Construction Spending Rises In January

Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Construction Spending Rises In January

https://www.remodeling.hw.net/busine...s-in-january_o

Construction Spending Rises in January
Gains in multi-family and nonresidential spending has offset the slump in single-family-home building, according to the Associated General Contractors.

Construction spending increased 1.3% from December to January, with most of the gains coming in either multi-family or nonresidential projects, according to analysis of government data by the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC). The gains in the multi-family and nonresidential sectors offset the continued slump in spending for single-family-home building.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 924

Re: Construction Spending Rises In January

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
https://www.remodeling.hw.net/busine...s-in-january_o

Construction Spending Rises in January
Gains in multi-family and nonresidential spending has offset the slump in single-family-home building, according to the Associated General Contractors.

Construction spending increased 1.3% from December to January, with most of the gains coming in either multi-family or nonresidential projects, according to analysis of government data by the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC). The gains in the multi-family and nonresidential sectors offset the continued slump in spending for single-family-home building.
What does that increase mean? Is is because everyone did not want to, or could not take out permits because business came to a halt from Thanksgiving until after the first of the year. Or, does it mean that less permits were taken out in December and less permits will be taken out in February. So, there was no realized increase.

I haven't seen a multi-family building project i.e. an apartment building being built for more than 40 years. All I see for multiple residential building is town homes and condos.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 2,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffysplumbing View Post
What does that increase mean? Is is because everyone did not want to, or could not take out permits because business came to a halt from Thanksgiving until after the first of the year. Or, does it mean that less permits were taken out in December and less permits will be taken out in February. So, there was no realized increase.

I haven't seen a multi-family building project i.e. an apartment building being built for more than 40 years. All I see for multiple residential building is town homes and condos.

We have apartments going up like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post

It has been the trend here to build homes, condos and town homes because an investor can make $50k to several hundred thousand dollars per unit very quickly vs. renting, babysitting, evicting and repairing units while making peanuts. It is very difficult to build your portfolio by building and holding apartments. If you were to build apartments to sell them as a entire apartment building you are still making a mistake because apartments sell for $250k to $500k per unit and you can build a small condo or town home for $250k to $500k (with the land) and sell the units for more than $1 million.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Here too.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,302

Here three for several years I can't believe it's not watering down the value.

February reports were all down I think which feels accurate from what I hear among subs and vendors
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 37,888

Quote:
The gains in the multi-family and nonresidential sectors offset the continued slump in spending for single-family-home building.
Prepping for the next downturn cycle that will eventually come (2-3 years)...
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Multi-family has been a consistently much sharper upward ramp compared to single family, going back to the beginning of the recovery.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,314

Probably depends on a lot of factors. What the bank is willing to finance, zoning, politics, what generates the most tax revenue, etc

The banks and politicians try to get it down to a science. I think single family has peaked since land costs are so high, it's why the cul-de-sac was so popular you could squeeze an extra dwelling or 2 in limited space....the parking sucked for the buyer but oh well
Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 2,216

Quote:
Multi-family has been a consistently much sharper upward ramp compared to single family, going back to the beginning of the recovery.
All those illegals storming the border have to live someplace.

Advertisement