Business Growth - Business - Contractor Talk

Business Growth

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #1

Trade: General contracting
Rewards Points: 52

Business Growth

I've been in business for 10 years, mainly providing a handyman service to apartments and HOA's. Which create opportunities for larger projects like perimeter fencing, roofing, and repairs. The majority of the work performed is correcting other contractors mistakes or poor craftsmanship. We have some experience local municipalities in public housing and a couple room additions and remodels.

We haven't seen much growth in the past 5 years. I believe some of my challenges are personnel (recruitment and retention), estimating, project managing, and benefits (health insurance). Some area we've considered for expansion is house fixing, new construction, and federal government (8a).

So I'm interested in hearing some stories or advice from other owners who broke the seal of being stagnant.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 32,412

Re: Business Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhimprove View Post
I've been in business for 10 years, mainly providing a handyman service to apartments and HOA's. Which create opportunities for larger projects like perimeter fencing, roofing, and repairs. The majority of the work performed is correcting other contractors mistakes or poor craftsmanship. We have some experience local municipalities in public housing and a couple room additions and remodels.

We haven't seen much growth in the past 5 years. I believe some of my challenges are personnel (recruitment and retention), estimating, project managing, and benefits (health insurance). Some area we've considered for expansion is house fixing, new construction, and federal government (8a).

So I'm interested in hearing some stories or advice from other owners who broke the seal of being stagnant.
You have a wide variety of work you target so therefore a wide audience. You can still do your handyman business, but a suggestion is to also find an area to specialize in as well that is more profitable... that's where you'll find business growth more rapidly...

Advertisement

Old Today, 05:49 AM   #3

Trade: General contracting
Rewards Points: 52

Re: Business Growth

Thanks for the advice, I had considered specializing in roofing. I have a pretty reliable crew and profit margins are good too.