Avoiding Credit Card A Charge Back, Question - Business - Contractor Talk

Avoiding Credit Card A Charge Back, Question

Old 08-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: exteriors
Rewards Points: 406

Avoiding Credit Card A Charge Back, Question

On june 3rd, i charged a customers credit card for 9100.. Totally legit. About 5 days later they start complaining about windows not operating properly so i immediately send someone there. My technician said everything worked but customer still wanted the casement window to close easier. That required the manufacturer to come down and adjust the hinges which they did immediately. Before they left, they asked the customer about any other issues and he said he was fine. 3 days later he calls and said another window needed to be adjusted so the manufacturer contacts him and he never returns calls to set up a date..i now get a call from his credit card company implying he wants a chargeback.. The credit card company wants to set up a conference call to which i said fine, no problem.
After researching charge backs,it seems the card company usually sides with their customer.
Should i close the checking account to which i have credit card deposits?
Would that prevent them from collecting directly from my account?
I am ready to kick the living **** out of this guy. Of course i wont, the sissy would call the police.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 482

Re: Avoiding Credit Card A Charge Back, Question

If you've got everything documented, the CC will not side with the customer.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Pro

I have all the emails of me addressing issues.. The card company said they will resolve it fairly..no way am i giving this guy a dime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Essentially the question that they ask is whether or not goods and/or services were delivered in exchange for the transaction. If the guy doesn't like the fact that his window is too hard to crank, that does not constitute failure to deliver on what was agreed.

Hypothetically if you were a hack and you totally screwed up the installation of the windows, the fact that you did what was on the contract would protect you and then they would have to sue you in court for any recourse.

The consumer is only protected from situations where you completely fail to perform.
Metro M & L (08-18-2014), pinwheel (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Pro

So him claiming their is a scratch on the frame of the window or that the window is hard to crank in will NOT grant him a charge back by visa?

chase bank wants to set up a conference call with us, should I decline ? Is that a bad idea?
I have nothing to hide but am worried they try and trap me or something.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
So him claiming their is a scratch on the frame of the window or that the window is hard to crank in will NOT grant him a charge back by visa?

chase bank wants to set up a conference call with us, should I decline ? Is that a bad idea?
I have nothing to hide but am worried they try and trap me or something.
We used to take CC's, but not for that amount. Had a few chargebacks, but we always had their signature on the receipts & never once did we loose money to one.

I'd do the conference call.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Quote:
That's correct. I'd even offer to come back and remove all of the windows if they want their money back.

Disputing a charge is a strategy to invoke action from the merchant if they don't respond or take too long to rectify a situation. Like one time I purchased some equipment on a lease agreement. I sent it back for a warranty repair and they didn't do anything for a good 4-5 months. So I called the leasing company, explained my dilemma and threatened to stop making payments. My equipment was fixed a week later BUT I still would have been on the hook to make the payment regardless of whether the equipment vendor followed through.

So even though this isn't your fault, this poor guy looks at his window, he wants it fixed right, he can't get any help, so he calls his credit card company.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Pro

So technically i dont have to even talk to the credit card company again, no conference call?
I will but watch what i say.
Opinion tedandersen?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Technically, no. The only reason why I would talk to them is so that the rep at the CC company can wrap his head around what's going on here. Not everyone understands that a transaction for services isn't a one-size fits all situation.. or at least the guy at the CC company realizes that he has no clue and hearing your side of the story will help him better understand.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Pro

I actually spoke to the credit card rep today and explained everything.. At the end of the conversation he mentioned the conference call.. Thats why i was thinking of not doing it ..????
With that, what do you think?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

using a credit card for such a large amount has set you up for this issue.....it was always going to happen at some point....

i dont accept credit cards for anything over $1000

i just bought some almost new rims for a car of mine.....one had the tiniest little mark on it...because the seller had all over his contract 'guaranteed blemish free' i was able to get $1,500 back to buy a brand new rim....even though the whole used set of 4 was only $2,500....he did eventually send me a new wheel and i sent him back his $1,500......for the smallest problem i could have gotten 75% of my money back WHILE keeping the product...............this is what MAY happen to you

dont accept cards anymore

I have lost a couple of times in a credit card battle.....who ever has the most documentation will most likely win......some credit card companies seemed more friendly to me and on my side from day 1....while some were more in the middle.....
Old 08-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Just wait till the customer lies about something we lost 4k once because we did not have a clause saying special order windows were not returnable

Your lucky though in my experience usually the care companies grab the money and ask questions later.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Everything we install is custom. White gutter is custom. Cancelation after day three they own it plus my time. It's in the contract brother no returns no restocking.

Charged back two jobs last fall and decided the convenience was not that convenient.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Pro

My contract stated double pane casement windows ( white, lowE argon )by manufacturer x including install and debris removal.
Nothing about blemish free or anything like that.
Also, the credit card company contacted me almost 2 1/2 months after the charge and job completion.

Last edited by power; 08-17-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
My contract stated double pane casement windows ( white, lowE argon )by manufacturer x including install and debris removal.
Nothing about blemish free or anything like that.
Also, the credit card company contacted me almost 2 1/2 months after the charge and job completion.
That should work in your favor, that's a long time to notice a blemish. I probably would not do a conference call, what's to gain? That gives him the opportunity to talk over you. Just give your side with documents. Did he sign off on the contract?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Accountant/Builder
Rewards Points: 165

Closing the checking account connected to the charge will not work. The bank will let the chargeback go through if it is done soon after closing. You will owe the money back to the bank.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 516

Do you have a clause in the contract that says nor refunds or chargebacks are allowed for credit card purchases?

I have a clause like that in my agreement but I am thinking about taking it out because it increases the number of people that want to use the card to get reward points. I could design a separate form for credit card purchases and only accept the card if the customer tells me they can't come up with the cash.

You should tell the credit card company that your agreement stipulates a warranty not a money back guarantee.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 521

We accept credit cards but we will not give a release of lien for at least 90 days after the credit card payment.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 836

reason #1 why I don't take credit cards

one of about 10 reasons
Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #20
Pro

The credit card company refunded the money to the customer account. No money was deducted from me yet, although its only a matter of time. I cannot believe this. His card company says as soon as my card processor receives paperwork, i can dispute it; thats how it works. The customer gets a temporary credit. So basically im guilty until proven innocent.
My head is spinning.

Advertisement