Roof Gone Bad! Round Dormers, Anyone Have Experience With Them? - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Roof Gone Bad! Round Dormers, Anyone Have Experience With Them?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 284
Unhappy

Roof Gone Bad! Round Dormers, Anyone Have Experience With Them?

I need some help figuring on the best approach. The house originally had round dormers . The homeowner hired a local contractor to roof the entire house. The HO knew the guys and figured they knew what they were doing. There was no discussion on special details concerning the dormers, flashings, ect. No contract as too my knowledge also. The roofers install a 29 gauge menards steel with exsposed fasteners. They installed 2x4 battens over the shingles then applied the steel. Since then , ...the once round dormers grew a peak!?? They converted the round roof to a peak, well the homeowner was not to happy about that. The contractor told the HO there was nothing he could do about it and they are staying that way. This is when I come in. The HO called me for a second opinion and to check over the work. Upon inspecting the work I noticed there is no counter flashing anywhere where the steel roof meets the brick wall. Its an open seam between the new flashing and existing flashing, completely relying on the old flashing under the steel for waterproofing. Same goes for the chimney. Also in the valley the contractor appeared to run out of material putting a splice in a 4' valley, on the other side of the valley he installed a steel roof panel down the valley with the rib being in the center of course instead of valley flashing. The steel goes from being flush with the fascia to 2" every sheet. I've seen some hacks before but this is by far the winner.
Besides the shoddy work the HO is mainly focused on returning the dormers back to the original design and wants me to do it. I am pondering the best approach since the roof is already padded up now with the battens. Should I insist that it all be torn off or pad the roof with some sort of rigid but flexible insulation ,or 2x4 battens parallel with the fascia. I absolutely despise installing roof over roof but looking at it as an option on this. The dormers are either going to be steel standing seam or copper. Any help or suggestion on the best way to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I hope all you guys have a wonderful new years.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof gone Bad!   Round Dormers, Anyone have experience with them?-2012110295152226-1-.jpg   Roof gone Bad!   Round Dormers, Anyone have experience with them?-2012123195133926.jpg  

Last edited by stombaugh85; 02-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Re: Roof Gone Bad! Round Dormers, Anyone Have Experience With Them?

Is it leaking?

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Pro

It was just installed and the temps have been well below freezing. It is obvious the new roof leaks by looking at the install but the fact the old shingled roof is still in place underneath is whats preventing any water damage inside. One real concern is the 2x4 stripping they used will rot away as there is nowhere for the water to drain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 532

Is it possible to bend that steel to keep the round dormers? I don't do steel roofing but it seems it would be a task to bend it to the correct radius
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Ink Slinger

Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Rewards Points: 150

The bigger question is why anyone would purpose to install a barn roof on a brick home with quoin corners and round roof dormers.

Bad decision making process through out. Even if you manage to jury rig a fix into/onto the round roofs, you still have metal that is typically reserved for a pole barn on the house.

The only fault that lies on the installer is that someone trusted a barn builder to install a roof on a fine home. Even at that, barn builders are cast in a poor light because most of them would have enough sense to decline such a job.

Remove steel, install standing seam properly. Do not go with buddy that can do it on the cheap next time.

Lesson learned.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Pro

I completely agree. The sad thing is the HO paid top dollar for this garbage. For the money he has invested , I could have done a complete tear off and installed a quality Standing Seam. Very sad to say the least. Another sad thing is this contractor has been doing business in this area for years installing roofs this way. Of course he is unlicensed . I already looked him up. But I dont want to go down that road. My focus is trying to salvage these dormers IF possible. I would much prefer to rip everything off and start over. The HO personally new this guy and never got any other bids. He just trusted the guy knew what he was doing.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

http://www.bbsheetmetal.com/images/p...84/1284_51.pdf
Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Ink Slinger

Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by stombaugh85 View Post
I completely agree. The sad thing is the HO paid top dollar for this garbage. For the money he has invested , I could have done a complete tear off and installed a quality Standing Seam. Very sad to say the least. Another sad thing is this contractor has been doing business in this area for years installing roofs this way. Of course he is unlicensed . I already looked him up. But I dont want to go down that road. My focus is trying to salvage these dormers IF possible. I would much prefer to rip everything off and start over. The HO personally new this guy and never got any other bids. He just trusted the guy knew what he was doing.
When it becomes obvious that you are dealing with an idiot, you are duty bound to walk away.

It is what it is. It is your job to make it better. That will not be inexpensive.

Why would you want to work only on the dormers? You know that the world accepts as fact that the last one to touch it owns it. You will not get credit for fixing the dormers. You will only get laughed at for working on the barn roof on the nice house.

Walk away. Be the hero somewhere where the customer has a clue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timo For This Useful Post:
FerrisHI (01-01-2013), MAULEMALL (01-01-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #9

Trade: Copper Smith, Slate Roofing, Architectrual Sheet Metal
Rewards Points: 10

I am new to the forum and this is my first post, however I am not new to this trade.

First off the home owner is an idiot. Most are. Some are too trusting, others think they know everything. I have seen too many nightmares like what you are getting yourself into.

Like someone said above, if you touch it, the future leaks will become your fault.

I am a coppersmith by trade and the only way to do it right is to strip it down to the substrate, ensure the substrate is solid, install a proper high temp membrane and redo the sheet metal properly. Curving the metal is easy, copper can be stretched, steel too with a Wuko bender. Be cautious of copper contacting steel... galvanic reaction.

Do it right or walk away. Tell the homeowner his buddy screwed him hard!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Been around

Rewards Points: 1,654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
When it becomes obvious that you are dealing with an idiot, you are duty bound to walk away.

It is what it is. It is your job to make it better. That will not be inexpensive.

Why would you want to work only on the dormers? You know that the world accepts as fact that the last one to touch it owns it. You will not get credit for fixing the dormers. You will only get laughed at for working on the barn roof on the nice house.

Walk away. Be the hero somewhere where the customer has a clue.
I pretty much agree with this.

I won't completely condemn the 'barn roof' no matter how far out of place I think it is on this house. The customer bought it and it is his place to buy what he wants.

I would not shy away from coaching the HO a little on what possible recourse might be available. If you feel there is some kind of relationship between you and the HO, a quick look at the contract.... doh!! there was no contract.....

If you look at this job any way other than a complete replacement you will end up regretting it......guaranteed.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

heres your options:

1) a sell a complete tear off and redo it the whole thing correctly. (this will be expensive but will prove not just to the HO but others in your area that you refuse to do shoddy work)

2) walk away.

Advertisement