Major Roof Issue - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Major Roof Issue

Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: exteriors
Rewards Points: 406

Major Roof Issue

We put up a new roof on a 1960's split level. About 2 years after we did the install, the homeowner complained of some leaks whenever it snows.
We went over and took care of it. I forget where the leak was emanating from but it may have been through a nail, i dont remeber. Whenever is rains/ downpours, she gets no leak, only when it snows alot and there is ice.
The leak is now coming from the midpoint of the roof, not at a valley and not by a wall. Its about 8 ft up from the gutter and a few feet from the ridge. Smack in the middle of the roof.
We used ice/ water in all the correct places. And you normally wouldnt put ice and water in the middle of the roof.
Any idea why this could happen?
Normal pitch, not flat in any way.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,698

Re: Major Roof Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
We put up a new roof on a 1960's split level. About 2 years after we did the install, the homeowner complained of some leaks whenever it snows.
We went over and took care of it. I forget where the leak was emanating from but it may have been through a nail, i dont remeber. Whenever is rains/ downpours, she gets no leak, only when it snows alot and there is ice.
The leak is now coming from the midpoint of the roof, not at a valley and not by a wall. Its about 8 ft up from the gutter and a few feet from the ridge. Smack in the middle of the roof.
We used ice/ water in all the correct places. And you normally wouldnt put ice and water in the middle of the roof.
When you have snow and ice on the roof, the water is unable to rundown, instead its moving upwards under the shingle causing a leak. Hard to find where the leak is coming from, and this could be one of those things when such condition occurs one and only time.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Pro

We are ripping off about 2 squares and installing ice shield. I feel absolutely aweful about it and feel bad for the homeowner. I am also embarassed to be quite honest. Here they are hiring me and trusting me, now they have leaks. I just feel bad about the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing and siding
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by power
We put up a new roof on a 1960's split level. About 2 years after we did the install, the homeowner complained of some leaks whenever it snows. We went over and took care of it. I forget where the leak was emanating from but it may have been through a nail, i dont remeber. Whenever is rains/ downpours, she gets no leak, only when it snows alot and there is ice. The leak is now coming from the midpoint of the roof, not at a valley and not by a wall. Its about 8 ft up from the gutter and a few feet from the ridge. Smack in the middle of the roof. We used ice/ water in all the correct places. And you normally wouldnt put ice and water in the middle of the roof. Any idea why this could happen? Normal pitch, not flat in any way.
Get in the attic if it has one and find the spot. We had a can light dripping water in a vaulted roof with no penetrations only during melting snow weather. We could not see anything so we starting removing shingles in the and found a low nail, less than a quarter of the head showing, that fixed it.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing and siding
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by power
We are ripping off about 2 squares and installing ice shield. I feel absolutely aweful about it and feel bad for the homeowner. I am also embarassed to be quite honest. Here they are hiring me and trusting me, now they have leaks. I just feel bad about the whole thing.
I feel your pain. The important thing is you are going to take care of the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to All City For This Useful Post:
roofermann (02-22-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Pro

Good point on the low nails. If a nail is placed too far below the nail line, the head is exposed and vulnerable to water instrusion. I hope thats not the issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

Did you back cut your shingles in the valley. I have seen roofs leak in the middle of the roof from not back cutting at the valley. Water will get under the shingles at the valley and run sideways on top of the rows of shingles. We always cut the tops of the shingles running into the valley so that any water that gets under them will return to the valley and not run across the top of the rows. Just a thought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muskoka guy For This Useful Post:
BFD (03-23-2014), LeeFowler (02-23-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
It's probably a nail located in a joint. If you stagger the shingles 6 inches and someone spaced a nail 6 inches over from the edge you could get a leak.

Otherwise it could caused by the shingle design it it's OC.
Tom M (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 11,408

Could also be an undersized joist flexing and pushing fasteners up a little. I like the nail in the seam theory. I would be gently lifting all the seams in the area. Be sure to reseal.

Advertisement