Customer Files - Business - Contractor Talk

Customer Files

Old 07-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Trade: roofing and siding
Rewards Points: 2

Customer Files

Good morning! I so glad to have found this community! I just started an office admin position at a roofing company. I have never work in this field before and will most likely looking for help often.
Right now I am in the process of standardizing our customer files. My question is, what should be included as a MUST Have in each file?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Re: Customer Files

Copies of the contract, and recision, contract addendums or change orders, any kind of materials or project spec sheets or checklists that you may require your customers to sign, driveway waivers if you use dumpsters and basically anything that has a company and customer signature on it.

As for anything else, that's up to what you want as a company. For example, we always have a copy of the work order that we give to the crews. It has a list of all materials sent to the job and the name of the installing crew. We also put a copy of the PO's on any materials.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 07-16-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsuarez View Post
Good morning! I so glad to have found this community! I just started an office admin position at a roofing company. I have never work in this field before and will most likely looking for help often.
Right now I am in the process of standardizing our customer files. My question is, what should be included as a MUST Have in each file?
What do you mean when you say you are 'standardizing' the files. There is a difference between customer records and their files. A doctor's office can have one file for each patient because most patients records fit in one file folder, but a contractor can have multiple files for each customer and one customers file for multiple jobs could contain several thousand pages. Then, you need a system to record the location of each file and the system has to work to give you the ability to easily locate each archived file.

Since one large jobs can contain a thousand pages it is not practical to try to put all the jobs you do for one customer in the same file folder. In fact, it is virtually impossible because as the years go by you have more files than will fit in most offices and you have to put records in archive boxes and put the boxes in a storage room. Then, you need to have a system that allows you to easily locate and retrieve your archived records.

In the link below there is a Customer List Database and a system that we use to archive and locate all the files (each job) for all your customers and especially for your customers you do multiple jobs for. There is a video that explains the software and the system.

Last edited by pcplumber; 07-17-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Customer Name, Address, phone number / email, jobsite, date. Work performed. Trackable expenses. If you were to pick up a basic work invoice booklet from Staples. You should be good.

Then, put that format on the your billing software.