Opinions Please. Plus I'm Gonna Complain For A Minute. - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Opinions Please. Plus I'm Gonna Complain For A Minute.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Clark Construction

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 25

Opinions Please. Plus I'm Gonna Complain For A Minute.

So today, I'm enjoying the first fall turkey season Gilmore county WV has ever had and I get a voice message, from someone I framed an addition for 9 months ago. The home owners finished it.

She said their bathroom leaked last night and I needed to come check it out immediately. So i left and took the 4 hour drive back to where I live, got my ladder climbed on the roof and i see that they on
Attached Thumbnails
opinions please. plus I'm gonna complain for a minute.-forumrunner_20131015_002145.jpg   opinions please. plus I'm gonna complain for a minute.-forumrunner_20131015_002218.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Clark Construction

Re: Opinions Please. Plus I'm Gonna Complain For A Minute.

There's more. I accidentally hit the send button. Haha

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Clark Construction

And i see what's on pic number 1. This atrocious job of installing a roof boot. It was installed after my job was done and paid for.

So I drove for 4 hours with a pit in my stomach worried to death that I ruined someone's bathroom due to my negligence and this is what I see! I planned on staying and turkey hunting for 2 more days! It was 9 months ago and the stupid sob couldn't check his own chit before calling me

This is where id like your opinion please:

The second pic is where i tied the new roof onto the old roof. I had to take some of the shingles off of the old roof to tie em in.

Where my new shingles are laying on the old roof, they are uneven and bumpy, just like the rest of the old roof. It is not plywood, just a bunch of roughcut 1x's.

He is insisting that i fix the bumpy shingles, but I can't it's not possible, his roof is like that and even if it would be fixable, it ain't my problem to fix his old roof. How far would it go? Until I went clear across and replaced his whole roof for him.

It seems really unreasonable to me. Am I wrong?

Btw. I didn't match the shingle colors, he did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,196

Last edited by Calidecks; 10-14-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10,196

Tell him you will fix it, but it's an extra charge. What does your contract say?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Clark Construction

It says frame and roof addition and tie new roof into existing roof.

I gave him an estimate to sheet over and reroof the rest of his house plus the part that is new, because the new meeting would need to match all the way to the valley, but he seems to just repeating that i need to come fix it. My whole point to him is that that ain't my roof. I didn't frame that roof. I just pulled up what i had to to tie it in. He just doesn't seem to get it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 886

I would simply say no. Also I would consider adding something to your contract about service calls for out of warranty leak issues.

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. You can't possibly be responsible for something you didn't do. This is where your contract comes in really handy. I don't have a clue to what you're legally responsible for as I don't know what was agreed to in writing, but I'd give him an invoice for a service call on the pipe boot and tell him to have a nice day.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Trees are Cool

Trade: Carpenter Builder
Rewards Points: 215

Don't forget the 4 hours of travel time. Your off time is worth more than your work time.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I would have fixed the boot, left and mailed him a $1300 bill for his own retardation.

As far as fixing the old roof I wouldn't do anything. That's not you problem as far as I'm concerned. Some people have no shame and try to force people into fixing other stuff. Last week we sided a house, the lady wanted a screen door so o told her to go pick one out and I would put it on. She ordered one that is going to take 3 weeks to come in and is holding 2200 bucks of mine till "you finish"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
cevinklark (10-15-2013), madrina (10-17-2013), Metro M & L (10-16-2013), twill59 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Tell him you will fix it, but it's an extra charge. What does your contract say?
You can never completely eliminate these types of complaints, but you can minimize them with a simple addition to your contract/proposal.

Anytime you see a situation that your experience tells you may be a potential problem, bring it to the HO's attention before writing your proposal. Sometimes the get it and you include the remedy in your quote.

Sometimes they just want what they asked for and don't care about the other. (Until it's time to hang it on you.) Insert an option that explains the potential problem and a remedy to assure it does not. Price it separately and add a spot for them to initial that they either accept or deny the option. (Accept __________ No Thank You __________) They have to choose one and reinforce the idea that you told them so for later.

Hopefully you have after pics to show the boot was not there when you finished. I'd tell him to call the plumber.

Good Luck
Dave
cevinklark (10-15-2013), LeeFowler (10-15-2013), VinylHanger (10-17-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Clark Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post

You can never completely eliminate these types of complaints, but you can minimize them with a simple addition to your contract/proposal.

