At A Crossroads - Business - Contractor Talk

At A Crossroads

Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, decks, additions
Rewards Points: 13,994

At A Crossroads

Long post....

So, I have been doing some hard thinking the past couple of days..really sense I posted about coming up short on my designer roof project.

In response to this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post

I've also been considering seeing about getting a job I am not sure exists.

Some kind of middle management position where I could do some sales, some production managing, and be the one to actually do some of the more complex parts of some installs. All this without having to own the company and the stress associated with that.....that's a LOT to hope for in a job though.

Rob said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Create that position.

You can. I've seen you're operation and I'd buy in within a heartbeat if I knew you were taking on the complex side and letting monkeys do the other stuff. Then find out where you want to be and wean yourself off the other stuff you find you dont like.

Bro, you dont give yourself the credit you deserve. Your biggest problem seems to be you want to be all things to all people, that's a helluva a sales trait. You also are damn good at the physical side. Helluva an installer trait. You also have an intellectual property in how to install... that's priceless.

I cant tell you how to use them, but use them. I sucked at business so I just do woodworking and can make a living doing it. Once I realized I dont do anything else that well, I ipso facto became decent at business because people have set their expectations of me. You're a better hustler (not in a bad way) so it's probably a bit more difficult to figure out where you should be.

Just my .02 which is worth about a penny so take it for what it's worth.
Just so you know Rob that was worth far more than a penny my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
create that position
This really stood out to me.

It's time to be honest with myself. One person...myself included, can only do so much.

I had a great year overall. Amazing really, especially considering how it started off.

I had issues being paid timely for save a lot. That guy made his first couple payments, took off to Europe for 2 weeks till I was 100% complete with everything possible to be completed.

Then he drug his feet on the rest of the payments which were not agreed to in the first place until he was done adding penetrations and had chosen a metal color.

He drug around $55k out over 5 months. I just picked my final payment up today.

He would wait till he had the HVAC guys put units in then write me a check always being a partial payment This would happen every few weeks

I was struggling coming up with money to pay the help and all my bills for most of the year because of it. I never want to deal with that ever again.

(To be clear I knew I would be paid..... but clearly on his schedule or I'd have liened the property. I did come close, I seriously considered it. We did have a contract and I pulled the permit. However payment schedules is not the topic at hand.)

I also dont know how to hire and keep guys. Having to let my right hand go kills me. I genuinely enjoy working with him and he does decent work....not the best but he does care about what he does. He wont grow up though. Parties all weekend every weekend, slacks hard when he has to tear off or do something he doesnt want to do. I cant continue to waste time and money on him....I am probably 2 weeks behind that I can contribute directly to him the second half of the season.

Point is I'm kind of over being the owner...chasing money and people on top of the work is becoming too much. Something needs to change.

I called the district manager of my supplier, he owned a flat roof company for 29 years. He has been an amazing resource for me. I talked with him yesterday evening about this.

He listened to what I had to say and instantly said he had a couple companies in mind that he felt I would be a good fit with.

Well....I now have a meeting next Friday with one of these companies to discuss this. Lol

I am basically looking to do exactly what I do now, just not own the company

This is obviously not a one meeting decision. I'm thinking spring or summer next year.

Even if it is not this company that I am meeting with, somebody in this damn town has to need someone like me and be willing to pay me what I feel my value is.

I dont know what to do with my stuff though, I've spent near $50k on trucks, trailers, and equipment the past 2 years.

I absolutely will not sell any of my trucks...not even the 6.4, I'm gonna fix it here soon I think

Not sure to keep or sell the robot, roof cutter, and dump trailer if they would even be willing to buy it. It's all very well taken care of and bought new with under 500 sq of use, hell the cutter only has like 250sq on it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 11-06-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 7,390

Re: At A Crossroads

Said years ago youíd be worth some nice money working for someone. Why donít you want to sell anything ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
Shingler extraordinaire

Also accepting relocation offers. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Said years ago youíd be worth some nice money working for someone. Why donít you want to sell anything ?

I'm attached to the trucks.

The equipment I'd sell, but it's hardly used and I'll want hardly used money for it
Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 7,390

Quote:
I'm attached to the trucks.

The equipment I'd sell, but it's hardly used and I'll want hardly used money for it

Iím sure if itís hardly used youíll get nice coin for it. Take your time and wait for the right offer. Not worth much just sitting in your yard.

The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Iím sure if itís hardly used youíll get nice coin for it. Take your time and wait for the right offer. Not worth much just sitting in your yard.

I reckon that's right. Obviously I'm wanting to keep my enclosed trailer, compressors, generators, saws and nail guns. The flat roof stuff wouldn't get used for sure more than likley.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
Shingler extraordinaire

I've though about oil field work too. But that's quite a career change. It pays what I want to make though
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,028

Quote:
Point is I'm kind of over being the owner...chasing money and people on top of the work is becoming too much. Something needs to change.

