Metal Roof -almost - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Metal Roof -almost

Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Metal Roof -almost

I have the contract laying here and all I need to do is call the guy back and sign on the dotted line, and presto we would have a tamko stone crest slate roof, not sure of color. I have been going back and forth since about November on the pros and cons of metal vs. asphalt shingles. I have seen a few metal jobs this company has done and they look darn good. We are in the house we plan to grow old in. the kids are young and we don't plan on moving unless some sort of bad job thing happens it is Michigan which, the state is close to shutting down with the current economy so you never know. the only factor I have against is cost. it is currently a little over 2.5 times more than traditional asphalt at todays prices. I know that cost will only go up so in the long run will I save money. the product has a 50 year warranty which puts me in my 80's so at that point put me in my wheel chair and send me to the old fart home. how many people have used metal or have seen any return or loss on a home that put a metal roof on. We live in the country so we don't have any neighbors close. I have seen people say that in a sub or city sometimes metal roofs stick out and people don't like them. cost looks, what else should I think about. thanks for any help from the experts out their.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Re: Metal Roof -almost

I don't think you have to go any nicer than the second level product which Menards carries. It is just a step up from the stuff usually put on pole barns, etc.

Secondly, there should be some savings in roof sheathing. I have had people tell me you have to sheath a residential application with steel roofing, but I don't believe it. What are your thoughts on this?

Will you install yourself or have a crew do it? The installation should be very inexpensive, another savings.

If you want to install yourself, maybe you would consider doing a garage or shed first to see how it goes?

I think the stuff looks sharp on a 4/12 hip roof with some considerations, namely it should be the right color and the hue should be flat, not glossy. I'm thinking flat brown or green.

If you have a foursquare with white siding, then I suppose you just pick whatever color trips your trigger. There was a post a while back with bright red, glossy standing seam and it looked surprisingly good.

Once people understand that it is quality, then they equate this with "good".

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofer
Rewards Points: 150

We install metal roofs, all kinds. 80% of the quality of the roof comes from its installation. So making sure you have a good installer to put it on is more important than choosing a good salesman. A well-installed metal roof means you've invested in your home. A permanent metal roof appreciates at the same rate as your house does. As for the warranty, the best warranty is the one you never have to look up. Again, quality of installation has a huge role to play in that.
Pretty much all of my customers (who buy metal roofs) are looking at:
  1. Appearance
  2. Durability
  3. Value
  4. No-maintenance
(more or less in that order).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #4

Trade: Roofer
Rewards Points: 75

Hello,

pgriz is right on the money. A metal roof will last for a looong time. I too install metal panels. We have our own machines so we can roll panels on the job. We also have our own sheet metal shop for the trim. I would find out if they roll on the job or buy pre-cut panels. If they buy pre-cut I would make sure they get a correct take off of your roof.

Keith
Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Listen to roofboy. I have installed pre-cut panels but make sure thy're measured correctly, some guys around here only hang over 1", IMO at least 1.5" to 2' for standing seam and installation is crucial, it's very easy if you understand the application and can be done by a novice if they take they're time and pay close attention. Also listen to whoever it was that said about color, don't pick something off the wall, greens, burgundy, and some reds look great but think it through and try to match your trim and shutters to it to make it look like you actually thought it through.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyguy2002 View Post
I have the contract laying here and all I need to do is call the guy back and sign on the dotted line, and presto we would have a tamko stone crest slate roof, not sure of color. I have been going back and forth since about November on the pros and cons of metal vs. asphalt shingles. I have seen a few metal jobs this company has done and they look darn good. We are in the house we plan to grow old in. the kids are young and we don't plan on moving unless some sort of bad job thing happens it is Michigan which, the state is close to shutting down with the current economy so you never know. the only factor I have against is cost. it is currently a little over 2.5 times more than traditional asphalt at todays prices. I know that cost will only go up so in the long run will I save money. the product has a 50 year warranty which puts me in my 80's so at that point put me in my wheel chair and send me to the old fart home. how many people have used metal or have seen any return or loss on a home that put a metal roof on. We live in the country so we don't have any neighbors close. I have seen people say that in a sub or city sometimes metal roofs stick out and people don't like them. cost looks, what else should I think about. thanks for any help from the experts out their.
Hi, I have installed tamko vermont slate metal roof for one of our clients in RI.

For the most part I liked installing this product. It offers great looks and resembles the look of slate.

The only improvements I would recommend to the panel is to increase the size of the lock on the panel, as it seemed to be a bit small for the size of the panel.

I would also like to see this product in aluminum because G 90 steel does offer a good protection, but it would not be good right near the coastline for structures such as beach house. For the most part it is a good panel.

It does require special skills to install it, and the installation process takes longer than conventional asphalt roof. So the price is justified for two reasons, number one the product costs more, number two it takes longer to install.

Another important element with metal roofing is the type of underlayment used and ventilation for the roof installation.

Ask the installers about what they plan to do for ventilation.

As far as underlayment, we like to use deck armor, which offers breathable underlayment protection, which is something that I recommend for a long life of a metal roof.

The 50 years warranty only covers the product, not the worksmanship.

In other words if roof starts leaking due to the product failure, than manufacturer will pay for replacement panel and the labor to replace it.
However, if the roof fails due to improper installation than you will have to chase the installers.

Last edited by metalroofguy; 02-12-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #7

Metal is definetly the way to go. I haven't installed anything from tamko. We install Gerard, Decra, Metro, Allmet, and a few others. All have 50 year or more warranties. You may want to check them out to see if they have a style you like. Metal roofs are way more labor intensive than traditional roofing products, so be careful who you hire. Check references and as many past jobs as you have time. Being that you live in Michigan, you may want to ask about ice and storm shield. We only install it here when requested, but you guys get way more snow than we do. hope it works out for you.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #8

The same company put a standing seam roof on a barn at my in laws so I know what kind of work they do. I have also driven around and looked at some of the jobs they have done with the tamko products. I know they put an underlayment down not sure of the brand name but the sample was very heavy duty strong and untearable and made of some sort of poly ??? something. they are going to put in ridge venting since we have ridge and soffit venting with our current roof. the ice shield they have not mentioned but I think I would prefer they put it on. that can't be that much more to put on at the eves. thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Felt is good enough if your roofer in only interedted in a potential mist/spray 'leakage'. If the under lay is used to prevent leaks (Take that to mean some roofers rely more on underlay than the roof itself).

I've been installing tin since the 60's directly on the roof deck.

Advertisement