Sidewall Flashing Question - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Sidewall Flashing Question

Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Painting
Rewards Points: 20

Sidewall Flashing Question

I tore 3 layers of shingles off my side porch today to get it ready for new shingles, and I'm not sure how to install the flashing - I would love a recommendation.

The siding of this 1942 house was installed before the 8' side porch was attached, but the porch is original to the house (it was not an add-on) - the siding below the shingle line is bare wood, never been painted. There is a 1/4"-1/2" gap between the 1x4 porch roof deck and the siding. The sidewall edge of the first layer of shingles was cut longer and bent back so that the shingles curved up against the siding, and the shingle-to-siding joint was caulked with roof tar. The 2 subsequent layers were laid in the same fashion, but without the roof tar. I'm going to assume the sidewall on the other side of the house is "flashed" the same way.

There have not been any leaking issues (the overhang is 24" and is no more than 4' above the porch), but I want to flash the sidewalls correctly when I put the new shingles on. I know step flashing is the best way to flash a sidewall, and I know the step flashing needs to be installed behind the siding. I'm thinking I can cut a 5" section of the siding (I can use a toe-kick saw to cut flush to the top of the roof deck) above and parallel with the roof deck, install step flashing with the shingles, and cover the cut lines with 1x6 trim that would match the rest of the house trim. Is there a better way to flash the porch roof?

Last edited by DannyColpo; 03-26-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: More detailed titled desired

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

Re: Sidewall Flashing Question

More information:

I just remembered that there is no sheathing behind the siding - the siding is nailed directly to the wall studs. If I cut the siding sections, there would be nothing to hold the step flashing in place to the sidewall.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 126

http://thehtrc.com/2013/getting-deta...-roof-flashing
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
It looks like, in your article, that I could apply I&W on the sidewall-to-roof-deck joint (at least 6-8" on the sidewall), then step flash while installing the shingles, and finish with counter-flashing over the step flashing. Am I reading that right?

Driving through our neighborhood, I saw a house that has a newer roof (<5 years) which was replaced after a tornado went through the neighborhood that has the step flashing applied to the face of the sidewall. If that was not code for this area, I'm sure it would not have passed inspection.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #5
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 126

if sidewall = sheathing with WRB lapped over the I&W then yes
if sheathing = cedar siding then no
think about how water flows & yes it does get behind all types of siding - you need to get it away from the house & not give it a chance to get in
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #6

There is no WRB or sheathing behind the 1x8 pine-lapped siding; the siding is attached directly to the studs.

The sidewall was sided bottom to top before the porch roof was attached. The porch roof deck is not attached to the sidewall; there is a 1/4"-1/2" gap between the roof deck and the sidewall.

There is no way to attach WRB or sheathing to the studs behind the pine siding without removing the porch roof.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyColpo View Post
There is no WRB or sheathing behind the 1x8 pine-lapped siding; the siding is attached directly to the studs.

The sidewall was sided bottom to top before the porch roof was attached. The porch roof deck is not attached to the sidewall; there is a 1/4"-1/2" gap between the roof deck and the sidewall.

There is no way to attach WRB or sheathing to the studs behind the pine siding without removing the porch roof.
Can you post any pictures of it?
Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #8

Sidewall flashing question-142559.jpg
The black line above the roof deck is the tar line where the original roof shingle edge was caulked to the siding. The white line is the silicone (?) line where the second shingle edge was caulked to the siding.
Sidewall flashing question-142618.jpg

Last edited by DannyColpo; 03-28-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyColpo View Post
More information:

I just remembered that there is no sheathing behind the siding - the siding is nailed directly to the wall studs. If I cut the siding sections, there would be nothing to hold the step flashing in place to the sidewall.

Bent at 90*, the step flashing doesn’t need to be nailed to the vertical edge.

One high nail on the roof deck will hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
Bent at 90*, the step flashing doesn’t need to be nailed to the vertical edge.

One high nail on the roof deck will hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The installation instructions call for IWS applied 5" up the sidewall under the metal flashing. That can't happen without sheathing.

I think my 2 options are (1) step and counter flash on the outside face of the siding [allowed by local building code] or (2) cut a section of siding, attach a flat piece of metal flashing to the studs, install the IWS to the flashing, shingle and step flash on top of the IWS, trim the removed siding with 1x with drip cap installed behind the existing siding and on top of the 1x.

Advertisement