Why Do They Lie? - Page 3 - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Why Do They Lie?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


The reason it was bugging me is because there goes my commission and work, and who enjoys being lied to? But as I said, I see it as entertainment now.
A&E Exteriors is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #42
Pro
 
MJW's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,772

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Are you not your own company? Why have someone else's magnets on your truck that you pay for?

I understand your situation, I just don't know why anyone would want to operate like that.

FWIW, you did do the right thing, IMO. Just don't agree with the business model.
MJW is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW
Are you not your own company? Why have someone else's magnets on your truck that you pay for?

I understand your situation, I just don't know why anyone would want to operate like that.

FWIW, you did do the right thing, IMO. Just don't agree with the business model.
I did 50 some roofs for wmc, I don't have A&E magnets because I don't have a builders liscense, therefore I am very limited on the jobs I can take, turning my leads over works in everyones favor. Do you want a sub on your job with their company name all over their truck?


I operated that way because a couple years ago I was told get comp and start a crew or no more paychecks for me. Whatta ya do?
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Hey Apkole, where do you live "north of GR"?
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
Pro
 
BamBamm5144's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,181
Rewards Points: 2,786

Re: Why Do They Lie?


I have a neighbor who needs a new roof. Actually, he needed it three years ago. We don't get along much.

Anyways, I did a job for a general contractor in 2010 on a flat roof. Guy calls me up, screaming that it is leaking. I go out there to find that he changed the work we did, thus voiding the warranty. He tried the whole court routine and it didn't go well for him.

Anyway back to my point. This GC I found out is related to my neighbor (maybe why he doesn't like me anymore). Obviously the neighbor would never hear the true story. I cannot wait until he does his roof and these guys show up. I am going to gladly tell them that they need to harness up before OSHA gets out here and I will even take pictures. That will be quite the day.

Now, I probably wouldn't even be bothered by it except I have heard from some people that this guy has gone around bad mouthing and what not.
BamBamm5144 is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #46
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144
I have a neighbor who needs a new roof. Actually, he needed it three years ago. We don't get along much.

Anyways, I did a job for a general contractor in 2010 on a flat roof. Guy calls me up, screaming that it is leaking. I go out there to find that he changed the work we did, thus voiding the warranty. He tried the whole court routine and it didn't go well for him.

Anyway back to my point. This GC I found out is related to my neighbor (maybe why he doesn't like me anymore). Obviously the neighbor would never hear the true story. I cannot wait until he does his roof and these guys show up. I am going to gladly tell them that they need to harness up before OSHA gets out here and I will even take pictures. That will be quite the day.

Now, I probably wouldn't even be bothered by it except I have heard from some people that this guy has gone around bad mouthing and what not.
Edit: appearently it has been brought to my attention that I made a joke that may be mis-percieved and possibly offend someone. Joke removed

I hate badmouthers...

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 01-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #47
Pro
 
BamBamm5144's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,181
Rewards Points: 2,786

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
Afler the job gets done fill 2 supersoakers with unleaded, and pay a couple kids to soak his new valleys.

I hate badmouthers...
Thanks but I will pass on the prison term
BamBamm5144 is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #48
Pro
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Trade: siding
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 17,271
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Why Do They Lie?


nice a&e
__________________
Tom

Last edited by Tom Struble; 01-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Tom Struble is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #49
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble

there ya go...perfect comment for a professional site
Hey now, I'm just saying what's past through all our minds at one point or another, I don't expect anyone to actually do it.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #50
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Would tattle tailing to OSHA really be more "dignified"
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #51
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Double post

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 01-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #52
Pro
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Trade: siding
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 17,271
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Why Do They Lie?


well one is a crime and one isn't...can ya guess which one?


edit that so other people don't see it
__________________
Tom
Tom Struble is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #53
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,369
Rewards Points: 9,628

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Yes it would. Yes it would.
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #54
Pro
 
WildWill's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sequim, Washington
Posts: 1,116
Rewards Points: 504

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Is it cold out there? Bring those fellow roofers some hot coffee. You know what it's like to be there freezing your azz off.

Last edited by WildWill; 01-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.
WildWill is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #55
Pro
 
apkole's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential roofing contractor
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 215
Rewards Points: 186

Re: Why Do They Lie?


A&E check yer messages. Got busy shoveling snow. 25 above this am went to 12 and -2 windchills by the time I finished at noon. Haven't had frozen fingers for awhile.

Inside the warm office . . . much better now.
apkole is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #56
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by apkole
A&E check yer messages. Got busy shoveling snow. 25 above this am went to 12 and -2 windchills by the time I finished at noon. Haven't had frozen fingers for awhile.

Inside the warm office . . . much better now.
I know the feeling...
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #57
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Calling OSHA is what a disgruntled or recently fired employee does.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #58
Pro
 
BamBamm5144's Avatar
 
Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,181
Rewards Points: 2,786

Re: Why Do They Lie?


I had OSHA called on me twice this year because I was working on the same street as where other roofing company owners lived.

First time they got me for $2400. Yes, that is how much it costs to ONLY have one infraction and that infraction being a ladder only extending two feet past the gutter line instead of three.

The second time was nothing, mainly because of the first time.
BamBamm5144 is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #59
Shingler extraordinaire
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 8,440
Rewards Points: 13,388

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Ouch. You gonna stoop to their level?
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #60
Pro
 
WildWill's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sequim, Washington
Posts: 1,116
Rewards Points: 504

Re: Why Do They Lie?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
I had OSHA called on me twice this year because I was working on the same street as where other roofing company owners lived.

First time they got me for $2400. Yes, that is how much it costs to ONLY have one infraction and that infraction being a ladder only extending two feet past the gutter line instead of three.

The second time was nothing, mainly because of the first time.
I really am curious on this. How would you have reacted if the guy, the roofer, down the street had come down and introduced himself and offered you guys some coffee (or soda if it were hot). this is of course instead of calling OSHA..

Advertisement

WildWill is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?