I am basically looking to do exactly what I do now, just not own the company

Thoughts?
You've said it twice right there. Nothing wrong with getting a steady paycheck without all the stress. Who knows, you may want to start up your business again in the future or maybe go in a completely different direction.

My current lead had his own business for years and had enough. He has never been happier. I pay him well and he works from 7AM-3PM and then goes home to his family with a clear head. He still does some side work of his own on Saturdays.

I too am growing tired of all that is involved with being a GC. I just have not yet figured out what's next for me.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do

And if it were me, I would sell all the business assets with the exception of a daily driver and some tools you might use.

Last edited by NJ Contractor; 11-06-2019 at 08:26 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-06-2019), Lady Dreamer (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,621

Quote:
I've though about oil field work too. But that's quite a career change. It pays what I want to make though
DONíT! I started roughnecking in 04, lasted til 2010

itís boom or bust and a lot of time away from home. Anything oil and gas related is up and down like a roller coaster. You donít wanna live that life. I wouldnít wish it on my worst enemy. Money is not everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Point is I'm kind of over being the owner...chasing money and people on top of the work is becoming too much.
Frankly Andy, I've been awed by your for quite a while. Roofing is grueling just as a worker bee, not even counting being queen of the hive on top of that. Don't go down in flames.

As for the equipment, if you're seriously planning to go the employee route, dump it. Your employer should be furnishing that, and if he doesn't, unlikely he'll compensate you well enough for the use of your stuff to make it worth the overhead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (11-06-2019), tgeb (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #11
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Frankly Andy, I've been awed by your for quite a while. Roofing is grueling just as a worker bee, not even counting being queen of the hive on top of that. Don't go down in flames.

As for the equipment, if you're seriously planning to go the employee route, dump it. Your employer should be furnishing that, and if he doesn't, unlikely he'll compensate you well enough for the use of your stuff to make it worth the overhead.
I guess I'm just scared to sell it preemptively. I mean if things go south 4 months down the road then what am I supposed to do for the big ticket items you know what I mean?
Old 11-06-2019, 10:19 PM   #12
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 748

Quote:
I guess I'm just scared to sell it preemptively. I mean if things go south 4 months down the road then what am I supposed to do for the big ticket items you know what I mean?
This right here tells me you don't really want to give up what you are doing. Maybe you just need a break and a vacation? I have done that from time to time.

I usually don't work much during duck season. That's my time. Killing birds heals my soul.

Just tell people you are booked and can put them on the schedule (when vacation/break time ends) or just pass on it.

Sometimes we all just need to stop and enjoy life to reboot...
KAP (11-06-2019), Mordekyle (11-06-2019), TxElectrician (Yesterday)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 30

Oh, I totally get that. Not exactly apples to apples, but I'm still sitting on electronics gear I had when I shifted from that field into construction 15 years ago. Hung onto it just in case...

It was worth a chunk of change back then. Today, it's practically worthless.

At least I still have it to look at and remember the feeling of being on the cutting edge...
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Oh, I totally get that. Not exactly apples to apples, but I'm still sitting on electronics gear I had when I shifted from that field into construction 15 years ago. Hung onto it just in case...

It was worth a chunk of change back then. Today, it's practically worthless.

At least I still have it to look at and remember the feeling of being on the cutting edge...
I can relate, almost never has hanging onto sh!t paid off. Don't need it, return or sell it.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #15
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CScalf View Post
This right here tells me you don't really want to give up what you are doing. Maybe you just need a break and a vacation? I have done that from time to time.

I usually don't work much during duck season. That's my time. Killing birds heals my soul.

Just tell people you are booked and can put them on the schedule (when vacation/break time ends) or just pass on it.

Sometimes we all just need to stop and enjoy life to reboot...
I think I could do more with an established company than I can accomplish myself.

I just want to be secure with the change for a bit of time before I sell 20k~of must have equipment for 15k should things not work out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
CScalf (11-06-2019), onmywayup (Yesterday)
Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #16
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 458

Quote:
I think I could do more with an established company than I can accomplish myself.

I just want to be secure with the change for a bit of time before I sell 20k~of must have equipment for 15k should things not work out.

I've got a buddy who is a roofer. Went to work for a large commercial outfit that mainly does TPO. He totally changed the way the company does business by creating maintenance accounts. The company has a few service crews now and constant money is coming in monthly. Huge cash flows. They now pay him bank.

Mike.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 458

Commercial maintenance is a big deal.

Mike.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:05 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,058

Maybe just find a really legit company you can sub for. Just show up and shingle and go home.

Let them get the work and deal with the customers and materials. Having the big ticket gear should bring you more money.

Employee is great, unless you are like most of us and suck at being one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
A&E Exteriors (Yesterday)
Old 11-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,108

Quote:

Since weíre not talking about construction prices, what does that pay?

Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,142

I wouldn't sell the equipment right away. If anything, look at the tax consequences and consider doing it in phases.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (Yesterday)