Bettering Our Business - Business - Contractor Talk

Bettering Our Business

Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Bettering Our Business

Hi y'all I am a residental contractors wife? What are some ways that I can help run our business from home in an efficient organized way? We are a very small business currently ny husband and his partner do most of field work, as in going to do the bids, doing the actual work and so forth. We do have a few people that work but not consistently yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by swremodeling; 07-26-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Re: Bettering Our Business

What role do you play?
My wife answers the phone, runs qb, and does some scheduling. Constant communication and Google calendar have helped a lot. Have a routine. If you do accounting then daily or weekly you guys should review receipts, job costing, etc. A lot depends upon what you do, size of projects, etc

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #3

I have stepped back a lot as we recently had a baby. I use to work in field, and help with bids. I am wanting to step up my role to relieve stress off of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #4

I just don't know where to begin really. We need a system to keep our business organized. And something I plan on implementing when I find the right tools
Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,732

What accounting system do you use?

Tell your hubby and partner to label all receipts to the job they are for, and have them track and log all their hours by job. Tell them to turn them in daily. Then compile the information and keep a report going and share with them every other week. Let them know what the profitability is.

Make a letter head and invoice all of the clients by contract stage through email.

Figure your total overhead for the year. Your salary, insurances, trucks, maintenance, fuel, tools, ect.... and then you can better figure the overhead portion of the mark up.

Ill think of more tomorrow. Getting profitability and efficiency up always releives stress.

What size projects? How many going at one time?

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
swremodeling (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,422

Here's a way to help him ...put a message on his phone that you take his calls , and put your # on the message and all cards . text him pertinent info and that will take a load off . Also you can shop material, set up orders, set up appointments and research products .

You can handle his schedule , make bank deposits and handle returns , mis orders, overcharges and credits ..all from home .

You can e mail quotes and set up sales appointment s
The Following User Says Thank You to AGullion For This Useful Post:
Windwash (07-28-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
What accounting system do you use?

Tell your hubby and partner to label all receipts to the job they are for, and have them track and log all their hours by job. Tell them to turn them in daily. Then compile the information and keep a report going and share with them every other week. Let them know what the profitability is.

Make a letter head and invoice all of the clients by contract stage through email.

Figure your total overhead for the year. Your salary, insurances, trucks, maintenance, fuel, tools, ect.... and then you can better figure the overhead portion of the mark up.

Ill think of more tomorrow. Getting profitability and efficiency up always releives stress.

What size projects? How many going at one time?

Projects vary from bathrooms to drywalling several rooms just for examples. We don't have an accounting system in place. That's something I want to implement. We do email our invoices and such through joist

Last edited by swremodeling; 07-27-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGullion View Post
Here's a way to help him ...put a message on his phone that you take his calls , and put your # on the message and all cards . text him pertinent info and that will take a load off . Also you can shop material, set up orders, set up appointments and research products .

You can handle his schedule , make bank deposits and handle returns , mis orders, overcharges and credits ..all from home .

You can e mail quotes and set up sales appointment s
Thank u
Old 07-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

You really do need an accounting system in place. If not you may well miss federal and state tax liabilities and deadlines. I recommend QuickBooks Contractor Pro. Once set up, and as long as you faithfully enter everything on a timely basis, it will alert you to up-coming tax liabilities so that you can plan for them. I think a system like QuickBooks is worth it just for that when you're getting started.

But, it will do SO MUCH more for you once the learning curve has passed and you are utilizing all of its features. A software suite like QB, can help you in all aspects of your business. Even payroll if you set it up for it.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (07-27-2015), swremodeling (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #10

I had no idea that quick books had specific contractor program. That would help tremendously. Is this what you are talking about? Quickbooks originally made me a little nervous because I read reviews saying it was complicated. After more research and learning about this program I think with a little practice and studying it I could definitely learn to implement this program successfully.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,906

You may find that if you incorporated and all parties drew a paycheck with taxes taken out it would be much easier. Esp. IF you use a payroll service. Its something im debating going back to doing. A little more money that way, but peace of mind eh?

You would also find it a must to not co mingle monies. Nothing from the biz. account is spent on anything personal. No running loose with the debit card. Incorporating would help alleviate this issue I think as you will have a paycheck on friday that is sufficient, live within your means and all that.

Some goals would be to have 3 months operating expenses in the biz. account as well as the personal account. Money in the personal account, less chance of co-mingling.

Find a CPA around town, he will more then likely come to your house and show you how to use QB's
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Yup.... like JBM says, a good accountant will set up your QB for you and show you how to use it. That way, you're all on the same page. Stuff gets paid on time and they can project your business expenses and earnings in advance for you.... so that you can adjust your pricing or cut expenses if need be, to stay profitable.

A good business accountant will know what to look for and how to guide you through your growth. Again, they may "seem" expensive at first, but well worth more than their weight in gold.

Your accountant can tell you which version is right for you.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #13

Awesome thank y'all so Much
Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,422

You can do the books on a business that size with a spiral notebook....sit down and look at how to make him more productive so he can come home at a decent time. If he's a working contractor his phone is his biggest asset and biggest problem ..or will be . Mine got up to 10,000 minutes a month.
The Following User Says Thank You to AGullion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Quickbooks (or any other accounting program) is a necessity if you want to maintain a profitable business. I have no idea how anyone can run a business without keeping accurate records of their finances.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (07-27-2015)