Metal Roofing Questions?? - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Metal Roofing Questions??

Old 01-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
Aka clvr83

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 256

Metal Roofing Questions??

First of all, I've been thinking about posting this for about two years.

The pole barn roofs have invaded my area. I've broke down and installed a couple, they are okay but I always tell my clients they are about the same lifetime as a professional(read:expert & luck) shingle install.

Question: How am I seeing so many pitch changes on roofs WITHOUT a pitch change flashing???

Seriously. I keep expecting to drive by these houses and see that they've been fixed, but apparently they aren't leaking.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,250

Re: Metal Roofing Questions??

There may be some kind of sealant or butyl tape being used. The pitch change metal just increases the distance of potential water infiltration.

Those systems can last if correct installation methods are used. Fasteners put on the flat of the panel are not one of them ( excluding the trims ) IMO

Advertisement

Last edited by red_cedar; 01-08-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Aka clvr83

Yea, I figured their was a sealant, but I'm a traditional type. I want a few to six inches separating the water from the entry point(and I'm sure you do to). It just seems careless. Kind of like I'm not seeing a flashing kit around the skylights. Bottom panel just butts up to the skylight. I'm assuming it's just caulked but I can't tell from the road. I need to carry some binoculars and tell the ol' lady to grab the wheel for a second. The jobs I have been called out to have metal caulked to pipes and whatknot, so I'm assuming it's the same class.

We install the screws into the flats because thats what the manufacturer's recommend. I do understand why you would install into the rib, but I've never seen a screw around here in the rib. Not that I'm against doing it different than everybody else, I've been there plenty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 84

We are asked more and more about metal roofing also. Typically they are referring to the classic rib "pole barn style" roofing you speak of with exposed fasteners and not a nice standing seam. I always defend shingles vs corrugated metal on a sale any day of the week unless its installed where it belongs, on a barn... Many homeowners think they have a 50+ year roof with "any" metal and that's not always the case. I usually tell them to Google the lifespan of rubber grommets exposed on roofs and compare that to normal or luxury shingles lifespan.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Aka clvr83

I'm with ya Zach but I've finally broke down. I just tell people the washers can go out and that this product will rust through much quicker than the 26/24 gauge roofs we suggest. I normally talk myself right out the front door
The Following User Says Thank You to dDubya For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-08-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
YUUUUP!

Trade: Metal Roofing Mogul
Rewards Points: 916

I've installed MANY roofs with this style panel and never had any troubles so far. A few of those roofs are close to ten years old. And a majority of the area I live in is semi close if kot right on the Gulf of Mexico. Guess it's all how you install it.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Aka clvr83

Jwilliams: Good to know. If it weren't for a recommendation of somebody else competent in southern LA, I wouldn't be so comfortable installing it. I know it's limitations, so I'm okay with it but do try to limit it's use. I've seen it on a 1/12 too many times.

Do you use a pitch change piece?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
YUUUUP!

Trade: Metal Roofing Mogul
Rewards Points: 916

Yes I use transistion
Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,550

My dad's house in Alaska has the slightly older style rib but I think still 29 gauge, with nails and rubber grommets, still holding up fine, but about time to replace the nails with #14 screws.

Where I started contracting in Alaska, there were lots of the newer Delta rib style, many with really bad installation, over driven screws, etc, that look more or less new at 15 or so years.

I installed it on sheds, garages, my own house, an airplane hangar, and a couple customs because it was a common look.

Advertisement