Bidding An Agricultural Pole Barn - Business - Contractor Talk

Bidding An Agricultural Pole Barn

Old 07-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,416

Bidding An Agricultural Pole Barn

Received an e mail for a 4,500 sq ft pole barn for the Florida Wildlife commission. Lowest bidder gets the bid. I'm not going to low ball this just to get the job. They are customers just like anyone else. But man, 3000' of 2x4 roof purlins over 97 trusses, making my back hurt just thinking about it haha. Looking into renting a Mt52 Bobcat with an auger attachment for the 34 holes for the 6x6 posts and a concrete truck to fill them. Lowest bidder will have three weeks to build it. I think we can do it in half the time, catch is they will pay when project is finished. Do you think I can get them to budge on payment schedule for partial payment for materials when we deliver them?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Re: Bidding An Agricultural Pole Barn

I doubt it.Government is government work and that's the way it is.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
griz (07-03-2015), hdavis (07-02-2015), Jaws (07-03-2015), jhark123 (07-03-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,343

The lump sum payment keeps the smaller hand-to-mouth contractors out of the room.

Talk to your banker before you bid it, add in the cost of the note to cover labor and materials. Even if you have the means, you should be adding the cost of 'loaning' money to the owner...on all jobs that have delayed payments.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
griz (07-03-2015), hdavis (07-02-2015), Jaws (07-03-2015), ScipioAfricanus (07-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,402

The catch is they will pay when it is inspected and approved, and any discrepancies taken care of, and then 30 to 60 days since it will have to be approved and a check issued.

Better is that state/county/municipal/school work will have a greater profit because most smaller contractors cannot afford to wait for, or get insured for, or bonded for work for the public sector.

If you have no problem getting a 90 day line of credit, and you want the job, but do not need the job, then bid as if you would for anyone you don't know, and then add 20%. You might be surprised.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following User Says Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (07-25-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,402

The catch is they will pay when it is inspected and approved, and any discrepancies taken care of, and then 30 to 60 days since it will have to be approved and a check issued.

Better is that state/county/municipal/school work will have a greater profit because most smaller contractors cannot afford to wait for, or get insured for, or bonded for work for the public sector.

If you have no problem getting a 90 day line of credit, and you want the job, but do not need the job, then bid as if you would for anyone you don't know, and then add 20%. You might be surprised.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 07-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Inspected, passed, order sent to issue the check. 30 days after the check is issued, one week later USPS shows up to get check, two weeks later it shows up in my mail box, about 90 days after were done. Were have jobs, It won't break me if we do not get it. I think I can even swing the money but I am going to ask the bank for a 90 day loan. or 6 months. I like to hang on to what I have just in case.

Advertisement