Why Do They Lie? - Page 4 - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Why Do They Lie?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #61
Pro
 
BamBamm5144's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,181
Rewards Points: 2,786

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
Ouch. You gonna stoop to their level?
It isn't stooping. I don't care because I have jobs going on. This guy was mad because he has no work.

I follow the regulations. If you follow them, it shouldn't matter if OSHA is called.

I thought on that one job, it wouldn't be a problem. Then they took out a tape measure to measure if the ladder was extended far enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
I really am curious on this. How would you have reacted if the guy, the roofer, down the street had come down and introduced himself and offered you guys some coffee (or soda if it were hot). this is of course instead of calling OSHA..
I would have said thanks, we appreciate. What is your name and name of your business so I can look into sub contracting work to you if you aren't too busy.
BamBamm5144 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
WildWill (01-19-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #62
Pro
 
MJW's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,772

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
I did 50 some roofs for wmc, I don't have A&E magnets because I don't have a builders liscense, therefore I am very limited on the jobs I can take, turning my leads over works in everyones favor. Do you want a sub on your job with their company name all over their truck?


I operated that way because a couple years ago I was told get comp and start a crew or no more paychecks for me. Whatta ya do?

Yes, that is what a sub is. The way you are operating is illegal here and I wonder how your insurance works being you have another entities name on your personal/company vehicle.

If I hire a plumber or electrician or a framer, I expect him to have his own company name on the truck, not mine.

The way you are operating, you are an employee but not being treated like one.

Subs work for more than one contractor, if not, you are not a sub.
MJW is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
Mud Master (01-21-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #63
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW

Yes, that is what a sub is. The way you are operating is illegal here and I wonder how your insurance works being you have another entities name on your personal/company vehicle.

If I hire a plumber or electrician or a framer, I expect him to have his own company name on the truck, not mine.

The way you are operating, you are an employee but not being treated like one.

Subs work for more than one contractor, if not, you are not a sub.
You talk to much about stuff you don't have all the details for, I did multiple jobs for 5 contractors in 2011.

The way I operaed is 100% legal here.

My primary contractor was not the one who told me to get comp and start a crew, that guy was quickly phased out.

So if you own "joes roofing" and sub. Job to someone else, you want a "freds roofing" truck. Complete with freds phone number parked out front.

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 01-19-2012 at 03:20 PM.
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #64
Pro
 
MJW's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,772

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
You talk to much about stuff you don't have all the details for, I did multiple jobs for 5 contractors in 2011.

The way I operaed is 100% legal here.

My primary contractor was not the one who told me to get comp and start a crew, that guy was quickly phased out.

So if you own "joes roofing" and sub. Job to someone else, you want a "freds roofing" truck. Complete with freds phone number parked out front.
Yes, and in that case "joe's roofing" is the contractor and Fred is the sub. And IMO "Joe's Roofing" is not a roofing company. They are a Contractor who contracts work to fred's roofing company.

Here, if you are a roofer or sider, you must be licensed or be an employee of a licensed contractor.

I'm not sure what you mean about "talking too much about what you don't know". I know the rules and abide by them. Not many do, and that is the reason why prices fall every year.

I don't blame you personally. You are doing what you have to do. Those GC's are simply taking advantage of loop holes and calling themselves exterior contractors.

Our company has been a sub many times. We have license and insurance. Our company name and numbers are on our trucks, shirts, jackets. We are a legal sub. Most of our work is our own work though.

Like I said, does any other sub in any other field have another companies name on their truck? No.

How do you sub for other companies with another GC's name on your truck?

My advise, get a license, become your own entity, and make some real money. You are the one with the talent, the know how, the tools, and willing to work. Don't make an office jockey rich with your labor.
MJW is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
Mud Master (01-21-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #65
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


I take the magnets off. Around here a few compnies have a sub use the magnets, I had his because I saw them in his office and asked for them. It is good for me if who I work for gets more work and if anybody got it i'd prefer he get it beings it usually goes to me.
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #66
Member
 
Chris-TRS's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutters, Soffits, Fascia, Cladding
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Castlegar B.C.
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
I had OSHA called on me twice this year because I was working on the same street as where other roofing company owners lived.

First time they got me for $2400. Yes, that is how much it costs to ONLY have one infraction and that infraction being a ladder only extending two feet past the gutter line instead of three.

The second time was nothing, mainly because of the first time.

