Another Cost Plus Question - Business - Contractor Talk

Another Cost Plus Question

Old 05-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,196

Another Cost Plus Question

If I'm a general on a job, doing a remodel for cost plus 20%, and my company is also doing the framing, do I get to charge an extra 20% on my own framing? I'm going to need to keep an eye on myself and control me as I do the other subs.

I've never done a cost plus, and I'm thinking about it.

Last edited by Calidecks; 05-23-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
I'm The BOSS

Trade: builder / remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,733

Re: Another Cost Plus Question

Is that your normal markup 20% ?

you should charge your normal rates, why loose money ??

Advertisement

Facebook
Old 05-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Is that your normal markup 20% ?

you should charge your normal rates, why loose money ??
It was an example. But adding 20% to my subs bill I don't think is a bad start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
I'm The BOSS

I would think normal rate for everything.

clearly your running the show.
you should be paid for experience and knowledge.
Facebook
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
I'm The BOSS

The only time I lower my markup is insurance jobs,,,

but I hide a little more $$$ elsewhere...
Facebook
Old 05-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

I'm thinking about it. I actually am pretty polished when it comes to making money with a set price. It's all in the language of the contract. I need to make sure both will at least be an equal amount of profit. I was just thinking that a cost plus might help me get paid for any "unforeseens" and could make it easier to write up, as far as contract language goes.

But my point about the framing, is it unfair to the HO that I markup the framing because I am also the framing sub? Is it unfairly double dipping? It would cost them the same if I actually subbed it to a framing contractor. This is an question of ethics.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,554

It would only cost the same if you and the other framing we're the same cost.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyze View Post
It would only cost the same if you and the other framing we're the same cost.
True, I'm talking in theory.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,554

Right but I think it still applies. I feel a GC on a cost plus project is in charge of quality and budget. I always look at a subs cost and quality when I decide what I self perform. If I feel I can do a better job and be competitive (not necesarilly cheaper) then I do it.

I just feel the reason someone trust you on a cost plus project is they feel you have them in mind for keeping costs realistic to their scope, not that you have an open checkbook.

That said I personally don't markup myself. My labor rate covers what it needs to whether I am a sub or a GC.
Calidecks (05-23-2015), Jaws (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyze View Post
Right but I think it still applies. I feel a GC on a cost plus project is in charge of quality and budget. I always look at a subs cost and quality when I decide what I self perform. If I feel I can do a better job and be competitive (not necesarilly cheaper) then I do it.

I just feel the reason someone trust you on a cost plus project is they feel you have them in mind for keeping costs realistic to their scope, not that you have an open checkbook.

That said I personally don't markup myself. My labor rate covers what it needs to whether I am a sub or a GC.
Yeah, I was thinking of selling the idea, that because I'm doing the framing they save on any markup that would come if I subbed it. I'm a "shoe in" on this job, but I want to be fair. There's a reason why they trust me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (05-23-2015), Rio (05-24-2015), Tom M (05-24-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 585

I do a lot of cost plus work and mark up all labor and material (and permits, insurance, superintendents, etc). I think technically you should be able to mark up your own crew and even your own personal labor. However, from a good will and customer relations perspective, I don't think I would. I would make sure your own labor and crew's labor is compensated at the top rate.
Calidecks (05-23-2015), Rio (05-24-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
If I'm a general on a job, doing a remodel for cost plus 20%, and my company is also doing the framing, do I get to charge an extra 20% on my own framing? I'm going to need to keep an eye on myself and control me as I do the other subs.

I've never done a cost plus, and I'm thinking about it.
Only if you are doing the job at cost...that's why we call it cost plus.
Calidecks (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanE View Post
I do a lot of cost plus work and mark up all labor and material (and permits, insurance, superintendents, etc). I think technically you should be able to mark up your own crew and even your own personal labor. However, from a good will and customer relations perspective, I don't think I would. I would make sure your own labor and crew's labor is compensated at the top rate.
I agree completely, and couldn't have said it better. There is nothing unethical about marking up a subcontractor's number by 20 percent, even if you are serving as the subcontractor. You are still managing the overall project and adding the cost incurred from doing so is not unreasonable, or, as I said, unethical. If the cost to the customer is what you have to get to stay viable, it is what it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff G For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 292

If the job contract calls for cost plus 20 it should not matter who does the work it would be cost plus 20.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 16,148

My crew labor rate, hourly or bid is set up to pay their wages, burden, vehicle and tools, and a reasonable profit like i would if i was a sub contractor. It is a separate entity, carpentry and being the builder. I mark up all invoices and reciepts on cost plus or fixed , including my own crew on a fixed bid or a cost plus contract. I have 3 cost plus projects under way, and a fixed bid that comprised of tearing down all but 900 sq ft of a house, gutting the remaing framing, adding on to the foundation and 3200 sq ft of living space. It was a way of getting around an ordinance for new construction on that lot. As it was basically a new custom, we did fixed cost.

I figured my crews labor on all four jobs, and added my mark up to all 4. It is not under handed at all, they pay for different things. Would a framing contractor not expect to make a profit from the framing?

What Andy said about value to the customer i am 100% in agreement with. I believe they are getting a better product with my crew. As far as good will with clients, we are all word of mouth, so they must be happy.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
My crew labor rate, hourly or bid is set up to pay their wages, burden, vehicle and tools, and a reasonable profit like i would if i was a sub contractor. It is a separate entity, carpentry and being the builder. I mark up all invoices and reciepts on cost plus or fixed , including my own crew on a fixed bid or a cost plus contract. I have 3 cost plus projects under way, and a fixed bid that comprised of tearing down all but 900 sq ft of a house, gutting the remaing framing, adding on to the foundation and 3200 sq ft of living space. It was a way of getting around an ordinance for new construction on that lot. As it was basically a new custom, we did fixed cost.

I figured my crews labor on all four jobs, and added my mark up to all 4. It is not under handed at all, they pay for different things. Would a framing contractor not expect to make a profit from the framing?

What Andy said about value to the customer i am 100% in agreement with. I believe they are getting a better product with my crew. As far as good will with clients, we are all word of mouth, so they must be happy.
I expect to profit from the framing as the framing sub, so can I ALSO expect to profit from the framing as the GC?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I expect to profit from the framing as the framing sub, so can I ALSO expect to profit from the framing as the GC?
Yes.

I dont feel most contractors are nearly as organized as we are ( not saying you) but we are organized properly. My crews labor, expenses and profit are tracked completely separate from our revenue as a GC. My truck is under GC overhead, my 5 crew vehicles are under their expenses. You bet i expect to make a profit from owning equipment, a shop, vehicles and training and maintaining a crew.

I dont know any builder who would not mark up the framing sub as a general, nor would i. We disclose how everything is billed and expensed, and they see reciepts for everything, our billing packages are like books.

If i just bumped their rate up 20 or 30% to cover not marking it up, thats just perception. On cost plus we 100% transparent.

Never been an issue for us.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-23-2015)
Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #18
The Sheriff

Another way to put it, if your doing a 100k remodel and you need to gross 20% on it to pay yourself, pay overhead and produce a profit, thats 20k. If the framing is 18k, you just did that job for 16,400, or 16.4%. So it doesnt compute to me.

John
Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Another way to put it, if your doing a 100k remodel and you need to gross 20% on it to pay yourself, pay overhead and produce a profit, thats 20k. If the framing is 18k, you just did that job for 16,400, or 16.4%. So it doesnt compute to me.
Great example.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to be able to make my 20k ONLY if I subbed it out. Why should I penalize myself for doing the framing in house?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Jaws (05-23-2015)