Contracts And Forms - Business - Contractor Talk

Contracts And Forms

Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Trade: remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 6

Contracts And Forms

New to the business side and looking for advice. So far I have a quote form that I basically use as a contract, a payment schedule for large projects, change order, and a receipt form.

Also are there other forms I'm missing that I should be providing to customers? Like an invoice? Haven't really needed an invoice, but maybe I should be providing one? Also are there any good change order forms out there? The one I have kinda sucks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and any links to info on forms contractors should provide or sample forms would be great. Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 674

Re: Contracts And Forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1000 View Post
New to the business side and looking for advice. So far I have a quote form that I basically use as a contract, a payment schedule for large projects, change order, and a receipt form.

Also are there other forms I'm missing that I should be providing to customers? Like an invoice? Haven't really needed an invoice, but maybe I should be providing one? Also are there any good change order forms out there? The one I have kinda sucks.

I go to my dentist every month (not really). Just before I leave his secretary gives me an invoice for the work completed. A few weeks later, I get billed with a statement that shows only my running balance. I don't get billed with an invoice because using the term 'invoice' for two separate purposes is confusing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and any links to info on forms contractors should provide or sample forms would be great. Thanks!
You cannot use a quote form (whatever that is) for a contract if the quote form does not have all the legal requirements and notices required the laws in your jurisdiction. It appears that you need to do a lot of research regarding construction laws because the answers to your questions can fill a volume of encyclopedias.

Advertisement

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 02-13-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #3

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 146

Depends on size of project.

If you have absolutely no idea where to start, there is a book called “Home building contracts and construction management forms”.

Has a ton of different forms. You would still need to modify depending on your state and laws. But if your projects are smaller in scale, which they probably are just starting out, they MAY get you by until you have the cash to have an attorney assist.

For larger projects we use the AIA 104 I think it’s called. Used to be 107. We tweak to have final payment before punch list over, and a few other things to cover our____ financially. Try to stay ahead on draws. We draw every two weeks and that’s in our contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to LPG For This Useful Post:
sm1000 (02-15-2018)

Old 02-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

daffysplumbing: My quote/contract has the legal requirements, right to cure, 3 day, etc. I am licensed. I understand I have a lot of research to do, but telling me that does nothing for me. What I was asking was some links or info that others might be able to point me to. Please be a little more constructive in your replies.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

Thanks LPG, I'll check it out!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1000 View Post
daffysplumbing: My quote/contract has the legal requirements, right to cure, 3 day, etc. I am licensed. I understand I have a lot of research to do, but telling me that does nothing for me. What I was asking was some links or info that others might be able to point me to. Please be a little more constructive in your replies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 2,796

SIR, YES SIRRRR !!!!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #8

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 34

For me the big providers of standardized contracts are:
AIA
ConsensusDocs
AGC
NAHB Contract Documents

I'm a GC/Homebuilder, so if you are a trade contractor, you might want to look at what your industry association has available. My insurance broker also had a standardized Subcontract that we could use. If you have a lawyer that specializes in construction, they ought to be able to help, and in my opinion it would be wise to loop them into this process.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brian2 For This Useful Post:
Bainbridge (02-21-2018), sm1000 (02-19-2018)