Client Holding Back Funds On Different Job - Business - Contractor Talk

Client Holding Back Funds On Different Job

Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 6

Client Holding Back Funds On Different Job

Hi all

We completed work on deck in sherwood park (of which we weren't given a print) and have not been given a specific reason why it is not to code. It is. hangered and bolder to the foundation and also has piles etc it's pretty much framed like a stair well for those who understand that.

Anyways we recieved payment in full for the deck and the next job was for some deck work on a project in Ardrossa and now the client wants to hold funds back from this job and is justifying it because of "issues" with the deck of which we are unsure what exactly is wrong nor have we recieved a call to go back and do any deficency work that has been found. This was paid nearly one month ago to us and we haven't been contacted by the guy.

Can he actually do that ...hold funds back on a completely different project ..he's a one time client and we definitely don't need the work rom him it was more a short term thing.

Thoughts , insite and opinions please

Thanks,

Eric
Alberta, Canada

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Fuster Cluck Creator
Rewards Points: 198

Re: Client Holding Back Funds On Different Job

If there are indeed any outstanding issues they are your responsibility to correct them provided they are code violations. What did the inspector say on his final inspection? Get a copy of his inspection report.

Should the customer hold back funds on a completed job your next step is to file a lien on the property. In AB you only have 45 days from invoice to do so.

As for not paying in full on one job and withholding that from future payments he can't do that as they should be separate contracts.

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenterwest View Post
Hi all

We completed work on deck in sherwood park (of which we weren't given a print) and have not been given a specific reason why it is not to code. It is. hangered and bolder to the foundation and also has piles etc it's pretty much framed like a stair well for those who understand that.

Anyways we recieved payment in full for the deck and the next job was for some deck work on a project in Ardrossa and now the client wants to hold funds back from this job and is justifying it because of "issues" with the deck of which we are unsure what exactly is wrong nor have we recieved a call to go back and do any deficency work that has been found. This was paid nearly one month ago to us and we haven't been contacted by the guy.

Can he actually do that ...hold funds back on a completely different project ..he's a one time client and we definitely don't need the work rom him it was more a short term thing.

Thoughts , insite and opinions please

Thanks,

Eric
Alberta, Canada
Lien the property.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuildingFirm View Post
If there are indeed any outstanding issues they are your responsibility to correct them provided they are code violations. What did the inspector say on his final inspection? Get a copy of his inspection report.

Should the customer hold back funds on a completed job your next step is to file a lien on the property. In AB you only have 45 days from invoice to do so.

As for not paying in full on one job and withholding that from future payments he can't do that as they should be separate contracts.
As it turns out they did not get a permit for it as it was 23.75" from final grade to top of deck against the house. It slopes back to front but I guess even with that it was slightly over 24" from grade so time needed a permit. I haven't seen an inspection report and I have been unable to obtain any notes from an authority as to structural problems. The client and I are not on good terms as I was not going to role over and just accept it
Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 5,876

Quote:
As it turns out they did not get a permit for it as it was 23.75" from final grade to top of deck against the house. It slopes back to front but I guess even with that it was slightly over 24" from grade so time needed a permit. I haven't seen an inspection report and I have been unable to obtain any notes from an authority as to structural problems. The client and I are not on good terms as I was not going to role over and just accept it
Raise the grade
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-28-2014), Carpenterwest (07-27-2014), Jaws (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Fuster Cluck Creator
Rewards Points: 198

Go to the land registry office and find out who the legal property owners are. Send the lien to them via registered mail. Done.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
Balding quickly

Trade: The big stuff!
Rewards Points: 588

Lien. They can hold money for whatever reason. Even if that reasons because they suck.
CarpenterSFO (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Hi all
Can he actually do that ...hold funds back on a completely different project ...
Lien him on the current job, and find out what he's up to with the first job.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 278

technically they can't hold the funds for a different job but they have the "Golden Rule" on their side.

THEY HAVE THE GOLD SO THEY RULE!

Advertisement