Business Funding Question - Business - Contractor Talk

Business Funding Question

Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/Carpentry
Rewards Points: 107

Business Funding Question

We are growing and need to get some money to help support the growth. We would like to get an unsecured loan if we can but are open to secured if we need. We have great credit and have a decent cash flow for last year. We've talked to a few places but they are pretty closed minded and don't want to lend much at all. We need money to hire another person as we have been awarded a few full home jobs and a few larger remodels and I can't handle all of it alone anymore. I do have laborers but I need more of an office person to help on that end more or a person to help manage the jobs. While we get these jobs going, cash flow will be a little tight until they are up and running so a loan would be very helpful. Anyway...where are you going for funding when you need it? Banks? Credit unions? Investors? Online banks?

Thanks and let us know what you have found helpful.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Roofing Contractor

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 264

Re: Business Funding Question

Is this a situation where Money-Mart isn't gona cut it?

I usually ask my family, and for worst case have friends to fall back on. Unless you can show the bank 3+ years (some require 5) of solid contracting revenues for them to base thier decission on, you arn't going to get far. Contractors are 2 high risk for the most part.

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

It doesn't sound like you are in a situation where you need a loan...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Floors
Rewards Points: 594

I do all of my banking at a smaller local bank. I personally have had better luck with loans from these type of places.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 500

Your chances of getting an unsecured loan are basically nil, and even getting a secured loan will be near impossible- banks aren't lending to construction companies. Your best bet is the three F's- friends, family and fools.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kovacs View Post
Your chances of getting an unsecured loan are basically nil, and even getting a secured loan will be near impossible- banks aren't lending to construction companies. Your best bet is the three F's- friends, family and fools.
I'm with Bob! But if you are going to try, you meant you are looking for funds for capital investment not labor ---- right? You are going to use the $ to buy a $80,000 tool and use your available funds to hire labor ---- right? Banks don't like to invest in labor - They quit or get fired - tools/property have value. Unfortunately there is little value in tools or property in this economy either.

Good luck!

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Design + Remodeling

Trade: Interior Design and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Not going to happen. You will need to find another way.

San Antonio Remodeling | Interior Design San Antonio | Facebook | Twitter
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Fire Alarm Systems, Fire Extinguishing Systems.
Rewards Points: 360

The customer, and no, I am not being facetious.

Mark
Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

If you need a loan to hire one office employee then you probably should not hire that person. Suck it up for a few more projects then you will have plenty of money by the sounds of it. Worse case you get a loan, hire people, then projects do not pan out exactly like you plan. Now your good credit suffers and you really, really, regret not dealing with the paperwork and phones calls for a little while longer.

http://www.ohiohomedoctorremodeling.com
Old 05-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Pro

Tough to just suck it up a little longer. I'm working about 16 hours a day every single day just to keep up and barely pay the bills and it has been that way for about 2 years or more. I can't take on any more volume because I literally can't do it. The other issue is that in order to get any work in our area right now you have to bid it so low you can't afford help unless you bid everything low enough to get the job. My thoughts are to bid a little lower and get the volume but high enough to pay another person to help. Otherwise, you work 16 hour days all the time and don't make and progress as a business. About 3/4 of the GC's in our area have gone on to totally different industries to work and have said they won't ever go back. Good due to less competition but bad because this happened due to such a poor market in our area. Anyway...after doing some research, it seems that the best route is through the bank we use as they gave the best rate and because our truck and trailer are paid off they will just use those as security. We can then get a line of credit loan against this where we only have to use it if we need.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejorgenson View Post
Tough to just suck it up a little longer. I'm working about 16 hours a day every single day just to keep up and barely pay the bills and it has been that way for about 2 years or more. I can't take on any more volume because I literally can't do it. The other issue is that in order to get any work in our area right now you have to bid it so low you can't afford help unless you bid everything low enough to get the job. My thoughts are to bid a little lower and get the volume but high enough to pay another person to help. Otherwise, you work 16 hour days all the time and don't make and progress as a business. About 3/4 of the GC's in our area have gone on to totally different industries to work and have said they won't ever go back. Good due to less competition but bad because this happened due to such a poor market in our area. Anyway...after doing some research, it seems that the best route is through the bank we use as they gave the best rate and because our truck and trailer are paid off they will just use those as security. We can then get a line of credit loan against this where we only have to use it if we need.
YIKES! After what you just wrote, you should go work for someone else. Your problems are much deeper than not having money my friend. If you are working 16 hours a day, booked steady and aren't making enough money then something is wrong. IF YOU NEED MONEY FROM THE BANK TO HIRE MORE HELP, YOU AREN'T READY TO GROW!!

