Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Roofing Sage

Trade: Thoroughbred Roofer
Rewards Points: 2,048
Question

Are You A "good" Roofer?

Are you a "good" Roofer?
Ken Hendricks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing/Siding
Rewards Points: 22

Re: Are You A "good" Roofer?

No

In fact I can tell when a shingler looking for work is lying. They'll walk in and say "I'm the best roofer ever been".

I know they are full of it right then and there because I'm the best that's ever been.

End of story

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

True. Most roofers work alone up there. When it done, every roof looks the same to everyone from below. So my answer is ONLY THE ROOFER (or you) knows he (or you) is that GOOD roofer or not!???....

-- Beauty/Perfection is in the eyes of the Beholder/Believer --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
No
In fact I can tell when a shingler looking for work is lying. They'll walk in and say "I'm the best roofer ever been".
I know they are full of it right then and there because I'm the best that's ever been.
End of story

The other thing I hear that let's me know someone's full of it is when they say "I went to school for this."
Ken Hendricks
Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfContract View Post
True. Most roofers work alone up there. When it done, every roof looks the same to everyone from below. So my answer is ONLY THE ROOFER (or you) knows he (or you) is that GOOD roofer or not!???....

-- Beauty/Perfection is in the eyes of the Beholder/Believer --
Yup. Roofing is one trade where a hack job can look as good as a good job from the ground.
Ken Hendricks
Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Roofing Sage

I'm a good roofer. I care about my work. I care about the homeowner's property. I care about doing the right job. I care about my crew. I care about the neighbors. I care about my reputation. I care about my craft. I'm a good roofer.
Ken Hendricks
Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

How Good of a roofer youm are depends on the final expectations of the customer being met.

Yeah, I know there are significant differences in the quality and skill level of the application.

Those differences need to be pointed out, so that when you are done with your $ 10,000.000 roof next door to a $ 5,000.00 roof, the home owner can be justified in knowing that he received significant added value to his/her investment on their home.

I am a good roofer, in the fact that I take the time to study, learn and utilize the knowledge, not only in the talk, but also in the walk.

Since I personally rarely do any of the roofing anymore, my knowledge must be transfered to the crew leader and the other members. They have to believe in what I am seling and continually strive for a higher degree of customer satisfaction and amazement.

So, not only am I a good roofer, but my expectation get met, even when I am not on the job.

Ed
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

What about flat tires on homeowners cars and broken shrubs and bushes and hopefully no leaks.Everyone knows it doesnt matter where the nail in the tire realy came from if they are getting a roof replaces its the roofers fault. Do these things make you a bad roofer?
Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by big steve View Post
What about flat tires on homeowners cars and broken shrubs and bushes and hopefully no leaks.Everyone knows it doesnt matter where the nail in the tire realy came from if they are getting a roof replaces its the roofers fault. Do these things make you a bad roofer?
Steve
Does not make you a bad roofer. Makes you a bad Businessman.

It is not, where I come from, the Roofers business what happens on the ground. That what the loader, cleaner, go-getter, coffeeboy is for.

If a client gets a nail in their tire, a broken bush or a torn-up gutter, it is the FAULT of the person who sold/manages/oversees the job.

If it is a comprehensive installation (every man is all things) then yes. It makes you a poor Roofer.

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 03-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
APPLIED RIGHT

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 250

If a homeowner gets a flat tire,that makes you a poor roofer?It may make you a bad foreman or supervisor(but s**t happens and you make it right)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,772

A good roofer is one who starts EVERY sentence posted with "I".
Old 03-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #12
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
A good roofer is one who starts EVERY sentence posted with "I".
"I" thank you.

Ken Hendricks
Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

i hear ya
Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
Roofing Sage

Some homeowner's have unreasonable expectations. Plus, most (while having common sense) don't know how to run a contracting job.

I've come across some customers that wanted me to start a roof at 2:00PM after a downpour of rain because according to them, I could get a good 3 hours of work in (of course, they don't take into account my travel time to the job, set up and break down time, etc...).

I'd never allow a customer to define my standards of work. Besides, I'm the Roofer. I'm the one with 2 1/2 decades of experience. It's not about me being superior, but a Roofer has to respect themselves and walk into a potential customer's home with the assuredness that they are the one who will run the job.

I've walked away from many a job while dead broke because I knew the customer was going to be a headache and an obstacle course on the job. Took me years to develop that intelligence. But that is what makes me a better Roofer...I won't get screwed by an undeserving & unscrupulous customer, I'll be stronger financially, I'll be better as a company and I'll be able to service the customer who will deserve me to risk my life, get into all sorts of uncomfortable situations and work a hard job for them.
Ken Hendricks

Last edited by 2ndGen; 03-14-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor

"I" did a job in Poland, Ohio a few years ago and after completion and the crew had left i stopped in to inspect and collect payment from the home owner,
the home owner says, ok Steve your guys did a good job but i have one problem to address before i pay, i say ok, whats wrong?,
we step outside and look up at the roof from the front lawn and he is looking for several minutes and than says, hold on a minute i'll be right back,
few minutes pass and he returns with a pair of binoculars and stares up at the roof for several more minutes and than says, Hey! there it is, look Steve, see that corner of the one shingle there sticking up?,,,,,,,,,
"Can't see it with the naked eye but its a disaster"
so i promptly set up a ladder and tapped the corner of the shingle with a hammer and told him the sunshine would do the rest .

To picky of a home owner, i would say yes because he was on my guys backs everyday, but his monies spent just as good as any others home owners we did jobs for
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

Thats nothing.

Back in December of 1997, I actually had a customer use his video camera with the magnification set at 800 X Zoom, just so he could point out what he called "Nail-Pops" from the toe-boards.

I even used my regular 35 mm camera set at its maximum Zoom, but stil could not see the lifted areas.

This was a 16/12 pitch chalet style, which we had to remove mounds of snow off of the tarps on a daily basis.

It wasn't nail pops, but just the shingles remaining lifted up a tad, due to the cold weather.

Oh well, it's customers like that, which make me appreciate the rest of them so very much more.

Ed
Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
To picky of a home owner, i would say yes because he was on my guys backs everyday, but his monies spent just as good as any others home owners we did jobs for
You mean to the picky homeowner that "actually" pays you!

That guy wasn't picky...he just pointed something out that's reasonable to have a concern about.

You want picky? How's about a woman who almost didn't allow me to install the skid of shingles on her roof because they got "wet". I kid you not. I told her that if they were no good for getting wet on the ground (mind you, these were wrapped bundles stacked nicely with a plastic wrap on top), then why would we be using shingles to waterproof her house? Their shingles...their supposed to get wet!
Ken Hendricks
Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
Roofing Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Thats nothing.

Back in December of 1997, I actually had a customer use his video camera with the magnification set at 800 X Zoom, just so he could point out what he called "Nail-Pops" from the toe-boards.

I even used my regular 35 mm camera set at its maximum Zoom, but stil could not see the lifted areas.

This was a 16/12 pitch chalet style, which we had to remove mounds of snow off of the tarps on a daily basis.

It wasn't nail pops, but just the shingles remaining lifted up a tad, due to the cold weather.

Oh well, it's customers like that, which make me appreciate the rest of them so very much more.

Ed

Thank Gosh I've developed my Spider Senses!

When they start tingling, I'm out of there like last year!

Ken Hendricks
Old 03-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #19
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor

{That guy wasn't picky...he just pointed something out that's reasonable to have a concern about.}

The lower corner of a shingle curled a bit because it has not layed down yet was a reasonable concern even tho you could not see it with the naked eye?

Advertisement