Ridge Vent - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Ridge Vent

Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 500

Ridge Vent

i am having my roof done. Can a ridge vent cause my home to be colder in winter? Let's say I don't have a lot of insulation in my attic, will a ridge vent not only make my attic colder but the downstairs living area as well?
Final question... Obviously a ridge vent keeps the interior roof colder and prevents melting. Eventually it has to melt, will that cause damning or is the whole roof melting at the same time which prevents the ice damn?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,430

Re: Ridge Vent

If not having a ridge vent is keeping your house warmer , I do think you have problems, more insulation needed. I did a house with a steel roof a number of years ago and the guy swore up and down I made his house colder. Which in fact I probably did. After looking in the attic there was barely enough insulation to cover the 2x4 ceiling. Made me spray foam in the roof edges ribs before I could collect on the job.
He was the type that was over educated.
I do believe a proper vent and insulated roof will be cooler in the summer there by the shingles lasting longer and keep the heat away from the roof in the winter there by less ice damming.
IMO I would not leave the ridge vent off.

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
is the whole roof melting at the same time which prevents the ice damn?
Yes. Freezing at the roof edges and melting in the other areas due to attic heat causes ice dams.

I wired up my attic fan so I could turn it on in the winter to prevent ice dams. In principle it would work but practically it's hard to tell unless you run the fan all the time and everyone else is having dams and you aren't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Quote:
i am having my roof done. Can a ridge vent cause my home to be colder in winter? Let's say I don't have a lot of insulation in my attic, will a ridge vent not only make my attic colder but the downstairs living area as well?
Final question... Obviously a ridge vent keeps the interior roof colder and prevents melting. Eventually it has to melt, will that cause damning or is the whole roof melting at the same time which prevents the ice damn?
What attic ventilation you have now? Do you have gable vents with a vented soffit, or just gable vents?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Pro

I have gable vents and soffits. My roofer will close up the gable vents, make sure the soffits are functioning, and then install the ridge vent.
What I am still confused about is this.. The ridge vent will make the roof cooler thereby reducing melting from the ridge. However, the snow has to eventually melt right? Won't that in itself cause damning? Or is it that the whole roof melts together with a ridge vent including the eaves so there is no snow at the edges to damn?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,310

Quote:
I have gable vents and soffits. My roofer will close up the gable vents, make sure the soffits are functioning, and then install the ridge vent.
What I am still confused about is this.. The ridge vent will make the roof cooler thereby reducing melting from the ridge. However, the snow has to eventually melt right? Won't that in itself cause damning? Or is it that the whole roof melts together with a ridge vent including the eaves so there is no snow at the edges to damn?
You will be fine, ridge and soffit is the best attic ventilation you can get... To avoid ice dam, make sure no warm air or humidity escapes from the house into the attic. Make sure you have good ceiling insulation that will reduce heat loss by conduction.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,772

Quote:
No matter what you do, there will be heat loss into the attic from the conditioned space below.

There is a possibility of the warm air melting the snow on top of the ridge vent, and the water flowing under the snow and creating an ice dam. The snow will act like an insulator and there could be water under it turning into ice when it cools.

This is usually only when it is a year with high snow totals and low temps. Make sure to keep the venting clear, especially if you notice it covered in snow or has formation of ice.

I have seen this on many houses and it rarely causes problems because it only happens for a short length of time. Last year, we had plenty of snow and did a lot of snow removal. Skylights, bathroom and range vents can and will do the same in these deep snow, low temp winters.

Never hurts to add insulation and save some of your heat and cooling.

Make sure those gable vents are closed and the soffit vents are functional.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #8

Trade: GC

The idea of venting is to keep the attic space at the same temp as the outside. How an ice dam usually forms is the attic space is above freezing which melts snow from the underside and when it gets to the eave it will freeze because the 1' or 2' that is on the outside of the interior wall is below freezing. When it freezes it gets bigger and bigger due to blocking the snow that is continually melting over the surface of the roof. At some point it will work it's way under the shingles melt again when it come in contact with the warmer sheathing and end up on your kitchen table. In short you NEED the vent.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Carbon Dioxide Producer

Trade: EC

I thought all the asphalt shingle manufacturers were requiring ridge and soffit venting to be installed in order for their 30 and 40-year architectural grade shingle "warranties" to be in effect?
Maybe not.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMass
I thought all the asphalt shingle manufacturers were requiring ridge and soffit venting to be installed in order for their 30 and 40-year architectural grade shingle "warranties" to be in effect?
Maybe not.
Nope. You just need the proper amount of exhaust and intake. Majority of roofs don't have that and that's why 9 out of 10 roof warranties invalid.
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
DuMass (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
However, the snow has to eventually melt right?
It can go directly from solid to vapor.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: sales

By installing a ridge vent, you will decrease ice damns because as you said, the ridge won't melt before the eaves and there will be no snow at the eaves to damn..The temp will be the same throughout opposed to the eaves being much colder than the ridge.

Last edited by welterweight; 10-25-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
By installing a ridge vent, you will decrease ice dams because as you said, the ridge won't melt before the eaves and there will be no snow at the eaves to damn..The temp will be the same throughout opposed to the eaves being much colder than the ridge.

Kinda. The idea is to try to keep the entire attic area the same temp as the eaves, not just at the ridge. There is still going to be snow at the eaves if there is snow on the roof.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingBy View Post
It can go directly from solid to vapor.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Freeze dry.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
Pro

Ok..so keep the whole roof the same temp as eaves.. if there can stll be snow on the eaves, there will be snow everywhere else? Or just not neatly as much therefore reducingnthe amount of meltbat the ridge?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Ok..so keep the whole roof the same temp as eaves..
Via ventilation AND insulation. You haven't mentioned how well the attic is insulated. Pay special attention to the area over the top plate on exterior walls, which is especially hard to insulate if you have a ranch. You need baffles there, at least at the soffit vents*, so you can get the most insulation possible without restricting air flow.

Most ice dams we looked at last year were due to poor insulation near recessed lights, at uninsulated attic hatches, bathroom exhausts vented into the attic, etc.

*Ideally you'd have continuous soffit vents if you're switching to ridge vent. An imbalance exhaust/intake can pull conditioned air from the living space, so technically yes- it could make the house colder in winter.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #17

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Adding a ridge vent will make the attic colder in the winter, especially on a metal roof. But with proper insulation, there should be no problems. Its better to add the ridge vent then have none at all. Cuts down on humidity

http://www.lavezzoconstruction.com
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

colder in the winter? whoda thunk
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok..so keep the whole roof the same temp as eaves.. if there can stll be snow on the eaves, there will be snow everywhere else? Or just not neatly as much therefore reducingnthe amount of meltbat the ridge?

Yes that is what you are trying to do. Keep the entire roof the same temp. Also in the summer you want to be able to cool off the attic space, soffit vents and a ridge vent let cooler air in through the soffitt and the hot air out through the ridge.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Retail and insurance repair claims consultant
Rewards Points: 258

Proper soffit ventilation with chutes and ridge vent - then make sure your insulation is sufficient.

Advertisement