For two years you have been barely able to pay the bills? What bank do you think will give you money? I am not trying to be mean but borrowing money to hire more help is a foolish cycle to get into.

I have a great solution that will help cure your problems.

RAISE YOUR PRICES!!!!
You will get less work so you wouldn't have to work so many hours, you would make more money and you would be less stressed.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Home Improvement & Repairs
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
YIKES! After what you just wrote, you should go work for someone else. Your problems are much deeper than not having money my friend. If you are working 16 hours a day, booked steady and aren't making enough money then something is wrong. IF YOU NEED MONEY FROM THE BANK TO HIRE MORE HELP, YOU AREN'T READY TO GROW!!

For two years you have been barely able to pay the bills? What bank do you think will give you money? I am not trying to be mean but borrowing money to hire more help is a foolish cycle to get into.

I have a great solution that will help cure your problems.

RAISE YOUR PRICES!!!!
You will get less work so you wouldn't have to work so many hours, you would make more money and you would be less stressed.

I just started my business, so I'm hardly an expert....But listen to this advise. Taking a loan to pay employees is not a good plan. What happens when you cant pay the loan and the bank takes your truck?

If you said you wanted a loan to buy better equipment, to increase productivity... sounds like a plan to generate more income.

Taking a loan to pay more out in payroll, I don't see how it will improve your situation. You'll just go broke quicker. Hire an extra employee and you added an additional salary and any associated costs, plus the loan payment. What's that going to add to your overhead? How will it decrease your profits.

If a lot of the GC's have moved on to other things, maybe its for a good reason.

If you're working non stop for 2 years and barely afloat, something needs to change.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC/Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejorgenson View Post

DONT DO IT! If your current situation cant support another employee, you are working 16 hour days, and you have all of these jobs sold, something else is wrong. Dig deeper, and find the REAL problem. If you require financing to hire someone with this type of volume, something is terribly wrong!
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Celtic's #1 Fan

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 2,000

Lmao....not because he's in that situation....but because he doesn't see the problem...if you need a short term bump, look into factoring...it'll give you cash against your contracts, but not a loan....
Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Celtic's #1 Fan

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 2,000

Y'all scarce him away....good going Bob....
Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Thank you Bam! He was talking about bidding even lower to get jobs? Unprofitable jobs where you work 16 hours / day for nothing?

Then he's talking about making up for it in volume? It reminds me of that sig: "I lose money on every job, but I make up for it in volume"

The solution, is raise prices, and the problem isn't being short handed.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Pro

Ok. I've decided to not hire another employee to help out the situation but rather figure something else out to solve my current issues.

I agree that simply raising pricing should help (fewer jobs, better money, less time), but the issues in our market right now are much deeper than that. Nearly every client we meet with is bidding their project out to at least 6 different companies, minimum. People are so hungry that they bid the work where at the end of the day they are really losing a lot of money. They are building zero equity in the business and are in fact going negative. Those that aren't playing this game are not doing any work at all right now.

Just to give an example, we have a job we were supposed to get plans for in the next few days to bid the project. My wife was talking to the potential client as she works with him and he told her they were probably just going to go with this other builder because this other builder told them they would build their home for $250k. That builder has never done custom homes, only production homes, and has never built in the city he wants to build in. This home is about 4500 square feet! Because I know the CC&R's, have worked in this city (I live there) and have dealt with this particular area, I know they are WAY off. Problem is, they hard bid custom home jobs and give this sort of number. They don't know it yet, but they will lose a lot of money. All the spring/summer jobs in our small area are going their way because of this so they will have taken most of the work for our area. Meanwhile, all the other local contractors are going to work other jobs and shutting completely down because this builder and one other builder that is doing the same thing is pushing everybody else out of business. It will come back around when they don't perform and lose money on every job, but that might take a while for them to realize because they have very deep pockets.

For one of my CE classes I just went to they discussed higher frequency of trying new things, getting rid of them if they don't work, and keeping those that do work, all very quickly. I couldn't help but apply this to bidding projects as well. I think we should try and bid more work (better marketing efforts up front to get more chances to bid) and get fewer jobs but get jobs that actually make a little money.

Thanks for the thoughts everybody.

Advertisement