns all being pointed up (as you would building any structure) so she thinks she has a case against me. It's just the fact that lumber isn't perfect I don't see how she has any case and I've been there enough times with e mails texts and pictures to prove that I did my best to satisfy her but she's just always miserable and wants more.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
I'm The BOSS

garden hose ???????

Advertisement

Facebook