Business Growth - Business - Contractor Talk

Business Growth

Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #1

Trade: General contracting
Rewards Points: 82

Business Growth

I've been in business for 10 years, mainly providing a handyman service to apartments and HOA's. Which create opportunities for larger projects like perimeter fencing, roofing, and repairs. The majority of the work performed is correcting other contractors mistakes or poor craftsmanship. We have some experience local municipalities in public housing and a couple room additions and remodels.

We haven't seen much growth in the past 5 years. I believe some of my challenges are personnel (recruitment and retention), estimating, project managing, and benefits (health insurance). Some area we've considered for expansion is house fixing, new construction, and federal government (8a).

So I'm interested in hearing some stories or advice from other owners who broke the seal of being stagnant.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,436

Re: Business Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhimprove View Post
I've been in business for 10 years, mainly providing a handyman service to apartments and HOA's. Which create opportunities for larger projects like perimeter fencing, roofing, and repairs. The majority of the work performed is correcting other contractors mistakes or poor craftsmanship. We have some experience local municipalities in public housing and a couple room additions and remodels.

We haven't seen much growth in the past 5 years. I believe some of my challenges are personnel (recruitment and retention), estimating, project managing, and benefits (health insurance). Some area we've considered for expansion is house fixing, new construction, and federal government (8a).

So I'm interested in hearing some stories or advice from other owners who broke the seal of being stagnant.
You have a wide variety of work you target so therefore a wide audience. You can still do your handyman business, but a suggestion is to also find an area to specialize in as well that is more profitable... that's where you'll find business growth more rapidly...

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice, I had considered specializing in roofing. I have a pretty reliable crew and profit margins are good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

Trade: Remodel
Rewards Points: 6

If you dont mind me asking how you are getting jobs with HOA's. Just e-mailing people or knowing people?

Thank you
Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

I get the jobs from the property management companies the manage the HOA's.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 678

make sure and have referrals get back with the HOA.
ask the clients to let them know how you worked out

the more the HOA hears " he did a great job " the better.
your putting their reputation on the line when your being referred,

i get referred by one of the lumber yard in our area. i make sure and say "please call them , and tell them how i treated you"
same with Angieslist, i actually get a handful of calls each week .
i make sure and ask them to write in , and say what they thought

you know as for getting more clients , that kind of takes time .
i am not even close to as organized as i should
but i make sure get all peoples info
especially emails

every now and them you can drop a letter ( to a bunch at once ) saying " hey bob here , here's a pic of a job i did lately , and let me know if you need me . thanks"
its not over "salesmany"
but years back i was slow , and i emailed about 300 clients like this .
i 2 or 4 calls right away , and that next week or 2 , got got calls from those i email.

clients just aren`t as loyal as they use to be . kind like outa sight/outa mind . got you remind them your here now and then
Old 07-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
You have a wide variety of work you target so therefore a wide audience. You can still do your handyman business, but a suggestion is to also find an area to specialize in as well that is more profitable... that's where you'll find business growth more rapidly...
I would suggest the same, though I don't work specially in this industry.

Advertisement