I'm all for being safe, but when some one calls in on you it just shows you what kind of person they are (power tripping SOB). Sorry to hear about that....I've had a similar incident myself and I know it really chapped my arse.
I found out it was another contractor that was bitter that he/she didn't get the job.
Chris-TRS is offline  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #67
Pro
 
artiospainting's Avatar
 
Trade: painting and cleaning
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 283
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Why Do They Lie?


If he is a lier why are you bothered. Id be glad not to work for him.
artiospainting is offline  
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #68
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by artiospainting
If he is a lier why are you bothered. Id be glad not to work for him.
I'm pretty sure I covered that already.
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #69
Doug
 
room2roof's Avatar
 
Trade: roofing, remodeling & painting
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Remember, if you keep the mindset that God only allows the best to come to you then everything you lose will be for a reason. I have lost quite a few this season to Storm chasers or other roofers/junkies/day laborers.... lol ....and in the end because I knew I did my part in educating the customers and making sure they understood quality from crap and that anyone CAN'T put a Roof on I have continued to soar and exceed my goals. I have to say some of the folks that chose another competitor would sometimes call to apologize and even send me referrals because they knew they've mad a mistake by not hiring my company.
charlotte roofing company, charlotte nc roofers, roofing companies nc, roof contractors, roof repairs north carolina
room2roof is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to room2roof For This Useful Post:
roof-lover (03-19-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


I figured it out, he definatley did not get a cheaper price.
He went with a standing seam job....
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #71
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


They seem to be moving along.

why do they lie?-forumrunner_20120127_173839.jpg



why do they lie?-forumrunner_20120127_173851.jpg
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #72
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by topviewroofing

yeah how do you know and why did you say they lie? Anyway, just respect their reason......
Because he lied to us, he didn't say he was going with a steel roof instead. He said he wanted us to do the job in spring, and 2 weeks later I came home to this. He lied, but he's the one who doesn't want to look across the street, doesn't bother me at all.
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,310
Rewards Points: 13,018

Re: Why Do They Lie?


It took them 3 1/2 weeks t do the job.
A&E Exteriors is online now  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #74
Mad Italian
 
TheItalian204's Avatar
 
Trade: Licensed Mason/Owner of small business
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,567
Rewards Points: 2,004

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
It took them 3 1/2 weeks t do the job.
I ve heard that metal roofing can be lucrative...but I would be finding resort in fact that if it took them 3 1/2 weeks with three guys it would probably take you same amount on your own...so you wouldnt be making much monies...
__________________
www.gabesmasonry.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Master View Post
I hate when a profitable job becomes a charitable write off.
TheItalian204 is offline  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #75
Remodeling GC
 
kevjob's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 2,655
Rewards Points: 1,822

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Dude, Buyers are Liars.....
kevjob is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
TheItalian204 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #76
Pro
 
dougger222's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing Contractor
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stillwater Minnesota
Posts: 1,678
Rewards Points: 1,116

Re: Why Do They Lie?


If I had $5 for every roof I was promised only to drive by or find out another "roofer" did it...

The ones that give me great troubles are the roofs that are $35-50K. These are the roofs you can make money on...

One comes to mind. One of my wifes customers had me meet with the adjuster to inspect for hail damage. The adjuster agreed to total both the 65sq house roof and 50sq detached garage roof. The adjuster asked if I'd measure them and send him the diagram and Xactimate estimate, said no problem. The next time I saw him at my wifes work he introduced me to his friends as "his roofer" felt pretty cool...

A couple months later didn't hear from him in terms of getting the insurance check and wanting to schedule so figured it was time to call him. When asked about doing his roof he simply said, "the neighbor kids did it". Who has "the neighbor kids" roof your million dollar home??? I would have rather had him not lie to me like a little kindergarden kid and just tell me another roofing or contracting company did it. This job was approved for $46K, roof only.
dougger222 is offline  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #77
Doug
 
room2roof's Avatar
 
Trade: roofing, remodeling & painting
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Why Do They Lie?


This is an unfortunate fact of life..People will use you to bid for the lowest price.....however he will get what he paid for and that is his karma coming back around....A Roof should never be one of those things that you try to find the cheap cheap price for....it protects everything you hold valuable under it.....I see more butcherings call Roof installs when I do roof inspections here in the Charlotte NC area than I've ever seen in my life.........any jerkoff can swing a hammer but it takes know how and education to install a roof or anything properly.

Charlotte Roofing, Roof Repair Charlotte NC, Roofing companies in Charlotte NC, Roof Replacement Charlotte North Carolina, Roofing Contractors in Charlotte


Advertisement

room2roof is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?