Anytime you see a situation that your experience tells you may be a potential problem, bring it to the HO's attention before writing your proposal. Sometimes the get it and you include the remedy in your quote.

Sometimes they just want what they asked for and don't care about the other. (Until it's time to hang it on you.) Insert an option that explains the potential problem and a remedy to assure it does not. Price it separately and add a spot for them to initial that they either accept or deny the option. (Accept __________ No Thank You __________) They have to choose one and reinforce the idea that you told them so for later.

Hopefully you have after pics to show the boot was not there when you finished. I'd tell him to call the plumber.

Good Luck
Dave
Yea. Luckily, I have after pics.

He did the plumbing himself. Sad part is he is an electricic and hvac contractor. U would think he's had to vent a unit out the roof before.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevinklark View Post
Yea. Luckily, I have after pics.

He did the plumbing himself. Sad part is he is an electricic and hvac contractor. U would think he's had to vent a unit out the roof before.
So, he did the vent pipe AFTER you installed the roof? That is absolutely ridiculous. Even John & Mary Homeowner would know better than to install the boot like that.

As for the "bumpiness" where new roof ties into old, I'd tell him to pound sand. He refused your offer to re-deck and roof the "bumpy" portion of his roof, but chose not to do it.

I'd also hand him a bill for 5 hours of my time for the non warranty repair. $Tree-Fiddy at the minimum.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Clark Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post

I'd also hand him a bill for 5 hours of my time for the non warranty repair. $Tree-Fiddy at the minimum.

I usually don't do what I wanna do on these situations to save face, but if he wastes my time In court. I'm going to hit him with a sizable bill and damages for delay, being that he supplied the materials, but they were never there on time. I always keep track of those things as a little insurance.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Quote:
I usually don't do what I wanna do on these situations to save face, but if he wastes my time In court. I'm going to hit him with a sizable bill and damages for delay, being that he supplied the materials, but they were never there on time. I always keep track of those things as a little insurance.
Give him a bill for consulting services, determining the cause of the roof leak. In that bill include a proposal for repairs to the boot. Also include a description of the problem. Also include a proposal for fixing the entire roof.

The bill should include travel time, both ways. It should clearly state that the problem was created by an improper installation of the boot which was installed after the shingling was completed.

At that point he is unlikely to sue you, he will just want you, and that bill, to go away.
cevinklark (10-15-2013), twill59 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

Btw. I didn't match the shingle colors, he did.
Doesn't appear that anybody did!
cevinklark (10-15-2013), griz (10-15-2013), twill59 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Forget about that - if you had damages worth the fight, you would have or should have dealt with it then.
Of course you're willing to fix the bumpy shingles. He regrets not taking your earlier recommendation (quote #X, dated xx/yy/zz) to re-deck and shingle the old part of the roof, and he wants you to send him a new quote, with a new price, with a cover letter explaining how happy you'd be to help him now that he's changed his mind, after not taking your earlier recommendation etc. etc.
What's he going to sue you for? Putting on a new roof that's dry except where he messed up?
DavidC (10-16-2013), griz (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,452

Quote:
You said, he said, they said we said....ain't nobody gonna win....

Why the fvck did you let HO buy materials?

Did you document the roof conditions in your contract?
Via RFI/memo/email/phone call did you document bad shingle match and advise entire roof needed to be replaced?
CarpenterSFO (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Op hasnt said he found the leak... He only pointed out the poor vent install.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
Clark Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Op hasnt said he found the leak... He only pointed out the poor vent install.
It was the leak plus a poor vent install.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
Clark Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

You said, he said, they said we said....ain't nobody gonna win....

Why the fvck did you let HO buy materials?

Did you document the roof conditions in your contract?
Via RFI/memo/email/phone call did you document bad shingle match and advise entire roof needed to be replaced?
I don't have a problem with homeowner buying materials.

There have been lawsuits by homeowners against contractors in which the homeowner lost because they are considered the GC of the job, buying materials was one of the main reasons they were considered GC.

Plus its a lot less money out of pocket. I plan for delays and missed material markup when i work my estimate.

He'd probably get a better deal if I did supply materials, but I don't feel like I'm out of anything by letting him supply.

I didnt see alotta reason to document his existing roof condition in the contract considering its not my scope of work. I guess in hindsight it would have been a good idea, but at the time I probably would have never thought of it.

Advertisement