Roof Penetration In Inclement Weather - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Roof Penetration In Inclement Weather

Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: security
Rewards Points: 278

Roof Penetration In Inclement Weather

Okay, we are running some 3/4 conduit along the outside of a building and need to penetrate the flat roof straight down and into an IT room. The building is new-ish in construction, concrete, and we plan on using an Oatey Master flash universal pipe flashing. The question I have is regarding rain and sealing the silly thing.

So we have roof patch suggested at 50 degrees weather for application and 24 hour of no rain prior and after. We have the 50 degree but the rain is keeping it somewhat wet. Not completely. It is drizzly and we should be dry for the next few days but no guarantee.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions as we are electricians just trying to get into this IT room with our wire.

Do you think we will be okay if the area is somewhat wet? What about using a heat gun? other ideas??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Re: Roof Penetration In Inclement Weather

Call a roofing contractor and have it done right....

I assume you are caulking a Oatey pipe boot down. Just stop right there and have someone seal it right.

If it leaks and the owner calls a roofer, they will find the problem, then guess who gets the blame.

Or you could figure out what the material is, use the appropriate flashing.

If you need to do it today, put your penetration though, make sure the conduit is at least 1 foot high before any bends. Use a good caulking around it and call a roofer ASAP.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
Pro

We are matching the existing roof penetrations. This IT room has 2 or 3 already so we purchased the same style of Oatey product to match.

Just need to make sure it gets seated correctly and if there are any tips for this kind of weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Pro

If the roof isn't that old it may void the warranty. No matter what material it is the Oatey flashing isn't a correct product, just because someone else did it wrong doesn't mean you need to. Let me be clear, unless its a metal roof the Oatey master flash will work, but its not correct, it wont last.

How exactly are you sealing it down? what kind of material are you going to be sealing it to?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Pro

It is a an elastic crack and sealer product. White in color to match the current color. When we talked to the contracting dept at Lowe's and ran the job info by them, this is what they suggested. although apparently this one is rated at 65 degree for install.

I do like your idea of verifying with a roofer when we get the chance. I have a call in to a few of my other contacts and will see if I can get them out there to take a quick look.

Not sure if the pic will show up, but if it does you will see the flashing that we are using.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Penetration in inclement weather-roof.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Pro

That boot is more for metal roofs. Id just pt your conduit in and seal around the hole with a good caulking. Let the roofer put a pitch pan around it.

Caulking that boot down won't last very long.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Pro

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help. We will get the conduit done and sealed, put this boot on for the moment, and then have a roofer pull it and seal it later. At least for the moment we can move forward with the job.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Roofing/Siding
Rewards Points: 20

It's just a flat roof, just get some FlexSeal and spray it around there after you punch your hole. It'll be fine.

Seeing examples like this all the time, I have other thoughts on this thread but I won't bother.
Lowe's?? Wouldn't a conscientious contractor include an experienced roofer to properly flash the penetrations in their bid?

Last edited by OldNBroken; 02-20-2014 at 09:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
1985gt (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

What kind of roof is it? Epdm, PVC, or TPO?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Roofing/Siding
Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post
What kind of roof is it? Epdm, PVC, or TPO?
BUR? Torchdown? (app? sbs?) low slope metal?

What mfr? Is there an active warranty on the roof?

Those are the first things you need to know.

Doubt the snot-nosed pimple rancher at Lowe's knows any of these questions. But I bet he can point you to the caulk and buckets of mastic.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I'm going to take a guess and say tpo. He said it's white. (Even though it could be PVC) so you really should call a roofer and have him weld a boot down for you.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Geez, at least he asked first, cut the guy some slack.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
jlsconstruction (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
Geez, at least he asked first, cut the guy some slack.
You're saying we didn't cut him some slack? You should see what the responses would have been had he said.

"I installed a conduit with this boot while it was wet and now it leaks what should I do?"

The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Oh for sure, the Problem after post deserves no mercy. BUT he had enough sense to ask before he did it.. AND he came to the best place for roofer advice so he already has at least half a brain...he might be able to actually do the work too..

He shouldn't, because he just shouldn't, and it will void the warranty w out a doubt.. it would mine anyhow.... but if someone was going to do this on my roof, all I can really hope for is that they have sense enough to ask first.

The comment about the guy at the big box store did discredit him, but in all fairness, there's a chance that info might actually come from a reputable x contractor/home depot sales rep... I mean clearly THAT ADVICE did not, but its possible to get sound advice from a sales rep..

You gotta start askin somewhere...

Advertisement